Shoulder replacement?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Shoulder replacement?

Post by gcs »

So apparently I'm worn out.... knees, hips shoulders, back, constant pain and limited motion, and my adapt and improvise options are about done, lol
Not complaining, it is what it is. The doc claims my right shoulder is bone on bone, and says a total shoulder replacement is the only option left.
Long recovery, and when asked if I can still shoot, he said NO, I damage the joint and things will be worse then before.
Of course I don't want to believe that...A few shots with a 30-30 during deer season shouldn't be that much stress, especially if I put a good recoil pad on, but Goose hunting might be a bit much.
So if any of you have any experience with these things I'd appreciate some input.

Looks like I'll need new knees too... the old guys were right, getting old sucks.. :mrgreen:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shoulder replacement?

Post by jdad »

You come here to ask for justification to ignore your surgeons opinion?

I split my Labrum and tore my biceps tendon off, in a fall, several years ago. I did exactly what the Ortho and PT told me to do. 100% recovery.

I'm still sort of a gym rat. I was told to never do a bar dip again. I have never done a bar dip since.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'd take Winston Churchill's advice on this one: "If the experts tell you it can't be done, and if it absolutely has to be done, then you change experts".

Go look for a different shoulder surgeon. In this part of the world we have one surgeon who seems to do 2/3 of the shoulder replacements performed. This fellow is no longer "practicing" -- he has the operation totally figured out. So he's the guy I used for my replacement a couple of years ago and he did not tell me I had to stop shooting. In fact he said "no problem" but I have voluntarily stopped shooting the heavy kickers. Might have helped that I'd pretty much stopped shooting them before the surgery because it just plain hurt to shoot 'em with that old nasty wore-out shoulder.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I had a shoulder rebuild and upper bicep tendon repair a couple of years ago; was totally out of commission for three months. I started back shooting immediately thereafter and I wasn't about to give up my 30-06. A serious l pad was going to be required. I decided on the Limbsaver because I’ve used their pads on shotguns; they are top notch. Their Nitro pad is designed for safari-grade magnums and a full 1 1/2 inches thick and it got me back shooting with no ill effects.

http://www.nokick.com/Grind_To_Fit_Pad_ ... -10538.htm

You're a big boy and can decide what you're going to do. Just weigh the consequences and be ready to live with a sheet sandwich if you choose poorly.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You can buy or build your own reduced recoil 30-30 ammo. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Said that I didn't want to believe it, not that I wouldn't, I also believe doctors are very conservative when giving advise to cover their keesters. Thus the request for input. And yes, I can make grown up decisions, lol
Thanks to all that don't yell at me.... :mrgreen:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

gcs wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:52 am
... the old guys were right, getting old sucks.. :mrgreen:
It aint for sissies, that's for sure.

A friend had a shoulder replaced about a year ago and is doing fine, he is 77. Took him a while in Physical Therapy to get range of motion back completely . He shoots twice a week with our club, but it's only .22 rimfire.

I might consult with another doctor if I was told I would not be able to shoot anymore.

Best of luck to you .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Get a second opinion. Heck, Rocky Bleier was told that he would never walk again and won 4 Superbowl rings with half of his right foot gone. Glen Cunningham of Rolla Kansas was burned so badly as a kid that several Doctors told his parents he would never walk again. Years later he held the record for the fastest mile run. Get a Doctor who believes in his/her ability enough to be able to give you a chance if you build up your strength again after the surgery. You have to do your part. Strength building is imperative.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There's a big difference between shooting a 32-20 out of a 24" octagon levergun, and a 12 gauge slug from an 18" breakopen shotgun, let alone different types of handguns.

If the surgeon isn't familiar with guns and shooting, he is probably playing it safe by just saying "don't shoot anything".

