extar 556

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

extar 556

Post by Grizz »

anyone have hands-on current experience with the extar 556?

has anyone had one and dumped it?

I'm looking at as a better car-go piece than my AR pistol, fits in book bag back pack better, retains fire power with standard 30 round+ magazine capacity. about half the length of my AR pistola, and according to some accurate too.

what seems good to me is the size and weight, and ability to handle easily inside a car or other confined space. a green dot laser would be a good thing I think. what think ye?

what's not to lik?

no, really, what is unlikeable about them from the practical shooters POV?

as always, thanks for any and all input
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: extar 556

Post by AJMD429 »

I have an AR pistol in 300 Blk that has a Law Tactical folding adapter, so it is compact, high-cap, and with subsonic not deafening.

However it won't cycle unless the buffer tube is unfolded (very fast to do), and of course is bulkier then.

So - like you, I'm interested in the Extar....I read they don't make them in 300 Blk yet though, and I do prefer that clambering.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've been watching videos, 100 round mag dumps, something I don't do, seem to go without a hitch. and it can shoot straight too, the bullets appear to land where the sights are lined up. good enough and conceal under a trenchcoat...? wahooo.

plus which, I forgot to buy a gun this year ! ooops
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think if I wanted to go up in size for an EDC a bit, this would be a nice one. Small, light, and you can leave the house with 60 rounds. .22 Mag 30 grain HPs shreds meat pretty good. I've never heard anything bad about KelTek. They make a .223 pistol about the same size, maybe a little smaller, as the Extar.
I love stressing over options. :lol:

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/pmr-30
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am I think if I wanted to go up in size for an EDC a bit, this would be a nice one. Small, light, and you can leave the house with 60 rounds. .22 Mag 30 grain HPs shreds meat pretty good. I've never heard anything bad about KelTek. They make a .223 pistol about the same size, maybe a little smaller, as the Extar.

Not to veer the thread totally off-track, but I heard some of the early PMR-30's were problematic. Did they make some major re-do of them...?

As far as the EXTAR-223.........
Really_really_want1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm
BlaineG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am I think if I wanted to go up in size for an EDC a bit, this would be a nice one. Small, light, and you can leave the house with 60 rounds. .22 Mag 30 grain HPs shreds meat pretty good. I've never heard anything bad about KelTek. They make a .223 pistol about the same size, maybe a little smaller, as the Extar.

Not to veer the thread totally off-track, but I heard some of the early PMR-30's were problematic. Did they make some major re-do of them...?

As far as the EXTAR-223.........
Really_really_want1.jpg
I have no idea....The little .32s and 380s sure work good all the time. But, there I go, assuming :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I read not so good stuff about them, but they might be reliable now. 22 mag doesn't do anything for me, and 556 is ubermag in comparison. I think.

I'm just interested in extar right now and like what I've seen on u2oob. All my AR stuff will work with it. Green laser would be useful I think. If I shoot it from the man van the car would be the brass catcher. Heh!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Good friend of mine has two of them. One prefers 556 over 223 for cycling but the other eats both. They are Uber Loud! They actually recoil downward a little the muzzle break works so good. Feeding is good with magpul mags, and they will have you buying lots of ammo.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks m.

I like those kind of reports.

my ar pistols are loud too, the concussion behind them is really something sometimes, especially shooting under a roof.

going to go looking soon, see if the local guy has it.