Winchester 94, can peep and rear sight go together

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Winchester 94, can peep and rear sight go together

Post by LoyalValley »

My Winchester 94 was built in 1962. The gunsmith installed a Lymann 66 peep sight plus a Marble green fiber sight. Unfortunately it‘s too low I hardly find it when looking through the peep. I contacted Lyman an Marble both were very helpful and told me what hight the front sight must have.

At present I‘m oversees so I still have to install the higher front sight. But one question crossed my mind: will it be necessary or advisable to remove the rear sight? Because I don’t want to interfere with the historic appearance too much, I would rather leave it on.

If I have to remove it, where do I get the 'nicest’ sight slot blanc from? It should match Winchesters old design, don’t want anything fancy or bulky. As small and ‘invisible’ as possible. Thanks guys, great forum 👏.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester 94, can peep and rear sight go together

Post by gamekeeper »

You can order a dovetail slot blank from Brownells, it may need a little file work for a perfect fit but I'd wait until you have the correct front sight and see how it looks.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You will get a cleaner/full sight picture through the peepsight if the rear barrel open sight is disappeared.

If you can get your hands on any old longleaf rear open sight, a dovetail slot filler to replace the rear bbl sight is easily fashioned from it's male dovetail section.

Image Image

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:25 am You can order a dovetail slot blank from Brownells, it may need a little file work for a perfect fit but I'd wait until you have the correct front sight and see how it looks.
Adjust the blank, not the slot on the rifle. If for some reason it's a little big, a small shim can be cut from a pop can.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mine did.

The folding rear was set for sub loads and the peep for full power loads.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I have ordered a "fancy" blank from Homestead Parts and gonna remove the rear sight. Greeting from South Africa...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had my gunsmith make opposing dove tails in a peice of brass about 6 inches long. I use a band saw and hack off the length I need and install in slot then a little file work to shape and finish. I think it looks pretty good on octogon barrels. Just one of the options I use
I have also cut the rear sight as shown above as a blank.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The old Lyman No. 6 (now the No. 16) was made for this purpose. I have one on a Marlin 1897 with a tang peep. I think the sight on Nath's rifle above is a Lyman 16 or something very close to it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:28 am The old Lyman No. 6 (now the No. 16) was made for this purpose. I have one on a Marlin 1897 with a tang peep. I think the sight on Nath's rifle above is a Lyman 16 or something very close to it.
Think it is a 16. Folds down anyway.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Nath, that's a good idea.
I have just developed a small game load for my 94 with Universal, about mimics a 32/20, but would have to change the rear sight between loads - I could do what you have done too if I put my peep sight back on it....
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It sure was nice of that little bunny to pose there with Nath's rifle. I seldom get a chance anymore to have such helpful animals pose with my firearms. I am actively attempting to remedy that situation.

Nath, I like that picture. It, or one similar, should be used as an advert for a firearm related product.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Can the folding rear sight Marlin uses be substituted on a Winchester? I have a 26" 94 Classic that I want to install a tang sight on it and was thinking of putting the Marlin sight on the barrel.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BruceB wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:01 pm Can the folding rear sight Marlin uses be substituted on a Winchester? I have a 26" 94 Classic that I want to install a tang sight on it and was thinking of putting the Marlin sight on the barrel.

yes, it can - have done that on several

there also traditional rear sights with elevator that have a folding blade

i have various arrangements like this on most of my rifles that have tang sights
cable