mold for a Win 92 .44 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

mold for a Win 92 .44 mag

Post by remshooter »

bought a new Win 92 .44 mag this summer ,only mold i got is. a RCBS .44-250-K ,. MOD# .082080 ,of course i knew it would not work ,but tried anyway ,yep ,it to long ,still want a 240 grain lead bullet will the Lyman #429667 or Accurate molds #43-240A work ,? and are they short enuff to feed?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: mold for a Win 92 .44 mag

Post by earlmck »

That accurate mould has virtually the same nose as on my NOE mould and it works very nicely for my 44/40 and 44 mag Rossi levers.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: mold for a Win 92 .44 mag

Post by gundownunder »

You could use the 250K bullets in 44 special cases. That should fix your OAL problem, as long as the SWC design cycles smoothly through your particular gun, some guns will, some won't.
If you want to use 44 Mag cases, you may need to find a design which keeps the length from the nose to the crimp groove, down around .325" or less.
If it is Accurate molds you are looking at, (and I wouldn't normally look at anything else) then the 43-240A, or 43-240E would be good.
If it's a heavy for caliber bullet you are looking for, how about the 43-250E, 43-250F, or 43-255M, or the 265 grain designed for the .444, although this bullet may take up more powder space than you'd like, especially if you want high velocity loads.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 265M-D.png
I don't own a 44 but in my 357 I use a 180 grain almost exclusively. The bigger bullet may start off a couple hundred feet per second slower, but just like a freight train, once they're moving, it takes a lot to stop them. My 180s, even starting at a leisurely 1350 FPS, will consistently topple the 40 pound rams at 200 meters.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.