Glenfield 30A (1977)...again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Glenfield 30A (1977)...again

Post by 1894c »

I bought this 1977 Glenfield 30A for $400 (little high), it has the JM stamp, no cross-bolt safety, no rust, matter of fact I don’t think this gun has been fired much…I just installed a Williams Receiver Sight and will be installing sling studs, which I was shocked to have in my parts box (took scope rail off). This 30A has the thinnest forearm and stock I have ever handled on a Marlin outside of the Cowboy models.

The Glendfield 30A, as many of you know, was a second tier product produced by Marlin. They sold the Glenfield brand of rifles from 1973 to 1983 (some say they produced 268,000 of them). They were sold to the early chain stores like Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, and K-Mart to name a few. The 30A also comes in 35 Remington and they made a Model 30 that has a half magazine…

As you can see from the pics they are a 336, but without the frills (pics courtesy of gunbroker.com)—hardwood stock, one barrel band, no ramped or hooded front-sight, a basic rear sight, no white spacers, no end-cap on pistol grip, no gold trigger—it’s just plain…and, to be honest, that’s why I bought it.

Last week I took the Glenfield all apart, which I had never done before. I know that many think the Winchester's designed by John Browning is the best. But I'm starting to think John Marlin might be a genius in his own right. The Glenfield 30A is simple, large rugged parts, few springs, and easy to disassemble and reassemble. Unfortunately this is my second 30A, the first one I sold cheap to a buddy of mine.

PLEASE NOTE: as I decided to take the Glenfield all apart I discovered that the previous owner had drilled out two holes in the stock and placed two Remington Core-Lok 150 grain 30-30 bullets, they had been there so long that the exposed lead on the bullets are corroded (see pic)... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Glenfield 30A (1977)...again

Post by earlmck »

A fine and honest rifle. And what a nice touch to find those cartridges under the butt plate.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have the model 30, half magazine, great shooter. enjoy Yours. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

30-30,

That is a nice grab.

Years ago I shot one exactly like that one my friend owned at the time. The point on the comb of the stock beat my cheek bone to the point I developed a flinch. Since then I cannot shoot a pistol grip Marlin LG of any model.

Still a great rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That is a slick old 30-30!
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Very nice example of a 30a! I remember buying one at the local JC Penney store in 1977 for $139.99. Sold it to a friend about a year later who lost it in a flood.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking rifle. Both the Marlin 336 style and the Winchester 94 have their merits. They wouldn't have lasted so long or sold so many if they were not great designs.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice grab, especially with the extra cartridge storage.

I would suggest altering the buttplate to accept a swinging/hinged flat plate between the BP & the buttstock wood, for quick access to the stored cartridges, like the Savage Model 24C Camper's Companion was issued with. (although I would color the plate black, to match the BP)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice one, looks great. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.