New Parker (puppy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

New Parker (puppy)

Post by GunnyMack »

Hip hip hooray- I got a full nights sleep last night!
I still have 2 other pups here until they are picked up this weekend. So I'm not crate training Parker yet.
Still a little mess in the box over night but the pups are really picking up on house breaking!

Parker is showing great retrieving instinct, she will bring me a ball/toy multiple times, or until she gets sidetracked! Also showing a good nose! Very pleased so far.

Big Sister Claro and Parker
image.jpeg
I took Parker out for her first solo truck ride the other day, pooped in the crate with in a half mile. Then she found a few cookie bits at the pet store causing her to puke on the way home... At least she didn't puke in my lap!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New Parker (puppy)

Post by gamekeeper »

There will be a little more poop and puke before she is dropping game in your lap, happy times ahead.... :D
I just picked up a new blank firer for dog training, lent one out never got it back and my other one is antique..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sounds like your having fun and enjoy it which is more than I could say for myself, cool beans. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm still waiting for the breeder to pick up his pup, his son just had knee surgery so I'm puppy sitting. Also have the only boy in the litter here, his person has been flat on his back in bed with bronchitis.
I'm doing my best as far as house breaking...seems like Parker is really getting it! I ring the bell and they run to go outside, only Parker takes it seriously, I keep telling the other two it's not play time but potty time, they still pee & poop in the house more than out. Parker grabs a toy as soon as she is done going potty and prances to me with her head & tail high- So proud of herself! Good girl!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a little sweetie. Can't wait until I am in a position to get a pup -- hopefully in the new year. I hate being dogless. It just "ain't right."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here is the best pic I have gotten so far.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Awww, she is ADORABLE.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So does this qualify as segregation?
image.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sleep is good! :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 pm So does this qualify as segregation?image.jpg
That's a clear demonstration of yellow privilege... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost makes me want to go out and get another dog. Almost. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We still have 2 terriers and 1 miniature Chihuahua. I want another big dog, but PillHer is not ready yet. The 3 little ones are inside dogs, and PillHer just adores the Rat Terrier puppy. He is overflowing with energy and mischief. With his jumping and leaping ability, I keep trying to get PillHer to get him into agility training. Those contests look fun, and he already plays the way that most of the courses are set up. The other two dogs are a little older and just can't keep up with his puppy enthusiasm for life.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You're making it tough for me to be dogless, even if temporarily.

8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I forgot to put my earplugs in last night, they woke me about 0430. Of course the big dogs were up as well so I had to get out of bed and let them out. Good news!- no poop in the box!!

Today I deliver a pup to the breeder, I'm not real happy about one of my pups becoming a brood b*tch but those were the terms. I really wanted to get the Fox Red color into my line( Rex the stud)
image.jpeg
Anyway by about 0500 this morning Parker, Black Cloud THUNDER ( the boy pup){ he leaves tomorrow} and "Pinky' were tear- a$&ing around the kitchen like a bunch of sugared up kids. Barking biting jumping & pouncing- I was laughing the whole time! Such fun!

Bill, my condolences for being dog poor! I'm not sure I could be without at least 1 K9 getting under foot!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok, Parker survived her first night in a crate. Although I'm NOT used to being awake until midnight! Now I have a better idea of what time she needs to poop, MIDNIGHT! Thankfully no accident in the crate.

Boy oh boy the noises that come from a puppy in a crate, I bet all the coyotes in my area were listening to her! Whining to howling to crying to a pack of beagles chasing a rabbit all came from my little 15 lb Labrador!

Oh, have I mentioned she likes food? Very typical lab appetite, tail wags the whole time her face is in her dish.

Fetch is getting better too, last night she made 10 or 12 retrieves in a row before she lost focus!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now I guess I need a bigger couch!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, my plan last night came back to bite me in the butt!
Parker has been crashing about 8 pm so at 9 I took her out, of course it rained a good 3&1/2" yesterday so her potty training was interrupted. So I decided that I would put her on the bed with me with the hope she would wake me if & when she had to potty....WRONG! She did however wake me about 1:30 AFTER she pooped twice and peed on Claro's bed...

