Driver's License to buy ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Driver's License to buy ammo?

Post by stretch »

Good Morning!

What's this new deal in Maine where WalMart needs a driver's license
in order to sell ammo?

I don't usually shop at WalMart, but I have some friends who do, and
they've had to show ID to buy ammunition lately. And it ain't that they
look 18 - lotsa grey hair!

-Stretch
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Driver's License to buy ammo?

Post by rgates »

WM is doing that in Louisiana, too. Academy Sports has an even better one: Proof of age required to purchase BB's, Hoppe's #9, and Magpul AR-15 magazines. That is my list so far. Anybody know when all this nonsense started? Why?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

More Lawyer/Insurance/Paranoia "pelosi".
When I was a shirt-tail lad, I bought ammo all the time. You know...White Privilege :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, WallyWorld has long had it's head up where the sun doesn't shine, when it comes to guns & ammo.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

It aint just ammo. Here in Yuma, the city requires you to get carded if buying spray paint. I'm 77 and got carded a couple of years ago. Clerk was about my age and we both had a good laugh over it.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

When I make private sales of guns and gun-related items I always ask for ID. Guess that puts me in with Walmart.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just 1 more reason I refuse to step foot into Walmart!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

In Massachusetts you need to take a course that lasts at least 4 hours.....Apply to your local Chief of Police for an FID or LTC that can take months and cost $100.....Get photographed and finger printed......FBI background check.....wait more weeks.....finally receive the "license"............Then you can buy ammo....But no mail order. Only in person......
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Central MO Walmarts have been doing this for about a year. I asked a counter-clod about it then and was told it was because of a 'new law'. I said "BS (without the initials) I keep track of those things and there aren't any new laws regarding ammo sales." He finally admitted it was actually a new company policy.

What little ammo I don't reload, I buy elsewhere now including via the internet. I suppose if they had a great price on ammo I wanted right now, I'd comply with their policy and buy it.They have a right to do business as they see fit and I have the right to do business elsewhere. So far it's cost them a case of 7.62x39 and another one of 45 hardball. Beat their price, too.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

rbertalotto wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:41 pm In Massachusetts you need to take a course that lasts at least 4 hours.....Apply to your local Chief of Police for an FID or LTC that can take months and cost $100.....Get photographed and finger printed......FBI background check.....wait more weeks.....finally receive the "license"............Then you can buy ammo....But no mail order. Only in person......
Thank you, God, for giving me Wyoming and Arizona for my homes.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

When faced by a similar situation in Erie, PA I inquired as to why.

Answer - there are a lot of Canadians here & we have to verify US citizenship...... :o
Merle from PA
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Merle wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:09 pm When faced by a similar situation in Erie, PA I inquired as to why.

Answer - there are a lot of Canadians here & we have to verify US citizenship...... :o
well, dang ! them Canadians is likely to be real outlaws ! :P
cable
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

hfcable wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 pm
Merle wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:09 pm When faced by a similar situation in Erie, PA I inquired as to why.

well, dang ! them Canadians is likely to be real outlaws ! :P
apparently there were restrictions on their buying ammo, so while they were in the US....... :?
Merle from PA
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

History repeats itself. Back in the 70's you could not buy reloading components through the mail without an FFL.....OK, I can understand powder and primers...but brass?....solid heads? So I guess companies are trying to "protect themselves" from liability.....maybe some Walmart sold a 12 year old kid some ammo in Chicago...dunno.

As for carding, my wife and I go out to eat about 5 times a week and yes, I get carded when ordering brewski's .....at 63.------6
Model A Uzi’s
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not a lawyer but I believe it may be a regional or company thing. I tried to buy ammo in Los Angeles city. Clerk wanted ID, but 4 miles away in San Pedro city, no ID required. I understand companies can set their own requirements for sales as long as it is legal (asking for ID to purchase isn't illegal, as far as I know). Walmart in Torrence, So. CA would not sell firearms, but other store in the state would. But as I said I'm not an expert and I slept at home last night...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Academy in Waxahachie does not sell .22lr unless you are 21 years old, and must show proof of age. .22lr being used in a crime other than poaching is almost unheard of in my area.

About 3 or 4 years ago, SightHunter was with me in Wal Mart in Red Oak when I bought some pistol ammunition. I paid for it and SightHunter picked it up. The clerk started screaming about not letting an underage person touch it. SightHunter pulled out her license to show that she was over 21, and the clerk got on the intercom and valled for management and loss prevention. We waited for them to show up. They looked at her license and apologized to us. That clerk was reassigned.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:55 pm History repeats itself. Back in the 70's you could not buy reloading components through the mail without an FFL.....OK, I can understand powder and primers...but brass?....solid heads? So I guess companies are trying to "protect themselves" from liability.....maybe some Walmart sold a 12 year old kid some ammo in Chicago...dunno.

As for carding, my wife and I go out to eat about 5 times a week and yes, I get carded when ordering brewski's .....at 63.------6

I sometimes get asked about age, for various reasons, and reply "Do I have to BE a certain age, or ACT a certain age?" :)

Regarding walmarts carding people, OK, if it bothers you, dont go there. its a corporate policy I believe, and its off and on pushed, probably because they have to deal with the lowest common denominator level employee. If they slack off too much, like letting people they THINK are old enough, and may not be, it gets hammered into them that they HAVE to check age. I sympathize with the employees smart enough to handle simple things like that, but forced to follow policy. It goes off and on where I get ammo at walmarts, sometimes they ask, sometimes they ask for a birth date to enter into their register to allow them to make the sale.

On 22 ammo, part of the ammo age law is any ammo that fits in common handguns has to be 21 to buy. It used to be if you stated it was for a rifle theyd let it go, not sure if they are just erring on the side of caution and corporate policy. I dont care, they have ammo in stock for fair prices most of the time, so I deal with it, its not a big deal to me. Nobody thinks im not old enough though, so nobody asked for proof of the difference between 18 and 21, they just verbally ask for a birth date most of the time on any ammo. Certainly better than the bad old days in the early 80s when ammo had to be logged into a book with ID.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

It's WalMart, what else does one need to say?

If I get an attractive young lady who asks me for mine -- I always ask to see hers too!

But wait... It's WalMart -- so yeah, that hasn't happened yet............ :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH