Please help identify this Barn Find

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
c1111w
Levergunner

Please help identify this Barn Find

Post by c1111w »

Saw this screwed to the rafters at a friend's deceased grandpa's house. Couldn't get it down, and my flash is faulty.
So I apologize for the lame photos. Should be enough clues for you though.

The lever seems to swoop into a hole in the buttstock. And the loading port isn't in a normal place (for a Whitney).
And if anyone that can identify, also knows it's current value, that would help determine how much I offer her.

Any help would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Please help identify this Barn Find

Post by gamekeeper »

That is a single shot Martini action, I can't see enough to say more.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Its a Martini. Oops, beat me to it
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
c1111w
Levergunner

Post by c1111w »

Much appreciated!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

OK, I'm far from being a Martini expert but it looks to me like the large action and not the cadet. Caliber will probably be .577/450, or .303.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577/450_ ... 80%93Henry
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It does look like the large action Martini rifle. It is probably in good enough condition to be worth buying. WELCOME TO A GREAT FORUM.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Definitely a Martini and the military ones, unless butchered, will have a good amount of historic information stamped on the receiver and butt.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As far as value, it will depend if it is a genuine British rifle, a Nepal-made rifle, a Khyber Pass, model, overall condition, calibre, etc. Too hard to determine without much better pictures and information as to any markings, stamps, etc.

Bruce Scott is correct. Correct that is unless it is a "Khyber Pass" rifle.The only way to tell for sure is to carefully examine it. As a result of the military action in Afghanistan, more of these "rifles" are coming in as "bring backs." I first read about them and saw a few -- mostly Lee-Enfields and a few Martini-Henrys -- in the early 1960's.

For those not familiar with a Khyber Pass firearm:

"A Khyber Pass Copy is a firearm manufactured by cottage gunsmiths in the Khyber Pass region between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

"The area has long had a reputation for producing unlicensed, homemade copies of firearms using whatever materials are available – more often than not, railway rails, scrap motor vehicles, and other scrap metal. The quality of such firearms varies widely, ranging from as good as a factory-produced example to dangerously poor."

Read all 'bout it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_copy

Or, could one of the rifles imported a few years ago from the Nepal-made weapons cache. Such as:
https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/ori ... -condition

As an aside, IMA has Martini-Henrys: https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/ori ... tique-guns
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

That would be one I'd be interested in studying closely before even hazarding a guess on value, much less making an offer. As mentioned, these rifles come from numerous sources and are found in conditions ranging from solid shooter and collectable down to absolute junk. A nice one would be a hoot to own, though!