Barrel Band, Baby

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
levallois
Levergunner

Barrel Band, Baby

Post by levallois »

Sorry if you’ve seen this elsewhere, I don’t know how much cross-pollination there is amongst the various forums.

Been looking at Savage 1899/99 rifles for years but had too many other pressing interests. Lately, I have decided that I need one and it has to be a carbine. The SRCs and Barrel Bands are my favorites. So I bid too much for this BB in caliber 250-3000. Made in 1935. Photos don’t do it justice. Need to order some ammo since I don’t reload. Looks like much of the factory stuff out there is 100gr bullets (including the new Hornady ammo) which I have read may not shoot well in my BB due to barrel twist? Have any of you gotten the 100gr bullets to work in your old Savages? Anyway, I am in love with this thing - can’t wait to take it to the range.

"It ain't like the old days, but it'll do"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Barrel Band, Baby

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yeah, it's the rifling twist. Yours is 1 in 14" and was designed for the 87 grain bullet. Buy some ammo loaded with 87 grainers and watch those groups shrink to something about dime size. Don't worry the dead deer will never know you didn't kill him with a 100 grain bullet. I've killed at least half a hundred whitetail with the 87 grain Sierra. There were a couple which took a couple of steps before dropping but most were DRT.

Nice carbine by the way. You're gonna love it and it's the right caliber for a 99.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You can never pay too much for a Model 1899/99 Carbine, especially one in the condition yours appears to be in - used, but not abused or molested.

As stated, the 87gr 250/3000 load had been doing business for over 100 years.

I have a ca. 1914 Model 1899H lightweight carbine in .303 Savage that I just love for it's handiness.

Good luck with yours !

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

As you know, any true Savage 99 carbine is a rare bird, and finding one in good condition is nearly impossible! The caliber is probably one of the best Savage ever chambered for, and should be a great shooter once you get the right bullet, and load. Be sure to check the bore diameter prior to buying ammo or bullets, as it will be important to getting the best accuracy from the .250-3000!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

M.M. Wright has good advice for your 14" twist Savage. But those barrels were turned out with a certain slop in the exactness of twist, so it wouldn't hurt to shoot a few of the factory 100 grains through to see if they will shoot in your new baby. They don't in mine but we all have heard stories of rifles which will shoot the 100 grainers. So you don't know for sure until you try.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's a very nice rifle in a hard to find configuration in a most excellent caliber. Good snag.----6
Model A Uzi’s
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's is a nice one for sure!! having had Savage lever guns for nearly 50 years, that is one ive never had, nor can I think of
ever seeing one at a gun show or a store

Brad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

What Brad said,I have seen a lot of 99's at gun shows. I have never seen a carbine, I'll bet that thing would sure ride nice under your leg in a saddle scabbard.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

My .250/3000 M-99 isn't a carbine, but it was manufactured in 1941. I have carefully verified that it's a 1:14 twist.
I've had no issues with Winchester 100 gn. Silvertip factory ammo. I also load my own with 100 gn PSP bullets. Both have worked well on Whitetail.