I'd find a surgeon who likes to hunt, and see what he or she says; you can still have the one you've talked to do the surgery, you just want more specific advice. You might even ask that surgeon if he knows a fellow surgeon who shoots...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have no idea how people here have led their lives but I'm 63 and have no issues whatsoever...I can blast with a 460 Weatherby if I so choose. What makes a guy need shoulder/knee/hip replacements? OK, I can understand 70 or a bit older.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sixgun, a lot of it is genetics and nutrition in their early years. Genetics can give the blueprint to have a body which heals itself well, but if the nutrition is a little low when young, it can permanently curtail the healing. These two things are not all of it, but they are important parts. Sort of how a great gun design can be hampered by unknowingly using lesser quality steel or incorrectly heat treated steel for critical parts. There are also environmental factors and injuries to add into the mix. Lots of little things can add together to cause the need for a repair.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Also what We do for work to earn a living has great affect on our body. daily repetition thousands of times a year...How much in a lifetime? say 40-50 years? I am 63 and can tell You that 80-100lb boxes unloading the truck at 6:00 AM feel pretty heavy now. even when I was 50 it was a breeze.
Good Luck with Your operation.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I'm a commercial fisherman, long hours, heavy lifting, all kinds of weather, freezing conditions and a lot of years. I've been improvising for years but it's caught up to me.
Bone on bone in the shoulder, knees, the hip is bad, the back is shot, I've shrunk 2" and I stumble around like Frankenstien, LOL, Trust me, I wish it wasn't so, but it's the cards I hold.
So I have to make a decision of what to try and fix, or not to bother. I know work, and shooting stuff, Doc says I could play golf.... :? .. I'd rather fall off a mountain. :mrgreen:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Go ahead and get that new shoulder. I put it off for about 5 years too many and had muscle deterioration to the extent that the doc wouldn't use the regular mechanical device but would still do the one they call the "reverse" device where the ball/socket is reversed. For some reason they can do this type after you have deteriorated or have rotator cuff damage that would prevent success with the regular replacement. The regular replacement, although it requires more rehab time, is a more capable shoulder when done right. The doc tells me I should never lift more that 50 pounds with my reverse shoulder and I do try to pay attention to that one just in case he is right about it.

When you get the knees replaced there is a little detail they didn't mention (actually I think the surgeon doesn't know and doesn't care). You can very soon (within weeks) walk fine on reasonably level ground with much reduced pain. But hiking the steep stuff? Well that takes well over a year to get the strength back to just walk normally up and down stairs or steep hills. I was pretty disappointed in my new knees the first hunting season (6 months after replacement) and was still a little disappointed the next year. But by now I don't have to think about it and can walk up and down anything I used to (although I don't leap off of tall buildings any more :D ) And the new mechanical things don't bend as far as the originals -- Squatting to poop out in the woods is a bit of challenge.

It is great that they make replacements for these wore-out joints: take advantage of it so you can "keep on moving".

And I have come to learn that not all surgeons are created equal. If you can find some folks with successful replacements in your area, find out who their surgeon was. I was lucky that three of my wife's sewing-circle friends had shoulders replaced within about a two year period and they all used the same surgeon. So I went with him. One of my rancher buddies used a different fellow (despite my advice) and didn't have near as good a luck. It is hard to find out these things inside the medical community but is worth the research if you can.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:53 am I have no idea how people here have led their lives but I'm 63 and have no issues whatsoever...I can blast with a 460 Weatherby if I so choose. What makes a guy need shoulder/knee/hip replacements? OK, I can understand 70 or a bit older.---6
Ya you won't hurt much when all you have to do all day at work is fluff your seat cushion :D
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing this came up. I was at a wedding yesterday and my BIL, who is 73 had both shoulders done. He is very happy with the outcome and continues to stay busy. Drives tractor trailers for a living and has no plans to retire.

Harry.....good one! :D That is true and the forklifts for the last 30 years have had adjustable seats..really nice.

But I do my share of physical work at home but nothing like the guy who does it for a living. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm sure it varies on a case by case basis, but my cousin had shoulder replacement a couple years ago and still shoots handguns, rifles, and shotguns with zero issues.... so far.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I spent 30 yrs in L.E. and about 15 yrs ago had my rt shoulder cleaned out due to several injuries, then a total replacement 15 yrs later at 52 yrs old that forced retirement, even though I felt 100 percent. I posted about it here years ago asking opinions about hunting elk with a 30-30 five months after surgery. I bought a Marlin TK 30-30 and shot it fine using a recoil pad. I was back hunting the next year with my 45-70 and 30-06 pain free. I have limbsaver pads on anything .308 and up. The first year after surgery I also used a shotgun shoulder pad in addition to the recoil pad when bench shooting. It helped a lot. I usually limit shooting sessions with my hunting rifles to about 30 rounds. Smaller calibers like .223 or any handguns are not an issue at alI.
I work out just like before, but much less weight mostly because of age..not the shoulder. Ask most who have had the replacement and they'll say they wish they had done it earlier. Even the recovery pain wasn't as bad as the daily pain prior.

I will tell you the physical therapy is extremely important to gain back most of the mobility. It sucks but you HAVE to do it. As far as shooting or anything else, we're all different...ease back into and talk to the therapists/Dr. about shooting. For the record...just shot a cow elk last week with 30-06. Going back next month with the 45-70. Good luck to you!
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

jdad wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 am You come here to ask for justification to ignore your surgeons opinion?
How do any of us know the surgeon isn't an anti-gun crusader?

Second opinion sure would seem like a wise thing to have in this case.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had my shoulder replacement 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I also had the reverse method done one mine. That was the doctor's choice, I figured he was the expert. I'm to the point where I don't care for recoil any more anyway.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I want to thank all that responded, the tunnel doesn't look so dark now. :mrgreen: