.357 companion.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

.357 companion.

Post by Old Savage »

Proper companion to a Rossi ..357 Trapper?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .357 companion.

Post by ollogger »

Don't know if its proper but I sure got a hankering to see the Ruger redhawk 357 8 shooter

Brad
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Depends on your taste and uses. I have a six inch S&W 586. It's easy to shoot well and is crazy accurate, but it's really too long and heavy to carry holstered very long. A four inch would be better. I think snub noses are too short to benefit the 357 (makes it a loud, fiery, hard kicking 9mm). I think any of the DAs from S&W, Ruger, Colt or Kimber with a three to five inch barrel would be most practical for general handgun use. SAs are fine too. Just bear in mind most are made on 45 frames and are a bit bulky for 357. The Freedom Arms 97 is a notable and very expensive exception. Since I'm recommending and I don't have to buy it, pick the last one with a 4 5/8" barrel!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

An Italian rifle needs an Italian revolver. http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-gun ... wagon.html
I love mine!
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

I hate to contradict 44shooter, who is a regular poster while I am but a lurker and habitual reader, but I couldn’t let the .357 snubbie comment go unchallenged. :)

So, what I get out of my Ruger SP101 2.25” with reasonable (not too hot, 158gr) commercial loads FAR exceeds in performance what is obtainable from a 9mm.

To compare:

From my 5” Dan Wesson 1911 I see the below results with a reasonable (again, not super-hot) commercial load is:

Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr JHP, about 1,050fps MV for about 318fpe ME with about 18" of penetration in denim-covered gel and about & expansion to over .50” consistently.

From my SP101 I see:

Remington HTP .357 Magnum 158gr SJHP, about 1,125fps MV for about 450fpe ME with about 15" of penetration in denim-covered gel and about & expansion to over .60” consistently.

Please focus on the energy delivered by a bullet which penetrates far enough (but not TOO far) and expands enough to actually capitalize on it.

My Ruger is almost twice as much on the receiving end as my (beloved) 9mm 1911.

Just sayin’....

mos
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Are those actual clocked velocities? You can't rely on published data with greatly reduced barrel lengths. If so I stand corrected. Your Ruger is handily beating a full size 9. I don't see twice of anything though except maybe recoil and noise. Your load from your Ruger is still comparable to 40 performance at best, not that that's a bad thing.

The 357 is a cartridge that both thrives and becomes more pleasant to shoot with barrel length. OS's carbine being the culmination of high velocity and good manners.

My recommendations are just my opinions based on what I have shot, seen, handled and read. Nothing wrong with carrying a 2 inch or an 8 inch if it suits you. I actually would lean toward a j frame or SP101 if I were looking another 357 revolver, but I would pick a slightly longer barrel around 3.25". A medium frame 4 inch would be nice too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

O.S.,
Pre-War Smith & Wesson "Registered" magnum. If your having trouble finding one of those, a pre-war Colt single action army is the next best thing. If all else fails, either a Colt Shooting Master or a New Service Target is hard to beat. Make sure you get the original box and paperwork for these guns all with a 98% or better condition. :D 4-5 g's will get you in the ballpark.

A levergun's best buddy is a single action .........your a man of class so a 3rd. Gen Colt with a 5 and 1/2" tube will complete the recipe or possibly a Ruger single action.....stay away from foreign junk. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A 50th Anniversary Ruger Blackhawk. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

S&W Model 13
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Actually I would consider look for a police or corrections trade in. You might get a nice S&W 66 or something similar pretty cheap. It might even come without the internal lock and mim parts!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm O.S.,
Pre-War Smith & Wesson "Registered" magnum. If your having trouble finding one of those, a pre-war Colt single action army is the next best thing. If all else fails, either a Colt Shooting Master or a New Service Target is hard to beat. Make sure you get the original box and paperwork for these guns all with a 98% or better condition. :D 4-5 g's will get you in the ballpark.

