44 mag 200 gr JHP medium loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

44 mag 200 gr JHP medium loads

Post by Malamute »

There was a discussion here some time back where the topic of medium loads was covered, and there was some chronograph and pressure info shared. I wasnt able to find it in several searches. Does anyone have velocity info for 44 cal 200 gr Hornady XTP JHP bullet with 10 grs Unique in magnum cases in a 20" barrel (Browning 92), and perhaps in a 4 or 6 inch barrel also?

Thanks!
Last edited by Malamute on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 44 mag 200 gr JHP medium loads

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't but you might check AmmoGuide.com - I use it for 90% of my reloading data now.

Excellent search/sort features vs the other sites, and it has "factory" data plus "user" data for the best (and safest) of both worlds. Well worth the trivial yearly cost.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I use 240gr XTPs, but I like 22gr of IMR4227 in my Browning 92, 16" 94, and 6" S&W 629.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks, but I'm looking for info on that specific load I mentioned in my first post, not looking for other loads.

I think Earl, and one or two others had chronograph info on this load, or 9 grs Unique or very close to that, and mentioned how they worked on deer at the reduced velocity.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I have not tried this load - don't currently have a .44 Mag levergun. But QuickLoad Ballistic Software has given creditable results with .44 Mag loads when checked against my Chrony ballistic chronometer. And it has been close or right on with all of my Hornady loads, so far, once I entered a few corrections on bullet length.

Here is what QuickLoad says about your load:
If you are having trouble downloading the photo, here is the vital info:
Hornady XTP 200gr, 20.0 inch barrel, Unique 10.0grs, Fills 62.3% of case and burns 100% in barrel; est. 22,680 Max psi (of 36,000 psi SAAMI); 1501 fps, 1000 ft. lbs. ME
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Using that same application, I see:
4" barrel: 22,681 Max psi, 99.51% burn, 1066fps, 504 ft. lbs
6: barrel: 22,681 Max psi, 100% burn, 1211fps, 651 ft. lbs

As for previous threads mentioning Unique with 200 gr. XTP loads - do either of these 2 links help?

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 5&p=729394
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 5&p=380637
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

JohndeFresno wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 am Using that same application, I see:
4" barrel: 22,681 Max psi, 99.51% burn, 1066fps, 504 ft. lbs
6: barrel: 22,681 Max psi, 100% burn, 1211fps, 651 ft. lbs

As for previous threads mentioning Unique with 200 gr. XTP loads - do either of these 2 links help?

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 5&p=729394
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 5&p=380637
Thanks for the printout of the quickload!

And thanks for the links! The first link was one I recalled, but wasnt the exact one that somebody gave me quickload and chronograph info on specific loads close to what I was wanting.

I think it was Earl that offered up info (I distracted people with a side discussion in someone elses thread), and I believe he commented that actual chronograph results were often off a bit from what quickload showed with Unique powder, but I dont recall which way they were off. Not sure why my searches failed, I should try again. I tried the in-house and google site specific searches.

The reason I wanted info on that specific load was I already loaded some. I couldnt find the info, and seemed to recall I wanted slightly more go than the 9 gr loads I shoot with 200 and 250 gr cast bullets, but just couldnt recall. I just made a decision and loaded some. I wanted to figure it out so I can either shoot these up and try another, or just load more of the same. If they are running 1500 fps in the carbine, it may be a little more than I want, but how they shoot in the pistol is more important, the blast will be more noticeable in it.

Thanks for all the comments so far gentlemen.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

You are welcome.

QL is usually just a tad high when checked against the chronograph, at least on my 44 Mag and 45 Colt loads. I attributed that to cylinder gas escaping from the revolver, which may not be compensated for in theoretical tables. That is, perhaps the rifle and semi-auto predictions are more accurate because the bullet stays fully enclosed as it leaves the casing.

I have not obsessed much over it, since I just want to know if a load is safe first hand, and then if it hits the ballpark velocity of what is needed, and then (when necessary) it can be chronographed. And of course I still check the data against similar published load data from the powder companies and bullet manufacturers.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Im not overly concerned about any minor differences, I just recall it being noted in I believe Earls comments.

Unfortunately, I havent been able to find any formally published info on the 9 or 10 grs Unique loads with any bullets, the published data Ive been able to find seems to skip around that level, most starting level loads in 44 mag being higher. Some 44-40 loads showed a bit more Unique, but the larger case capacity seems to moderate the velocity level somewhat, so isnt directly translatable to the 44 mag case and loads. The info you provided is very useful. Thanks again.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Malamute,
Hornady data for the 200 XTP tops out at 7 grains for the 44 Special and then starts at 11.4 grains in the Magnum cartridge.

Too hot for the Special, maybe too light for Magnum jacketed round.
abar20manfan
Levergunner

Post by abar20manfan »

I’ve been using the 200 gr XTP over 10.0 grs of Unique for several years in my Marlin 1894 and short Ruger SBH’s. Very pleasant to shoot and accuracy is great. I shot these groups last month at 50 yds with my Marlin. The orange dots are 2”.
96E464F8-B31A-430A-A806-376B7631D567.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

But everyone knows “lever actions aren’t very accurate…” :roll: :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dunno about accurate Doc but I can tell you my Ruger carbine is so accurate that I did a scope swap once and right out of the box the scope/ gun were dead nuts on at 50. I never even unscrewed the scope caps after 3 shots were touching! Probably never happen again !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!