Youth gun choice for hogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Youth gun choice for hogs

Post by RustyJr »

I have been hunting for a while and shooting all my life, but my girlfriend's daughter who is 10 years old is interested in trying to shoot a hog later this year when they go to hunting camp with me. I have settled on a Handi rifle for the platform. Choices are 223 and 44 mag. My idea with the 223 is to load it with a 62 or 60 grain load. Other idea for the 44 is to go with a 240-270 grain load at about 1100 FPS. She has shot my 10-22 and does pretty good standing with the 10-22. She is a new shooter but can bust clays out to 25 yards pretty regular using my 10-22 and iron sights. My concerns with the 44 are recoil. She would be shooting from a rested position in a box blind or stand. I would most likely equip either one (depending on which is decided on) with a 1.5X-4X Leupold shotgun scope. My thoughts are that the 44 would leave a better blood trail and have better penetration over the 223 but would have more recoil but less muzzle blast. All shots would be within 50 yards, preferably less. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Youth gun choice for hogs

Post by Tanqueray »

That 44mag load would replicate the factory 44-40 loads I’m currently using, and recoil is almost non existent, at 223 levels but quieter.
More meplat, more better.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Let her shoot both 223 and 44. Let her make the decision. A situation like this gives you the opportunity to educate her about energy, terminal performance and how to select the right tool for the job.
It's obvious to me that this young lady has a good head on her shoulders and I'm sure she can handle noise and recoil of either.
Best bet is to get her trying out each and every gun she can.

I know a woman that weighed 105# when 9 months pregnant, she could out shoot her 6'4" 245 # husband with big caliber handguns.

I hope she gets a hog or 2!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

44 recoil is not pleasant with a solid load. I would try and get her to have a shot with one before you buy it, because if it beats her up she will not be able to shoot straight with it.
223 recoil is easy, but even with the 60 grain bullet, there won't be much spare energy, and the risk of wounding an animal with a less than perfect shot is high.
Both my niece and my granddaughter can shoot my 357 with a full house silhouette load with no trouble, that's a 180 grainer at 1700 fps, and inside 100 yds that should be enough.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Headshot with the.223, she will do fine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Consider a HandiRifle in 357 Mag or Max.....??
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Both should be fine. It might be just picking a smaller hog with the right shot angle. With the 223 look at the hog specific loads to get the penetration needed.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Either a .223 or a .44Mag will kill a hog.

Shot placement will be critical using the .223. The question with the .44Mag is, as you said, whether the young lady can tolerate the recoil without developing a flinch. That said, .44Mag is an excellent short range hog killer.

The best advice is to let her make the choice. Once she picks her preferred tool, teach her to use it effectively, and about the hog's vital areas.

If she selects the .223, stick to head and neck shots.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would go with the 44. I don't think recoil will be an issue if she wants to shoot. She can use 44 Specials or CAS level loads to get acclimated. Then for hunting, any decent hunting bullet beyond standard Special velocity will do the job and leave a big hole.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Practice with the .44 specials, and for the hunt, a 300 grain at moderate fps should be sufficient. She'll never remember the kick when she's shooting at her game.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Let her try both and decide if that is a possibility.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost