Slinging my Win M-71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Slinging my Win M-71

Post by guido4198 »

I'm the proud owner of a standard grade Winchester M-71, manufactured 1952. :P
I've had this rifle for a while, and enjoyed a lot of range time with it shooting both cast and jacketed bullets. I've only taken it into the woods once, didn't get a shot.
Oh well.
I'm going to be hunting more with this one in the current season, and would like to have a sling on it.
I would appreciate some suggestions from anyone who has put a sling on one of these. If I can find a barrel band that fits for the front swivel I'd probably go with that. I've read cautions against securing a forward band to the magazine tube...but don't know much more than that.
The buttstock has a hole in it where someone had secured a rear swivel, at some point long ago...but nothing up front.
Thanks.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Slinging my Win M-71

Post by marlinman93 »

If you can locate mounts and sling swivels as used on the Model 71 originally it would retain the gun's value, and even increase it! But they're for a larger 1.25" width sling, and not cheap or easy to find. But that's the route I'd go if I owned a 71 I wanted a sling on. The same mounts and sling swivels were used on both the 71 and early Model 70 also. Also on the old Model 36 Marlin deluxe rifles.
The front swivel base should be on the forearm cap.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

It had better increase the value! Have you priced original M71 sling swivels lately?
But if I was going to sling an original 71 I would probably spring for original sling mounts and swivels, too.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

vancelw wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:28 pm It had better increase the value! Have you priced original M71 sling swivels lately?
But if I was going to sling an original 71 I would probably spring for original sling mounts and swivels, too.
Yep. As I said in my post, they aren't cheap, but they would make it correct. The wrong sling swivels will cost less, but will also devalue the gun, so why make the gun worth less?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:56 am
vancelw wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:28 pm It had better increase the value! Have you priced original M71 sling swivels lately?
Yep. As I said in my post, they aren't cheap, but they would make it correct. The wrong sling swivels will cost less, but will also devalue the gun, so why make the gun worth less?
Nobody was disagreeing with you.
Don't be so sensitive

But, have you priced original sling swivels, lately?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For over 40 years I have refused to hunt with any gun but a prime Winchester .....with a sling.....and I will not drill no holes.

I have used the magazine band and a buttstock thingy and with rifles without a tube mag, I use a barrel band. Snug up the screw...not tight.....apply a drop of lock thread......you won't hurt the metal and even if a little mark comes up, just cold blue over it. I've never had one come loose while hunting.

Brownells has ever magazine and barrel band imaginable. (I CANT believe I took these pictures 10 years ago....seemed like last week)

1886 45-70

1895 in 35 Winchester

Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I once slung a shotgun about 15 feet ... on accident. I would treat that nice old 71 much better than that. :D :) :lol:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack I love that 1886, CAN I HAVE IT?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm Jack I love that 1886, CAN I HAVE IT?
NO!!!!!! Wait a minute, if you can get to my house in 20 minutes, I'll give it to you. If your late you will have to milk the bull out back.---- :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Thanks Sixgun. That band on your magazine tube looks great, and I'm especially pleased to hear you haven't had any issues with having it there.
My problem with the original Winchester endcap set-up, besides being hard to find and grossly over-priced when you do...is that it's not correct for a Standard grade rifle so after finally finding one and scraping up the cash to buy it, I'm no better off "originality-wise" then if I slapped an "Uncle Mike's" thingy on her.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Guide,
Excellent thinking! Any seasoned Winchester guy knows the standard 71 did not have that deluxe end cap on it.....so you would be only impressing the uninitiated and not a future knowledgeable purchaser.

Your not looking to impress out in the woods...only when reselling. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Guido,
I have used the front mag tube band (like Sixgun has) and a screwed in sling eye at the butt for slings on all my lever actions - '92's, 94's and '73 for all my hunting career, and all my hunting is backpacking, often long distances through thick bush and over mountain passes, river crossings, combined with carrying carcasses out etc, so rough work, and never had any issues. This is with full magazine tubes as well, your little button mag bit would be even stiffer I reckon. That is the way to go, because I have done it like this for years.
I am thinking of getting a new Pedersoli version of the 71, and that is exactly what I will with it before taking it hunting.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

SURE Jack, wait until I am halfway across the state to make me an offer that involves two of my favorite things high speed Mustangs at full song ,and old leverguns.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:41 am Guide,
Excellent thinking! Any seasoned Winchester guy knows the standard 71 did not have that deluxe end cap on it.....so you would be only impressing the uninitiated and not a future knowledgeable purchaser.

Your not looking to impress out in the woods...only when reselling. :D ---6
Funny thing....I went to the Tulsa gun show yesterday. I walked through all 11 acres and made it to the last table on the last row before somebody got my money.

I picked up a circa 1936 Winchester Model 71. Standard stock and forearm but it had the bolt peep and deluxe fore end cap. The bolt peep is going to go on my deluxe that was sold without a bolt peep, because it has a rear sight. I guess back then you could order them however you wanted them
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Congratulations.
Always good to hear of a classic ending up in appreciative hands.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since the buttstock already has a hole drilled in the buttstock, if you installed the original Winchester Super Grade QD sling loop base there, the wood would need to be inletted for it (it's secured via 2 screws).

Besides the cost, it would be a lot easier to just install a QD stud in the existing hole and add a magazine tube QD stud (which gives N.P. when properly installed).

Or, alternately, you can use a "no-drill" sling, like the leather one shown above.

I use a Cordua Nylon sling, which I move between all my swivel-less guns as needed.

Image Image Image

450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

I carry my sling in a hunting coat pocket. The 1936 Model 71 does not mind. You need it when you have to move big game or crossing a
swollen creek. Using a sling too often -rather than having your rifle ready-will sooner or later cost a buck or bull.
It can and will happen. This looks like a good appreciative site for my 86s and Model 71s.