A Right Decent Rossi 92 in 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

A Right Decent Rossi 92 in 45 Colt

Post by Sarge »

On November 19, 2016 at 10:19PM, some idiot said-
Sarge wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 pm I've been down that road with Brazilian 92's. No more, thank you.

Well, OK... maybe just one more ;)

I swapped into a new Rossi R92 about a week ago, with a 20” barrel in 45 Colt. The lever cycled smoothly, the sights were on good & square and there were no outward signs of shoddy workmanship or assembly. This one has a little more grain showing than my earlier 92's and there is even sort of a finish on it, as opposed to the stain-painted 92 stocks I've had in the past. The wood to metal fit is better than most that have been through my hands.

Oddly, this rifle has a longer stock than either of my previous 92's. Slick buttplate aside, it shoulders like a rifle ought to. The trigger is better than any new 92 I've handled.

Quick as chores were done, the Missus and I took it down and ran a few rounds through it. The sights were on from the factory and it fed the Lee 255 RF, the Missouri Bullet 255 SWCs and Sierra 240 JHPs all just fine. It shot well too. We started at 25 yards, moved to 50 yards and ended firing a few shots at 100. I never missed the 14” plate and was pleased to discover this menagerie of ammo landed in an egg shaped group maybe 4x6 inches, from the center of the plate to its lower edge. I gotta say, this 20” gun is easier to hit with than my 16” 45 Colt was. I seem to have finally gotten an excellent Rossi 92.

I needed to check this 92's accuracy but buckhorn sights and I don't get along for fine shooting. I shoot much better with a flat top rear sight and I happened to have a spare in the parts bin. I also replaced the front bead with a 0.400 tall take-off from a previous 16” Rossi 357, because I figured it'd work better with the lower replacement rear sight. I drifted both sights into what looked to be the center of the barrel and headed down in the field to check zero.

My standard 45 Colt load is a 8.5 grains of Universal and Maplewood's Lee 452-255-RF sized 0.454”. It pretty much duplicates the ballistics of the original 40 grain black-powder government load and it's been exceptionally accurate in every 45 Colt I've tried it it. My guesswork sight placement was perfect this time so I moved back to 100 yards, took a rest and fired three careful shots at the rifle plate. I heard it ring steel every time and I didn't see any hits out in the white, so I knew they all had to be in the 6” black dot. What I didn't expect was that they overlapped each other. It might not be a long range rig, but I can't complain about the way it shoots.

For clarifications sake- I'm not pretending for a minute I can reproduce that group on demand, but it's sure nice when the stars line up. It also tells me the rifle has plenty of accuracy for anything I'll need to do with a pistol-caliber lever action.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Right Decent Rossi 92 in 45 Colt

Post by JerryB »

You sure did get a keeper with that one. Reckon you could hunt anything you want with that carbine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have one like it, needs larger bullets in the size you used. Handles heavy loads easily.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm Have one like it, needs larger bullets in the size you used. Handles heavy loads easily.
What size are you running, OS?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

452 to 454. Heaviest load was 360 SWC at 1350 fps avg. Felt like shooting a shotgun.

Here is a picture I came across with some .44 data I was comparing one day. A B92 was involved. Only 50 yds though, these rifles cab be quite accurate with the right loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is one from the Rossi 92 45 like yours. This was also at 50 yds off the bench.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not too shabby. I'd hang on to that one.

One day I'm hoping that the stars will align and I'll have a pocket full of cash, and a 45 colt with a 24" barrel will come on the market at the same time.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Glad you got a keeper, for the money I like them well, have 2 in 45 ,a trapper & a 24 in oct. rifle
both shoot as good as I can see any more, the rifle has been shot around 3000 rounds with the 255 Lee bullet & the same
mold has made at least double that amount for other 45s, any way no malfunctions in either Rossi, are they a 1892
Winchester? well no, but for me I don't have to worry bout dinging the wood or the other worries of using a old Winchester for a pickup gun!

Brad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rossi seems to be improving their quality control. Glad you got a good one. I like my Rossi in .480 which has never given me a problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice rifle, I have one in 44 mag I bought 10-15 years ago I think :lol:
I got rid of the safety button, it is a pretty nice rifle but heavy with the oct. barrel.
Don`t shoot it much though.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I see some fine shootin' and beautiful rifles have found their way into this thread. Thanks to each one of you, for your input.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I am going on 2 years with my 357 Rossi. I cleaned it, worked the lever a few thousand times and shot it. I found it did not need any smoothing as so many like to do. Feeds everything I put through it and will hold easily into the half grapefruit target I like to shoot. I refinished the stock with hand rubbed linseed oil, replaced the plastic follower and spring. It's a keeper.