Pheasant season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Pheasant season

Post by GunnyMack »

Our season opened today. My .410 spoke twice, 2 birds down.
Claro hunted beautifully!
When I got home I gave a tail feather to Parker and before I knew it she was dragging the rooster all over the yard.
After cleaning the birds I put a feather out on the lawn for Parker to hunt. When I took her out to pee she just about did a flip when walking past the feather! Puppy has a nose!!
image.jpg
Wish I could post videos here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pheasant season

Post by 2ndovc »

:D :D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent.
The puppy is lovely.
Well done you.
Well done the 410.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 am Excellent.
The puppy is lovely.
Well done you.
Well done the 410.

N.
+1.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad she likes the pheasant. That says her instincts are right on the mark. Duck season is coming soon. I am sure she will be just as happy to see her first duck.

Using a .410 bore on pheasant tells me that you are a good shot. It is enough gun if you know what you are doing, but for those who are not so good it has too small of a payload and too small of a pattern. Sort of how a good shot with a rifle can take deer with a .30-30 or a .25 caliber at any reasonable distance, but a poor shot needs a 7mm Magnum or bigger to get the job done within 100 yards. Just my observations from a little bit of experience.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

Congrats on a good start to the season.
I plan to take my grandson for pheasants during his time off from school in Thanksgiving holidays.
That will be a good excuse to give one of my Parkers a bit of work.
He has a new Weatherby O/U and breaks clays well with it; he is likely to take more than birds than I, but that will be rewarding to see.
They all eat good no matter who shot them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Piller, I have a bit of an edge, I've been a competitive clay target shooter for 30+ years. Plus I really enjoy the small gauges. Yes I shoot a 12 for competition but for fun it's a 28 or 410.

CRS if your Parker needs a good workout send it here, I'll make sure it works!

I'm kinda getting on a double gun kick and I'd love to find an honestly used Parker 20 ga. Or a Beretta or any English 20 bore... Sorry, O.T. there for a minute!

As for shooting 410's, most people use too tight of a choke with a 410. The long shot column IMO works better with more open chokes. The CZ I have is I/C & M and it's perfect in my eyes. This morning I shot a bird, as Claro went to retrieve it she busted another. There I stood with my gun broken open to reload, I closed it up swung on the bird and tugged the left trigger ( didn't get the right barrel loaded)and dropped it as well- a DOUBLE! Two triggers are a good thing!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Absolutely, 410 is better with less choking IMO.

Double triggers every time here too.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 am Absolutely, 410 is better with less choking IMO.

Double triggers every time here too.

N.
Yup.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Gunny,
Since i'm in the recovery stage of a total shoulder surgery I'm wondering what I'll be able to shoot from here on out. I have an H&R in both .410 and 28 gauge. I really feel like the .410 is a little light for most things with no room for error at all. The 28 gauge, though seems completely adequate. Can you offer any insight? I'm considering a 28 gauge Remington as my around the house do everything gun or do I need to step up to a 20 gauge?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rusty, I absolutely love 28 ga. The first one I had was a Remington 11-48. I used it for everything from our early sporting clays (1986-ish) to ducks.
The 28 is greatly underestimated, you can get 1 oz loads for it so it is on par with most 20 ga loads. Also Fiocchi is making a 3" version now and the H&R you have could have the forcing cone lengthened to use 3" ammo. Do you need it? I don't think so.

The 28 has an advantage in ballistics, the bore diameter is almost the same as length of shot column, THAT improves patterns. Just like a 1oz load in a 12- better patterns. I shoot International (Olympic) Trap and we use 24 gram loads, about 13/16 oz of shot, better patterns. These targets are physically harder but they can be smoked like any other clay bird!

410 is great in its own right but it takes a bit more time to find the right load/choke to be perfect. I'd bet your H&R is choked full? That's fine for head shooting squirrels and pests or even turkeys but wing shooting it's over choked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a Rossi S/B 28 gauge full choke, but it threw beautiful patterns with 14 gram loads, I tried different loads up to 21grams but I took more game with the lighter loads. Shirley has the 28 now and she does not like the heavier loads as she says the lightweight little Rossi kicks even with the 21gram shells. :shock:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 am I had a Rossi S/B 28 gauge full choke, but it threw beautiful patterns with 14 gram loads, I tried different loads up to 21grams but I took more game with the lighter loads. Shirley has the 28 now and she does not like the heavier loads as she says the lightweight little Rossi kicks even with the 21gram shells. :shock:
That's because it uses that vile white powder nonsense.
Disgusting stuff!

N. :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 am I had a Rossi S/B 28 gauge full choke, but it threw beautiful patterns with 14 gram loads, I tried different loads up to 21grams but I took more game with the lighter loads. Shirley has the 28 now and she does not like the heavier loads as she says the lightweight little Rossi kicks even with the 21gram shells. :shock:
That's because it uses that vile white powder nonsense.
Disgusting stuff!

N. :lol:
Yup, Shirley should know better, she used to have a flintlock Kentucky... :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, I had a Franchi semi in 28 and was surprised that it seemed to kick just as hard or harder than a 20 with similar payload, but those little Franchis are extremely light and long-recoil operated.
I have a new and as-yet unfired Weatherby SA-08 gas gun in 28 that I expect to be very soft shooting. Hope to put it to use on quail in the new year. If you are considering a side-by-side or over-under in .410 or 28, the Turkish Yildiz shotguns imported and sold by Academy Sports get some very high marks for value and reliability over at shotgunworld.com.
By the way, Kent makes a very nice 7/8-ounce bismuth load for the 28. I bought a couple of boxes of No. 6 to have on hand just in case I decide I've got to hunt teal again.

Gunny -- Parker is just a doll. I am currently dogless for the first time in decades and seeing her grow up is helping me cope.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad to be of service with Parker pics! :D

I have a CZ 410 ( made in turkey too)side by side that I got from gunbroker, just a hair under $650. Case colors, 28" bbls, IC/M choked and very nice wood.
image.jpeg
My 28 is a Ruger Red Label, 28" with choke tubes, normally with Skeet/ Mod tubes in place.

I bought a pound of HEVISHOT to load in the 28 for ducks, never got out for any duck hunting but boy was it MAGIC on pheasants!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!