Guess I have to be more insistent that she stays in her crate!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Patience, Patience, Patience :mrgreen:

My current dogs were the worst ever to train. Now they explode before they go in the house. Of course it took several packing their noses with the stuff to get the point across.
It already sounds like yours are way ahead of the curve that my breed was on.

It is amazing how hard it is to get a small dogs nose into something they don't want it in .

John
Last edited by Bronco on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mom & Parker sharing some quality time.
image.jpeg
Just got back from the vet, had her 2nd shot, 17.5 lbs and a clean bill of health.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yeah, I also learned the hard way to be staunch about the crate until things were really firmed up on going outside. Not any worse than cleaning up diaper mess.

:lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had a much better night!
We accomplished a poop outside before bed at 9 pm, let her have a piece of elk rawhide in her crate to keep her occupied. A few whimpers around 11:30- out to pee. Then again around 2:30. Then found Mommy had lifted her rawhide from the crate! Sneaky mommy... Then we slept until 6 !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Just like with kids, when they finally sleep all night it's SUCH a relief! :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Another poop free night! Seems like 5 hours sleep before her bladder kicks in.
Had her 9 week shots Monday, seems she has a touch of GIARDIA, antibiotics for treatment, no biggie as most puppies get it/have it. Part of being a little person.

She is really picking up on retrieving, always picking up and carrying sticks. Just need to walk around with my camera ready! Starting to figure out her name too.
image.jpeg
Aunt Dixie, Winnie and Parker.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nothing better than a "puppy pile". :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Was up at 1:30 am for a tinkle, back to the crate and Zzzzz's until about 4:30. Outside and all is well.

She is getting better by the minute about leash walking as well.

So I sent an old friend an email, MY NEW PARKER, included a couple pics of her. He replied Beautiful. I replied the blueing is so dark you can't see the engraving !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

image.jpeg
A hard day of play is enough to make a puppy snooze.
image.jpeg
New jewelry courtesy of AKC
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Parker wears her jewelry very well, Gunny.

8)
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Beautiful pup and she sounds like she is smart too. Should make a great friend and hunting companion down the road.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

image.jpeg
FETCH ! She is a proud little girl, tail always up & wagging.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
We really enjoyed your pics here in Sixgun Land. :D

Your layout is just like ours here...hardwood floors and covers on the furniture.

I have always been suspicious of people who refuse to have animals in the house. Around here I have to move dogs in order to sit down.....or sleep.....------6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six we are on the same page for sure!
Now I am in NO WAY a cat person, would never allow one in the house but I'd have a house full of dogs any day of the week!

If someone shows up here and they aren't a dog person my girls know it! They will just keep pestering that person until I tell them to just pet the dogs and they'll leave you alone- like magic & works every time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not sure if it's the time change or what but we slept through the night! Well from 9:00- 4:30 anyway, and I'll take it!
She really REALLY had pee this morning.
image.jpeg
A quarter for scale.

Claro is starting to bond with Parker, find them snoozing together more.
image.jpeg
Only time there is an issue is when Parker latches onto Claro's favorite dummy( no not me) then a gentle tug of war and some growling!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

T minus 3 days to pheasant opener, Claro is waiting patiently, my 410 is ready. Parker doesn't know it yet but she is ready for dead birds!
image.jpeg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Still sleeping through the night- THANKFULLY!!
Parker is getting the whole go outside to potty idea but still have the occasional accident, but that's my fault...
Had her to the vet the other day just to visit, I've made it a point to visit often just so the staff can spoil her some and then it's never traumatic to go there! She was 19.2 lbs. now if she would stop getting car sick!
image.jpeg
I almost had to sleep on the floor last night!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My dogs like going to the Vet. The secretary loves animals and is always handy with vitamins for whatever you bring in, be it a dog, cat, sugar glider, rabbit, or what have you. My dogs love getting the liver flavor vitamins for dogs. They are like a kid with a piece of candy.

