Another "Took a Classic Out Hunting"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Another "Took a Classic Out Hunting"

Post by Old No7 »

No game to report, but I like the way this .250-3000 99A carries -- and it shoots great at the range too!

It's not an "old" classic (70's vintage *), but has the classic design pedigree.

.... * Then again, I'm 60s vintage and feel old at times!

My only complaint is the stock is a little bit slippery...

Tight groups!

Old No7

Savage 99A 250 05 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Another "Took a Classic Out Hunting"

Post by EdinCT »

I love that model of the 99! I know two folks who used them, sadly one of the rifles was lost to a house fire and the other was used by a warden taken from the confiscation pile and had to be returned to the state upon their retirement.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Gorgeous rifle and in a caliber I really like. Owned one very similar (99F) for many years. If I didn't have a BLR I'd be lookin' to trade for another 250/3000. Or maybe a 99 in 308 or 243.
You could always buy yourself some checkering tools, I'll give you an old broken stock to practice on and you can fix that slippery part.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You can take a wood rasp to the stock where it's slippery....should fix it right up.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm You can take a wood rasp to the stock where it's slippery....should fix it right up.
Um, yeah, that could work........ :o

Actually, I was toying with the idea of adding deer tracks to it --like I did on this one:

Deer Tracks 07 - Final.jpg

As a late model Savage "A", it certainly doesn't have the true collectability of the older pre-war 99s -- but it is a .250-3000 in great shape, which gives it some value -- so I'll have to weigh out (and price) the options, like getting it checkered.

Or maybe I'll add deer tracks at the grip and coyote tracks up front???

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

What's your load if you don't mind me asking? That should have the faster twist rate, right?

Mainehunter
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Mainehunter wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 pm What's your load if you don't mind me asking? That should have the faster twist rate, right?

Mainehunter
Yes, it does have the faster twist rate. I haven't started to reload for this one yet, as I stumbled upon a small gun shop that had 12 boxes of Rem factory ammo (100 gr SP) on the shelf, and a couple were dusty (his loyal customer had passed away it seems). So I made him an offer he couldn't refuse (and got one heck of a "per box" price) and bought 'em all.

Old No7
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is a great rifle #7.

I can never figure out why the 1/4" bores never took off in Britain, they would be perfect for here.
Instead everyone loves the 243w , fools!!

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!