Veterans Day Doe -- with a Levergun!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Veterans Day Doe -- with a Levergun!

Post by Old No7 »

Yeah! Finally, I can post a leverguns topic!!! :wink:

October was the warmest ever on record here in Maine and the first 2 weekends of the rifle deer season were the same -- much too warm. All this week while traveling on business in Canada I was praying for (among other more important things, of course) much c-c-c-colder weather to get the deer moving... Turns out I got my wish... At oh-dark-thirty this morning -- Veterans Day -- as I left the house, it was a balmy 14 degrees outside... Brrrr! Who asked for this?!?! :D

Not to worry, as I had plenty of wool to wear. Last year, I'd hunted the east side of the property where I hunt, and saw nothing. After seeing only squirrels on that side during 2 scouting trips and on the first 2 weekends, I changed to the west side. I'd gotten a small buck on that side 2 falls ago; and there's some running water in a small stream and open water in a beaver pond, plus a marshy area located next to hardwoods which contain an oak-covered ridge. I figured that could be a good spot to try again.

8:45 AM... I'm sitting on the ground taking a break, leaning back against a tree in a decent spot overlooking a marshy swale that was downslope from the oak ridge and about 100 yards from the pond. Hey, there's a deer's ear flicking... (Never have I seen the full body of a deer at the first sighting...) Wait, there's 2 deer now, both does, about 30 yards out and crossing the old & overgrown skidder trail that I was sitting on, at the edge. As they passed behind a blown-down uprooted tree, I shifted slightly to the right and readied my Savage 99A in .250-3000. As soon as the first one, which I could already tell was the largest, cleared the root ball, -- I lined up on her chest (just above and forward of the heart) and fired! I swear I saw the bullet smack the very same hair that I had aimed at!

The doe's rear legs kicked WAY UP in the air and then she charged towards me! She passed by my right side SO CLOSE that I had blood droplets on my arm and the tree was also spattered! Meanwhile the other smaller doe also charged towards my tree too -- only she stopped less than 2 feet from me! Just for a second, I'd thought I was "running with the does" or something... She stood there with her bulging brown eyes wide open and her neck stretched out looking at me like "What was that? And what are you anyway?" Although I had both an Antlerless Deer Tag and a Bonus Doe Tag for this season, I hadn't yet jacked the empty round out as I knew that my first shot was true, plus I wanted to use the Bonus Tag first and then go out again looking for a buck later. So instead of shooting the 2nd doe, which I easily could have done several times, I just leaned forward and touched her muzzle with my gun's muzzle to shoo her away!

As she turned and ran away, the doe that I'd shot finished her loop around the tree and followed the other doe, falling several times again, until I could see the smaller deer run out of sight and the larger one fall in a clump. Then I jacked in a new shell and took note of what had just happened... Wow! A nice big doe for the freezer! And as I stood there, I remembered I'd made God a Promise that if he Blessed me with meat this day (I always say a silent prayer asking for safety and thanking My Lord for all my other blessings when entering the woods), that I'd ask the local Game Warden for the name of an area veteran he knows who'd like some venison, and I'd pass along some deer meat along to a deserving vet to honor his service and the Day.

The 250 Savage bullet missed a rib going in, went just up and left of the heart as I'd aimed (as my best friend and now my daughter's father-in-law loves to eat deer heart) and it missed a rib going out, so the through-and-through 1/4" hole punctured both lungs and the deer was down after running 30 yards towards me and then about the same distance going away from me. She was stone dead when I'd gotten to her, after letting the woods quiet down for 10 minutes or so...

So here she is -- a nice full-of-fat 135# dressed Maine Whitetail Doe:
Doe 11-11-17 02 (Small).jpg

Those "ugly" black patches on the grip and forearm are stick-on rubber pieces that I just added this week because that stock is SO "slickery" -- slick and slippery (and almost dangerous with gloves on...) -- and I'll plan to refinish that stock in a more walnut-colored hand-rubbed oil finish and add some checkering. The rubber grips helped me make a good shot today, but they gotta go -- a nice Savage 99 deserves a better grip & look than it has now -- so I'll put some time and money into it over the winter.

Here's the doe's last meal:
Doe 11-11-17 04 (Small).jpg

That small sprig of evergreen was gently placed in her mouth and then I said a silent prayer thanking Our Lord for the deer. That's based on an old German Jaeger hunting tradition I learned while hunting over in Bavaria once years ago... The evergreen is green all year -- symbolizing continued life -- and the deer's life thus helps to sustain our life. Or something like that... Anyway, I think it's a nice way to honor the animal and it gives me pause to give thanks before all the work begins.

As you can see here, the body of this doe was almost as wide as my SUV...
Doe 11-11-17 03 (Small).jpg

All in all, not a bad day in the woods at all, and I'm thankful for my harvest -- and that my 250 Savage levergun performed well too. :wink:

Happy Huntin'!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Veterans Day Doe -- with a Levergun!

Post by piller »

Very nice. Congratulations on a great hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very well done. And thanks for sharing that great story!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post, almost like being there..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Darn nice doe pard and great story, congrats and thanks for sharing 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep....the most important detail is the rifle you are using.....anything else is a bonus.

Nice pics----6
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How the heck did I miss this!!

Well done 7, great report and what an amazing episode!

Was it the store bought bargain Remington ammo?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job! Never heard that about the "last meal". That's pretty cool.
Got just as big a kick outta the "close encounter". I've had then a few times and it is just a great experience.
Good for you!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nice!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:30 pm Was it the store bought bargain Remington ammo?
Nath.
Well Nath, I didn't think it was a "bargain" at the time, but the Rem .250 Savage ammo in the only load I've seen for that caliber.

But I'm saving the brass so I can roll my own for future seasons. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wow
What an experience! you wont forget that any time soon!
Congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS