Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

For anyone interested, I just got an e mail from Mossberg. They are bringing out the Shockwave in 20 ga. I sent them an e mail a few month's ago asking for it and here it is! Not really because of me, they sent a return saying that they were getting lot's of the same request and were considering it. God Bless.⛪
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I couldn't wait, so I made my own 20, several months ago. :mrgreen:

Under $200, all in, for the donor 20ga M-500 + the Shockwave Raptor grip + the Hogue rubber FE - my labor was free....... :roll:

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

They're gonna be pink.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm .

Under $200, all in, for the donor 20ga M-500 + the Shockwave Raptor grip + the Hogue rubber FE - my labor was free....... :roll:

Only difference would be in barrel length. The Shockwave has a 14-inch barrel. Mount a shoulder stock to it and it becomes an illegal weapon (if you don't have a tax stamp). You cannot take an existing legal shotgun (18" barrel length), cut it down and put on the raptor grip without violating the 1934 NFA. You can mount the raptor hand grip though to a legal barrel (I've had one for years).

I think Remington just announced their 870 version would be available in 20 gauge. I'm sure that tipped the scales for Mossberg!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:24 pm
Pete44ru wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm .

You cannot take an existing legal shotgun (18" barrel length), cut it down and put on the raptor grip without violating the 1934 NFA.

I cut the barrel down to 18" to stay legal - with the Raptor grip, the OAL of my Whippet is over the 26" Federal minimum (the table shown has 6" square tiles, for reference).

It's not the barrel shortening to under 18" (the Shockwave has a 14" bbl) that makes converting an existing legal shotgun a violation of the 1934 NFA, it's the violation of the rule that ONLY shotguns originally issued as PGO's (Pistol Grip Only) may have a barrel less than 18", provided (of course) that the minimum 26" OAL rule/standard is met.

Ergo.........

Anyone with a PGO shotgun can add a Raptor grip, then measure forward to a point on the barrel that's at least 26" from the rear of the grip to determine the minimum barrel length they can cut back to, on a given (different) length action.

Anyone with a non-PGO shotgun can add a Raptor grip, but then must cut the barrel to a length of at least 18" to meet BATF standards for legality - depending upon the length of the action used - to meet the 26" minimum OAL requirement (NP with most pump/autoloading repeaters)