Happy Reformation Day!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Happy Reformation Day!

Post by wecsoger »

500 years ago, it is alleged that Martin Luther nailed his ninety five theses to the door of a local church.

Thereafter, some events did not turn out so well.

I post not to start a religious conversation, but to point out how much some have enjoyed the day, to the point there are t-shirts, reformation day parties and other activities.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Happy Reformation Day!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As a Roman Catholic, I am not offended by this in the least! The Catholic church was extremely corrupt in those days, and Martin Luther probably saved Christianity. Without his influence one could easily argue that the United States would not exist (think early settlers and the learned men our Founding Fathers chose as inspiration for the country and constitution they built).

I am happy to see that Christianity, both Catholics and Protestants, are coming together and choosing to focus on what we hold in common - and realize that many in the world would like to see all of us wiped off the face of the planet (so we need to unite in a brotherhood of Christ for our own defense).

It is sad to see the continent that Martin Luther came from, and where the reformation started, has largely become secularized - or worse, over run with islamists.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

or worse, over run with islamists.
As a writer I follow, Michael Yon, puts it, some fish do not belong in the same aquarium.

Good comments and greatly appreciated. Peace to you.

Another amazing bit of trivia I just found, Martin Luther may be responsible for how all our beer is made these days

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... r-beer-too

On this day 500 years ago, an obscure Saxon monk launched a protest movement against the Catholic Church that would transform Europe. Martin Luther's Protestant Reformation changed not just the way Europeans lived, fought, worshipped, worked and created art but also how they ate and drank. For among the things it impacted was a drink beloved throughout the world and especially in Luther's native Germany: beer.

The change in beer production was wrought by the pale green conical flower of a wildly prolific plant — hops.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Believe it or not, my local radio station had a very good Q&A/Interview this morning. Nothing that would be anywhere near acceptable within a 100mi radio radius of a City, but pretty cool nonetheless. I'm trying to find a recording/media link...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Ysabel Kid sums it up well. No matter which Christian denomination one belongs to, one important to keep in mind is: a house united beats a house divided. And based on some recent events-both here and abroad-there is no better time to remain united.

Martin Luther had some really good quotes. There are more but he following come to mind.
1) If you sin, sin boldly.
2) Question he asked someone after a meal: Why don't you burp and fanny burp? Didn't the food taste good?
3) He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well doesn't sin. He who doesn't sin goes to heaven.

My wife and I got married in the church in Wittenberg, Germany in the year 2004 where Luther preached over 2000 times according to the pastor who married us there. This church is called the "Stadtkirche". Down the street is where Luther nailed his thesis to the door of the other church which is called the "Schlosskirche". Wittenberg is a nice town in the former East Germany about 75-100 km from Berlin and I recommend visiting it if you ever make it to that part of the world.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

wecsoger wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:04 am
or worse, over run with islamists.
As a writer I follow, Michael Yon, puts it, some fish do not belong in the same aquarium.

Good comments and greatly appreciated. Peace to you.

Another amazing bit of trivia I just found, Martin Luther may be responsible for how all our beer is made these days

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... r-beer-too

On this day 500 years ago, an obscure Saxon monk launched a protest movement against the Catholic Church that would transform Europe. Martin Luther's Protestant Reformation changed not just the way Europeans lived, fought, worshipped, worked and created art but also how they ate and drank. For among the things it impacted was a drink beloved throughout the world and especially in Luther's native Germany: beer.

The change in beer production was wrought by the pale green conical flower of a wildly prolific plant — hops.
"1 (just not a writer)
It is not the critic who counts
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great thread, and thanks to all who have posted in it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sometimes it takes a brave man to set things right.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I always thought of Christianity like a family. The brothers may fight like cats and dogs with one another, but woe be it to anyone from the outside that attacks it, because they will unite in a split second and respond as one.

At least that was how it worked in my family. I used to fight with my youngest brother all the time, and we barely got along. One day some kid my age was picking on him on the school bus. I beat the snot out of him, got tossed off the school bus for a week, and suspended from school for a day.

My Dad's response? "Beat him worse next time." We went out to lunch that day and a movie. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What's this? Religion on the general discussion page? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's General 'cause nobody is arguing... :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kaschi wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:50 pm...Wittenberg is a nice town in the former East Germany about 75-100 km from Berlin and I recommend visiting it if you ever make it to that part of the world.
One of the happier results of German Reunification.

When I lived in FRG I wasn't allowed anywhere near the East German border. Couldn't even go to the Pink Floyd concert in Berlin.

Would have loved to have visited Wittenberg on Unka's plane fare...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a serious and glorious bit of history. Luther's struggle involved not having any peace, inner peace, in spite of his knowledge and his efforts to earn it.

one day he rediscovered a Bible verse and Bang! there it suddely was! The revelation that fired up Luther's soul:

It's All of Christ, and
It's Only Christ

it's not about Luther . . .

That's the fire of the reformation

Christ stated that no one, NO ONE comes to the Father except via Christ.

This truth was known to ALL the believers of the first couple of centuries. It is what all the martyrs died for.

Paul, ex Saul, determined to only preach the cross of Christ, "less the Gospel be made of none effect". to wit:

Christ was cruicified according to the scriptures.
[according to the Old Testament prophetic writings]
And He was buried.
And He rose from the dead the third day, according to the scriptures.
[according to the Old Testament prophetic writings]
One Corinthians Chapter One, Chapter Fifteen

Trusting This Christ and His sacrifice allows Father to impute Christ's righteousness to us. Miracle of miracles.

So YES to the celebration, AND let's look forward to the next items on the list of prophecy yet to be fulfilled, guaranteed by the two thousand plus already fulfilled.

I know that there are many believers here and I am profoundly grateful for that, and I cherish the fact.

I am posting for the benefit of those not yet persuaded, or not yet contemplating their eternal future.