A levergun's best buddy is a single action .........your a man of class so a 3rd. Gen Colt with a 5 and 1/2" tube will complete the recipe or possibly a Ruger single action.....stay away from foreign junk. :D ---6
He want's a companion FOR his foreign junk. :)
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

They are clocked velocities, but I realize that the one is NOT “twice the power” of the other. It is a 50% increase, though. I’ll still take it!
44shooter wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm Are those actual clocked velocities? You can't rely on published data with greatly reduced barrel lengths. If so I stand corrected. Your Ruger is handily beating a full size 9. I don't see twice of anything though except maybe recoil and noise. Your load from your Ruger is still comparable to 40 performance at best, not that that's a bad thing.

The 357 is a cartridge that both thrives and becomes more pleasant to shoot with barrel length. OS's carbine being the culmination of high velocity and good manners.

My recommendations are just my opinions based on what I have shot, seen, handled and read. Nothing wrong with carrying a 2 inch or an 8 inch if it suits you. I actually would lean toward a j frame or SP101 if I were looking another 357 revolver, but I would pick a slightly longer barrel around 3.25". A medium frame 4 inch would be nice too.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I like my little Puma 357 and often carry a Smith model 19 4 inch or my Hawes357 as.a.companion. Just what I do.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

765x53 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 pm
He want's a companion FOR his foreign junk. :)

Oh! I see now......ok O.S........what you need is a slingshot and a handful of 36 caliber round balls. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Heritage Arms makes a .357 revolver which I have never seen. Could it be a possibility?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I got a 2nd gen Colt SAA in .357 to go with my Rossi 92.
Or a P&R 4" model 66 Smith. Or a 2.5" round butt model 19 Smith.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ray wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm I waited for a minute and a half for the foto of the scantily clad chica holding a lever gun to appear before i realized that it was a question…. :wink:
Me too, I miss the good old days.... :wink:
Seriously,if the 92 was in 44/40 a single action is the only way to go but .357 I would choose whatever appeals as long as it ain't plastic... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Model Ruger Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel. Can't think of a more handy sixgun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I recently found myself .357 poor. I looked and debated for awhile and really came down to three. A Ruger Blackhawk convertible, the 8 shot GP and an S&W 586. The S&W won out that day, I guess I was in a "vintage/ classy " mood and bought the 6" 586. I had been on a mission to replace my 2 1/2" model 66 but wanted something different.
Haven't had it out yet but I have no doubt that will be a great shooter.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to rectify my lack of a .357 in pistol or rifle. That is the biggest opening I need to fill. Soon...
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the opinions. Let me say this Rossi and the one I have in 45 Colt seem as smooth and tight as the B92s I have had. This Trapper functions great and was right on from the factory. Very nice handling.

We have a few winners here in terms of present options including 2 1/2" and 4" Model 19S, a Model 28 and a 50th Anniversary Ruger Flattop.

I did have the idea of an Italian SAA. I have three Piettas I like in other calibers and a Uberti.

Missed an opportunity on a Colt 3rd gen 4 5/8" that I let sit too long.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My most recent .357 purchase was an SP 101 with the 3" bbl. I really like the balance with it's front heavy feel. If I were going for a full size it would either be a 6" GP100 or a Ruger Bisley.
I used to shoot S&Ws exclusively but when they started using the built in trigger lock it turned me off on the new ones. An old 6 shot N frame would still work for me though, in fact I have an old M 28.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

my last attempt at purchasing a .357 Magnum transitioned into a Glock 20 in 10mm... you gotta like 15+1 rounds... with two extra mags for that quick tactical re-load against a multiple Brown Bear threat and possible assault, especially since back-up could be 15-minutes away... :)
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm an old dog so I've always felt that levergun and a single action revolver make perfect companions. I have a 94ae Trapper in 357 mag, and I got a Ruger Blackhawk to complement the 94AE. I sold my K-frame clone Rossi to finance the Blackhawk, no regrets at all. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW My Rossi Puma's pal (in .44 Mag.) is a Ruger SBH, keeping with the "period" theme. If I had a .357 M92 (soon I hope), it would also have a single action traveling buddy...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

There were plenty of Double actions produced during the 92 Winchester production period. Some even before like my first model DA 44.