19.2 lbs and growing is a pretty decent size for Parker's age. Sounds as if she will be a normal size adult soon enough. Lots of play and a whole bunch of food between now and then.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I let Parker have another bird today, actually picked it up and carried it with no problems! Then she started pulling feathers off one mouth full at a time!! I'm going to start hiding some wings around the yard and see just how good her nose is.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No rhyme or reason, up this morning at 0330- out the door and she tinkled a little. Most nights we get through the night... I'm starting to think Mommy (Winnie) is waking her up so I get out of bed and when I get back Win is in my spot! Conspiracy me thinks!
Otherwise we are doing good, chewing the furniture, leaving land mines on the floor, occasionally. Yesterday Parker chewed a hole in the end of a retrieving dummy, as they kept playing with it the rubber/ walnut hull stuffing was scattered around the kitchen. So had to vacuum the girls as well as the floor.
image.jpeg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

image.jpeg
Parker and Claro playing fetch .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one dog who will bark to go out about 5:30, and when I let him back in afterwards, he runs in and jumps on the bed and lays down right where I was sleeping. He even puts his head on the pillow. He closes his eyes and pretends to be asleep.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

About every 3 days she wakes me around 2:30 am, out the door and WE have a tinkle! This morning she took an odumbo too! :D
She is in a crate all night but when she goes out instead of her caring on in the crate I put her in bed, she flops down & goes right to sleep.
When I woke at 5:30 she pounced on me and smacked my right in my left eye!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3 days in a row she has had me up! Last night was 11:30, then 1:30 and 4:00!!! Did everything she should do when waking me up- OUTSIDE to tinkle and dumocrat . But geeze puppy do we really have to get up 3 times!?

Otherwise, Parker is doing very well! Walks nice on a leash, comes when called ( 99% of the time) goes up the stairs like a pro, still working on the down, and she is getting into as much trouble as a puppy should.
image.jpeg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Give her time Dad. She's still sorting things out ...

8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back to sleeping through the night, no idea why she had such a bad weekend...
I finally got an action pic of Parker, she is very proud and her tail is going to be the bane of coffee tables- It's always wagging!
image.jpeg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parker had a bath today! Not real happy about that but I tried to make it as fun as possible.... Of course I'm almost as wet as she is! Guess she will just have to wait until spring to see her mom play in the sprinkler to learn how fun water is!
image.jpeg
Leaf fragment stuck to her nose
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Past couple days I've been working on SIT with Parker. Maybe 50/50 on results with out using food. This afternoon I picked up some venison jerky for dogs and the SIT is zeroed in and she slams her butt down so hard I swear the windows rattle!!
image.jpeg
Dixie, Parker and Claro
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, I can't believe how fast she is growing up. What's she weigh now?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill, she was 22.7 lbs 2 weeks ago at the vets office... I'd guess she is over 25 by now!

She is growing like a weed, all legs and tail now.
Getting better when going in the truck, last trip no poopin, peeing or puking- That is progress!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of our Terriers sits on both verbal command and ASL command. Since SightHunter is deaf, we teach our dogs all commands in both English and ASL. The other Terrier, a one year old Rat Terrier named Masked Marvel, is still struggling with the concept that we are not always wanting to hold him when we say his name.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Deaf dog training is a challenge for sure! Never would have thought about ASL tho! I do use hand signals but not like you have. I'll file that away for future use!
Once my dogs get sit verbally I throw in a snap of the fingers, then once they get that I only use finger snap. People ask my dogs to sit and they look at me funny like I didn't train them at all. Then I'll snap and plunk goes the tuckus. The vet techs always try to get them to sit on the scale, when I hear the frustration in their voice I stick my arm thru the doorway, snap and plunk goes the butt on the scale... They just don't remember...

Not only does Parker like pheasants on the hoof, she REALLY likes to eat them cooked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Feed those tough old pheasants to the dogs and keep the quail and chukars for the humans, I say.

:lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So last night while wrangling Parker up the stairs I caught my right pinky toe on the edge of the staircase, twisted it out to the 3 o'clock. Not so bad normally but I instantly had a shooting pain go up my leg to my knee. This morning is the opener of our buck week gun season ( and bear)and I'm sitting home with my knee hurtin and a sore toe!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!