no lube, soap and water cleanup?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

no lube, soap and water cleanup?

Post by rossim92 »

son has two ar's and I want one for my collection :o his are andersons and swears by them. their website claims no lube and water and soap cleanup http://ireviewgear.com/cool-gear/anders ... 85-coated/. what say ye?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: no lube, soap and water cleanup?

Post by AJMD429 »

They're probably dangerous, and for his safety you should take both of 'em off his hands. Send one to me for testing.

:mrgreen:

Other than their own claims, I don't know about their coating technology; maybe someone else here does.

I rarely clean and lube my AR's now, but my round-count per month from them would lately average in the single digits. :( :oops: When my kids and I were all shooting them, we would go through a thousand or more rounds in a weekend (ahh....the Good Old Days... :lol: ). Even then maybe a squirt of lube every 1,000 rounds and field-stripping mostly only happened when trying some new parts or combination.

Anyhow, I'll watch this thread for responses as I am curious too; lots of new metal finishes out there now.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's all I use after shooting BP... I go lightly on the soap, but use the lube "after", not before... as soap & water will wash the lube off! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I dont know about that particular finish but there are a lot of new finishes these days that really cut down on the need for lube. That said I dont know if I'd run much any mechanical device without lubrication.

As far as soap and water it's not an unusual method for cleaning guns. As mentioned above lots of BP shooters use it and when I was in the Marines it was an approved method for cleaning our machine guns.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive seen the "no lube" Anderson thing mentioned on M4C forum when I was looking up AR stuff, the general consensus was that it was a rather humorous claim. They make decent quality lowers and some other parts, but the "no lube" thing doesnt work when one actually shoots much, the makers claims notwithstanding. ARs run best when run wet. Pretty much end of story as far as most that use them hard.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Due to direct impingement of the AR system, the insides of an AR receiver are a PITA to clean, especially the bolt carrier and its insides......lots of carbon deposits. Some companies are using a special coating on their bolt carriers which makes cleaning a lot easier....but soap and water?....naaaa.......I use a tooth brush, special tools for scraping carbon, 2+2 carb. cleaner and rem-oil.

That reminds me of people who complain about using Bullseye powder because it's dirty....ya still gotta clean em.---6
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i got my son a bottle of militec 1 lube for his ars. The more u use it the more it impregnates the metal/ So far, so good no jams on his anderson m4 or his armalite vietnam style ar 15. They make this stuff twenty miles from where i live http://www.militec-1.com/militec-lubricant.html
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No idea how the no lube coating works on the Anderson AR's, but they have a great warranty, so no reason to worry. Anderson has been building AR15 lowers and other parts for numerous makers long before they ever offered complete guns themselves. They have a good reputation for quality AR15 lowers and rifles. I investigated them pretty thoroughly prior to purchasing one recently.
I didn't purchase an Anderson with the no lube coating, as the prices were much higher than the Optics Ready model that is on sale at $400 occasionally. But I did get the AM15 Optics Ready, and it's a great gun for $399. If your son wants more than $400 for his, I'd probably pass and buy the O. R. model for $400, unless you just want to help him out by buying his, or it has extra features on it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dunno about modern whatsit non whatsit cleaning, but back in the day we used to use high pressure steam to clean our M16A1s...

Absolutely spotless... but you better lube it or it will flash rust to inoperability.

And to think, 30+ years after I went through Basic, while grunts are still worrying about gas tubes, I'm cleaning <1mm lumens in surgical instruments...

Sigh...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!