I have a pair of Vaqueros but I prefer double actions for general use. With autos, I'm the opposite, so far.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My .357 Rossi's aren't Trappers, but are simply your run-of-the-mill 20" carbines. They are usually paired with either a 7-½" 2nd Gen SAA or an old Jager clone of 4-¾" variety. Then again, I happen to really like my S&W mdl 65-4. None of the foregoing ever see actual magnum ammo, but do see .38+P ammo on social occasions.

BTW, .357 Magnum cases full of 3F Goex and a 158gr pill make a very satisfying and surprising combination.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Considering the history of production overlap noted, the N frame Smith certainly qualifies. Might still say the type of the the 50th Anniversary Ruger also qualifies to my view.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

6's pre-war Colt will, I think, out perform most things from a financial perspective. I think a New Model Blackhawk would make a good companion.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A new model Blackhawk would make a fine companion to any .357 lever gun. Of course, I do like Ruger single action pistols.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

50th Anniversary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am 50th Anniversary
I got one of the first ones that came out. You'll like it a lot. I'm looking for some BBQ grips for mine...someday, anyway. Check the little rachets(?) on the back of the cyl. My new one chewed them up and Ruger had to replace the cyl.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I had this problem in reverse. Have a 6" S&W highway Patrolman and 4" Security Six. Bought the Rossi 16" Trapper to go with them. The Sec Six carries better. I'm sorting out handloads now that will work well in all three. If I had to buy a revolver to match the rifle I think I would look for a good Ruger Speed Six or Service six. Something with the fixed sights. The round butt would be a plus. I would also turn it into a spurless D.A.O.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 am I need to rectify my lack of a .357 in pistol or rifle. That is the biggest opening I need to fill. Soon...
357 Mag was the 'awesome powerhouse' back in the '70's, but these days makes a nice all-around cartridge 'pair' for rifle and handgun, for sporting or defense, for big macho-man, or petite lady/kid. Hard to beat as a "if only one cartridge" scenario..
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

....how about a Desert Eagle 357 Mag..... :o :shock: :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm ....how about a Desert Eagle 357 Mag..... :o :shock: :D
He's pretty old for something like that. :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My wife thought it was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357/9mm for her Rossi.
It is not the critic who counts
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Which ever floats your boat. And preferably several. For myself, any double action S&W 2” to 4” barrel teams up well with a 357Magnum M92. Tailor the ammo to the job, from mid-range wadcutters to full power.

Single actions are also sweet.

I grew up watching NOT too many Westerns, and we still are. :D
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

My .357 companions for open carry are two S&W M19 revolvers; a 4 and a 6 inch. These are backed up by a 4 inch .44 mag worn cross draw for ease of access and egress from vehicles. Pix of all have been posted here in the past.
One of these always goes along when hunting or working out in "the country", regardless of the caliber rifle or shotgun being carried. There have been a couple of vacation fishing trips where the M19 six inch may have avoided unwanted contact by locals.
Anyone else open carry when fly fishing or is it only Texans?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

crshelton wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am My .357 companions for open carry are two S&W M19 revolvers; a 4 and a 6 inch. These are backed up by a 4 inch .44 mag worn cross draw for ease of access and egress from vehicles. Pix of all have been posted here in the past.
One of these always goes along when hunting or working out in "the country", regardless of the caliber rifle or shotgun being carried. There have been a couple of vacation fishing trips where the M19 six inch may have avoided unwanted contact by locals.
Anyone else open carry when fly fishing or is it only Texans?
Us Okies do it too but then aren't we just considered the "North Forty" by most Texicans?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That 50th Anniversary Ruger was a good choice OS. For me, I opted for a 4-5/8" 3-screw, which I'm still waiting on my B-I-L to deliver... however, in the meantime I have 4" mdl 65 S&W, 4-¾" Colt SAA and a 7-½" Colt SAA as field mates for my 2 20" Rossi carbines.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I pack this 2.5 RB model 19 sometimes with my older Rossi .357.
Oh, and here in Maine, I wouldn't even go fishing if I couldn't pack a gun. :D
rps20171123_120126.jpg
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Yeh, my companion for a trapper would be something with a longer barrel. That way I could take my reading glasses off to shoot it :-D :-D :-D
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

My 357 combo is a Winchester mdl 94 legacy.....the one on the bottom
and a S&W 686
I need to take them out to play more!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS