Browning 71 part

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Browning 71 part

Post by firefuzz »

Hi guys. Haven't been around for awhile, hope everyone is doing well. I'm helping a buddy put together a Browning 71 348 parts gun that he picked up cheap at an auction. We've found all the parts that were missing except the outer mainspring guide. Midwest Guns Works didn't have that one part. I've tried all the other sources I could find on the internet with no luck. Any thoughts or ideas where we might find one or another solution?

Thanks,

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 71 part

Post by Pete44ru »

firefuzz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am
We've found all the parts that were missing except the outer mainspring guide.

I've never heard of a Model 71 part called "outer mainspring guide", Rob - are you referring to the hammer spring guide, or the hammer spring abutment ?

If it's either one of those, Numrich has them: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... win?page=2

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

On the Browning 71 the mainspring guide is a two-piece affair that "trombones" into each other inside the spring. The guide doesn't go thru the mainspring abutment, but stops against it. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll have to change out the abutment, guide and hammer for an original 71 Winchester and if that will even work. The only other solution is to have one made. I guess I can try and find someone to make it, the one in my Browning '86 SRC is the same two-piece type.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-71/parts.html

I'm no good at moving pics, on the above schematic parts 45, 47, and 48 are what replaces the original. I'm needing #48.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

firefuzz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am the one in my Browning '86 SRC is the same two-piece type.
Miroku is currently making an 86. So you should be able to use a part from that. Have you had any luck finding parts for a current Miroku Winchester 1886?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for the education, Rob - I appreciate it. :oops: :oops:

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

vancelw wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 am
firefuzz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am the one in my Browning '86 SRC is the same two-piece type.
Miroku is currently making an 86. So you should be able to use a part from that. Have you had any luck finding parts for a current Miroku Winchester 1886?
The Miroku '86 is even different yet. It utilizes a split, flat, strut to accommodate that abominable rebounding hammer system.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... r_fix.html

Because I can!

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

firefuzz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 am
vancelw wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 am
The Miroku '86 is even different yet. It utilizes a split, flat, strut to accommodate that abominable rebounding hammer system.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... r_fix.html
Whodathunkit? Being made by the same company. :?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Before trying to have one made, have you looked at the later Winchester Model 71's produced by Miroku? They weren't produced all that long ago, so Winchester might have parts for them.