Sure made me laugh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Sure made me laugh

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Y'all might have seen it before, but if not, here ya go:

I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing butt-backwards.

Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 55.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' We are bad-tempered and impatient, and maybe letting us kill some person that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while..

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the hell. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical son-of-a-bitch.

If captured, we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however... I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million upset off old fanny burbs with bad attitudes and automatic weapons who know that heir best yea4rs re already behind them.

Send this to all of your senior friends...it's in big type so they can read it.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sure made me laugh

Post by earlmck »

Hah! Good one Bill. But one night in a fox hole and I'd have to have a young guy around to pull me out and stand me up. And then it'd be hours before I could do more than shuffle along. I'm just going to have to wait for the terrorists to come to me -- not up to going off looking for them.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Then there is this one.

Why doesn't the military use older men who have lived most of their lives already.

Answer: Tell a bunch of testosterone infused 18 year olds to charge a hill and up they will go.
Tell a bunch of 48 year olds to charge a hill and they just look at you and tell you that you really are crazy. (I had to clean it up a bit to make it g rated)
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

But, the 48 year olds would find a better way to fix the problem. At 52, I am not going to charge up the hill, but I might make my way around it and shoot the enemy in the back of the head. Why die for my country when I can make the enemy ba----rd die for his?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

... and that's why they got no use for old guys...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hear that they have just authorized up to 1000 Ex-Military pilots to be recalled to active duty. That'll go over like a turd in the punchbowl. :o (Study up on your DPRK maps, boys and girls)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:11 am I hear that they have just authorized up to 1000 Ex-Military pilots to be recalled to active duty. That'll go over like a turd in the punchbowl. :o (Study up on your DPRK maps, boys and girls)
Hey, this sounds like the Korean war all over again. Oh wait, it is, literally, the same war just postponed 64 years.

Retreads weren't too happy then either. Well, a few like my uncle Ray were, but he was really good at it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:11 am I hear that they have just authorized up to 1000 Ex-Military pilots to be recalled to active duty. That'll go over like a turd in the punchbowl. :o (Study up on your DPRK maps, boys and girls)
I pray you're wrong Blaine, but I fear you're right. :(
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Maybe I'm wrong and things have changed. But if one isn't in the reserves, and has resigned their commission they can't be recalled.

During the Korean war the pilots that were recalled had signed up for the reserves after WWII. They gladly took what ever benefits were offered, then when it came to living up the their end of the bargain some were unhappy.

The excellent General Jimmy Stewart movie "Strategic Air Command" pointed this out when the lead character had to give up baseball to return to the military. The main character had joined the reserves in the incorrect belief that he would never be called up.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:16 am Maybe I'm wrong and things have changed. But if one isn't in the reserves, and has resigned their commission they can't be recalled.

During the Korean war the pilots that were recalled had signed up for the reserves after WWII. They gladly took what ever benefits were offered, then when it came to living up the their end of the bargain some were unhappy.

The excellent General Jimmy Stewart movie "Strategic Air Command" pointed this out when the lead character had to give up baseball to return to the military. The main character had joined the reserves in the incorrect belief that he would never be called up.
If they are retired, they can be recalled.
Aren't all prior service automatically in the inactive reserve?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hadn't thought about the retired angle. But, enlisted folks, unless it's changed, who do one enlistment are in the inactive reserve until they've served a total of six years.

Officers, if they resign their commission are free and clear.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:16 pm Hadn't thought about the retired angle. But, enlisted folks, unless it's changed, who do one enlistment are in the inactive reserve until they've served a total of six years.

Officers, if they resign their commission are free and clear.
I'm not going to read this, but this is what the obligations are.

http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/military-se ... ation.html

But, yes, I'm on The Retired Rolls and supposedly can be asked to serve. It's supposedly the only way they can pay retirees.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

3 years active, then National Guard. More than 20 years since I got totally out. I cannot be recalled since I did not retire. With my feet, they wouldn't be able to put me back in the infantry anyway.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost