Need Help Finding a Saddle Ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Need Help Finding a Saddle Ring

Post by Alan in Vermont »

OK, I turned in a couple hundred pounds of scrap brass & copper so I am "Mexican Rich" at the moment. That won't last long though as I am ordering "bits" to add to a 94 Winchester.

So far I have ordered a Pearson No-Drill Scope Mount and a Sightmark red dot sight to put on it.

This is where I begin to need help. The next step is to add a "Saddle Ring" and a modern single point sling. That's as close to tacticool stuff as I'm ever likely to go. So far I have had zero/zilch/nada luck in finding the ring. Please understand my Google-Fu ain't fer spit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I also know nothing about them. Is the staple threaded to just screw into the receiver or is it threaded to extend through the receiver with a thin jam nut inside to keep it from spinning/unscrewing? And just where is the hole located? Dimensions from the front & top of the receiver would be really appreciated. The gun this is going on is an early 70s working gun so punching a new hole isn't going to be an emotional issue.

What I'm shooting (no pun intended) is to get my favorite toy set up with sights that 68 yr old eyes can see quickly(the red dot will be mounted ahead of the receiver), can be carried comfortably with one hand around the receiver with the single point sling taking most of the weight off my shoulder and still be quick to bring into position from either a one or two hand carry.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Need Help Finding a Saddle Ring

Post by Malamute »

If you want one for the original intended purpose, which it sounds like, then Id suggest using the older type with large screw shank. the later ones added on post 64 guns had small shanks and were basically ornamental. Some have used them with slings, but I think they are pretty small, perhaps they are more lucky than good may be more to the point.

94s never used staple type sling rings (original term, "saddle ring" came about much later from collectors that didnt seem to understand what they were actually used for on military arms, which Winchester was copying).

Try this,

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_805.htm

and ignore the part about what they suggest for a post 64 gun. Once you get the ring in hand, someone should be able to give dimensions for the location of early type. I'm not sure the later ones were in quite the same place. I dont recall the size and thread pitch of the screw shank, you should be able to determine that after getting it in hand, or find the info online so you can get the correct drill and tap sizes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Malamute thank you for the information. Shortly after I posted my wife, who has awesome Google-Fu, found Homesteadparts.

Sadly the SR assembly is out of stock. As it happens they have the two pieces of it in stock and cheaper than the assembly. The downside is that they say the thread on the post is 1/4-30. They list the correct tap for it but it is also out of stock and something like $23.00 IIRC. I found one other place that has the tap,,, for $28.00,,, YIKES.

Being that bad of an oddball it's not real likely to find a 'smith who has one it looks like I will be buying the tap as well.

Do you know if the hole for the post is all the way through the receiver side or a blind hole? Blind hole will require TWO taps, a taper and a bottom.

Why are my ideas so darn pricey to implement!!!!

Still need the location for the hole,, sure hope someone can help with that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can't get photosuckit to cooperate, but I made three 'night scout' leverguns like you are saying, not exactly 'tactical', but practical (for farm use) with a red-dot and so on (even a quick-detach light). On the Marlin 1894, I mounted a short section of picatinny rail on top of the receiver using the scope mount holes, (at first I used an XS base rail, shown in the photo) That supported a small Burris FastFire-2 sight, and also a little LaserMax pistol sight set nicely right in front of it on the same rail. There was a little space behind the two types of sight, so I used a Mag-Pul single point sling attachment that goes on a 'rail' for a single point sling attachment that works and balances really well.

Sorry no photo of the Marlin with the MagPul on it, but you can see the general setup. I was still using a conventional sling at this point.
NightScout44Mag.jpg
Here's what is on the shorter rail (that I replaced the XS base with) sitting just behind the FastFire-2 now, with the loop on the left side of the receiver:
Screenshot_2017-11-08-22-58-56-1.png
Here's a couple of Rossis, with one that actually had a saddle ring when I bought it.
20171018_190605-1.jpg
20170709_190702-2.jpg
They are all practical little guns for investigating squawks, growls, yelps, or bumps in the night. Without both laser and holosight, they aren't as effective in targeting a raccoon scurrying through the weeds around the chicken pen, and without the light, there's no point in having the gun if it is dark. I shot a 2" 50-yard group in pitch-black with the 357 Mag one, and any of them can successfully deal with a possum or feral feline out to 75 yards reasonably well.

Far more practical (and safe) than totin' out my AR-15 or trying to do the same thing with a shotgun. For daytime use the sights are perfect as well, and I can just slip off the light of I want to. The light that fits all of them interchangeably is a Coast 'LED-lenser' and is 280 lumens or so. Very well made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmm...a single point sling for a levergun.....that's thinking......well, at least it is for me.

Check brownells for the tap....I'm the kind of guy that would just rethread the stud for a 1/4 x 28 ...which is common and available at any hardware store and cut the receiver for the same. In fact, you could just tap the receiver for the 1/4 x 28 and screw in the stud. It's probably only about 4 threads deep and that little extra "oomph" will keep it tight.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The hole goes all the way through.

Trying to remember if any of the old Harley stuff had any 1/4-30 threads. I had some taps for cleaning out holes after bead blasting cases. Harley used some oddball threads also. If I have one, and can find it, I'll loan it to you. EDIT: Just recalled the oddball Harley 1/4 inch thread was 1/4-24.

I will try to map out the hole for you. If you have other stuff mounted on the receiver, you may need to adjust the hole location a bit though. On the older ones that came with the sling ring, they were often removed when putting Lyman 56s on them, they interfered with each other.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 pm I can't get photosuckit to cooperate, but I made three 'night scout' leverguns like you are saying, not exactly 'tactical', but practical (for farm use) with a red-dot and so on (even a quick-detach light).
And there I thought i had my original idea for 2017.

:idea: Hmmm, there may be a way I can find to mount a light there as well.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I hd a Ruger ring base machined down and silver soldered to the magazine tube on the left side for a light. I used a surefire 6P in a Ruger ring to mount it. I wanted as small of a base as I could get so it wasnt ugly and catching on stuff when I didnt have the light on it.

Not sure if you understood this, but the "single point sling" is actually what the so-called saddle ring was used for on cavalry guns in the mid 1800s, from the 1850s at least, and I believe earlier, in percussion days. A wide leather strap with large snap clip was worn over the shoulder and kept the gun attached to the trooper if they came off their horse, and they couldnt lose it when riding. It was carried in a small socket type thing attached to the saddle, to the right rear of the saddle, always with the sling attached.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cavalry ... 79&dpr=1.1