Basics of Muzzleloading PDF free

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Basics of Muzzleloading PDF free

Post by JohndeFresno »

Published by New Mexico State University and U.S. Dept. of Agriculture -
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/CR500.pdf
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Basics of Muzzleloading PDF free

Post by piller »

It explains things pretty well. I printed it. It could come in handy some time. Thanks John.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pretty good guide for anyone taking up the great shooting sport of muzzleloading. Thanks John.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is the reason why I printed it. I plan on taking a copy with me now on each range trip when the muzzleloader comes along. There is always someone who wants to know about muzzle loading. That would be a good little thing to give them to take home.

My muzzleloader is a modern inline style from CVA. It is supposedly capable of using up to 150 grains of black powder, but I have never gone above 100 grains. 90 grains gives better accuracy at 100 yards with the 240 grain .44 caliber(.429 actual) Hornady XTP bullets and the plastic sabots which I have settled on. Mine is a striker fired style and the long striker movement may affect accuracy some. I am not a good enough shot to be able to tell. I just know that I don't see that style anymore. My rifle will keep the shots in a 2 inch circle at 100 yards as long as I do my part. A fiberoptic front sight such as the one on mine will cover almost 2 inches at 100 yards anyway. A Hawken kit with either the flintlock or the percussion cap would be fun to put together and personalize, as well as allowing me to hunt some places where the muzzleloader season prohibits the modern inline ones as well as fiberoptic sights, scopes, 209 primers, and a few other things which are found on the muzzleloaders most commonly found for sale anywhere near me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Love those Hornady bullets - for jacketed loads. Interesting to learn that the great XTP's are used in muzzle stuffers, as well!

I have learned a lot about black powder and muzzleloading from this site, but the above cited document did indeed seem to explain the generalities of the sport quite well.

I am glad y'all found the document useful.