New Parker (puppy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Parker (puppy)

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I envy you your house full of hounds. I have been thinking hunting dog for many years, but I am starting to think bird days may be behind me. I have been looking at a bunch of terriers and they just plain make me laugh out loud: Parsons/Russells, Wheatens, Irish, Welsh, little old Cairns ... I'd love to have 'em all.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill I LOVE my Labs but I agree terriers are a blast! I had a Jack Russell and everyday was a hoot! He was always ON ! He never quit hunting. Mice, chipmunks, squirrels, racoons, skunks and cats were fair game. He was fearless, even treed a bear once. I left him under that bear for hours. He was hoarse when I went and got him, also girdled the oak tree which became firewood!

A couple days ago Claro started limping so off to the vet. Found out she broke a nail.tonight she tore the broken nail off! Ouch quit it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OUCH! is right!
Many years ago I was taking horse riding lessons (that was a bust) and my trainer had two dogs, a Great Dane and a Jack Russell. I guess you know which one was boss.

:lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have a new Irish terrier. She is about 16 weeks old. Saturday night I was on the couch watching British Sitcoms and having a snack. All of a sudden a bundle of copper colored fur was in the air trying to grab my snack. She bumped my hand and face, and a temporary crown popped into several pieces. I am in the Dentist's office now waiting my turn.

Irish terriers are a learning experience for us. She is the most playful dog I have ever owned. SightHunter's chihuahua absolutely hates the new puppy. The new puppy will tease the chihuahua and run away, and the chihuahua can't catch her. It is funny to everyone except the chihuahua.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Piller, can we see a photo of your Irish terrier pup? Please?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I will have to load my photos from my cell phone to my computer. My cell doesn't crop the photos to this forum's specs.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am on the computer now. Trying to get it done.
20180420_145238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here are a couple more.
20180520_172704 (450x800).jpg
20180520_172712-1.jpg
20180420_145701.jpg
Two are from a few minutes ago, and the bottom one is from a month ago at the Vet's office when she was 9 weeks old.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

She didn't want to hold still today. She wanted to play. We named her Aoife Maeve Ruadh. An Irish name for an Irish breed. She is as big as our Rat Terrier, The Masked Marvel, and she is constantly wrestling with him. Her galloping running style is funny to watch, and she jumps and comes down with her front feet on Masked Marvel to knock him over. She is quite the fun loving puppy. We are not having her fixed, and Masked Marvel is fully functioning. PillHer wants to try cross breeding them when Aoife is about 2 years old. She is hoping for a combination of the two which will have some of the traits of each. She loves both of them, and they sleep in between us most nights. Aoife will get down and roam and play around 4 AM, and as I have to wake up about that time to hit the restroom, I put her outside for about 5 minutes. Doing that has kept us from having to clean the carpet every morning. She is teething, so nothing is safe if it is below 3 feet from the floor.

SightHunter has a Chihuahua who HATES Aoife. SightHunter's Chihuahua wants to be a lap dog, and doesn't want anything to do with the other dogs, but Aoife just doesn't care. She will tease the Chihuahua until the Chihuahua is just in a frenzy, then Aoife jumps back and the Chihuahua can't catch her. After about 5 minutes of it, the Chihuahua will run under furniture or a bed to get away. She stays there and barks for about 10 to 15 minutes while she winds down. SightHunter is usually at work or asleep when this occurs, so she is sort of puzzled as to why her dog HATES Aoife so much. PillHer thinks it is funny. She just attributes the puppy's actions to being a puppy. I try to referee a little because the Chihuahua is becoming serious about trying to hurt the puppy. Since Aoife may grow to about 40 pounds, I don't want her remembering injuries from the Chihuahua and deciding to get even when she is older and bigger. Our old Atlas Terrier is able to stand up and nip Aoife on the back of the neck to calm her down. As long as Aoife minds her manners and doesn't anger her elders, the Atlas Terrier will play with her and even nap beside her.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No need to worry about the puppy holding a grudge with the chihuahua, pups don't hold grudges! However the chihuahua might!!
Ahh, teething, that's about the only thing about a puppy that sucks! Toys, toys, toys lots and lots of toys really help preserve the furniture!
I have some friends that breed Irish terrors, boy what a hoot when 6 or 8 get riled up and start grab-butt'in. Lots of fun. Seems to me that when I was a kid the breed was much bigger than they are nowadays.
Chihuahuas always want to be a lap dog but yet most have a Nepololian complex, they THINK they are a mastiff!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You are exactly right about the Neapolitan complex. A Technician at work says that chihuahuas are just A--holes.

Aoife didn't want to hold still last night when I tried to get a picture. She is a lot of fun, and she has bonded well with us. She likes to be with someone when she collapses for a nap. Like a kid, she fights going to sleep until she suddenly drops.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Piller, beautiful pup. She'll get a little fluffier won't she? The terriers are so darned smart! Say, just how many dogs do you have at your place?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

4 inside. 3 are terriers. 1 outside, a rescue who is a friendly loving wrecking ball of a mixed breed. She is too destructive to allow inside.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have 4 in the house but all of them are Labs, lots of tails knocking stuff around here!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Claro, Winnie and Parker waiting for something to fall from the counters... ( the kitchen sharks are always ready !)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here is the most recent pic of Parker. 10 months old now.
20180702_132133-800x600.jpg
Stubborn like her Mom but very affectionate and smart.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

She is looking much like a full grown hunting dog. Look out ducks!
D. Brian Casady