OT. Anyone Here Wanna Buy a House in Hawai'i?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

OT. Anyone Here Wanna Buy a House in Hawai'i?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My home of 51+ year just went on the market, And I wanted to share some pictures of it before it's gone. SO many great memories growing up here but honestly it has changed so much in the past 50 years, not the same place it was, but where is, honestly? Anyways, here's the link: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/6 ... iew=public
My dad left it for all 6 of his children though not divided evenly. I'll get 14% of whatever's left after paying of balance of mortgage, taxes, realtor and escrow fees, etc. That'll be a tad over $100,000. Only thing $100,000 will buy me here is an illegally built shack with no power or water on a lava flow with a meth lab next door out in the middle of nowhere on the Big Island. AARP email says Birmingham, Alabama is the least expensive place to retire in the US of A (aka Murca). I was "Zillowing" the place and saw many nice homes for under $100,000! I'll be getting $700.00 from my State retirement plan, and another $700.00 from Social Security for a total of $1400.00 a month to live off of when I retire. I think it can be done. Hardest part would be convincing my wife to move there. House in Bama or cardboard box in Hawai'i? Do I need to worry about the KKK in Birmingham? I hear the deer hunting is spectacular!
Farewell 614 Iana St. you were a great place to grow up.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT. Anyone Here Wanna Buy a House in Hawai'i?

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds to me like you don't care for the mainland and wouldn't paddle your way over if you didn't have to.

Sad that you might have to leave paradise for such a despicable racist hell-hole like the continental USA.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ji, it's sad when we have to move on... Hope all goes well for you. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Trust me, if you set up shop in an affordable part of a larger city, it won't be the KKK you need to worry about.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

looks like a nice place but a bit out of my price range, check out west plains Missouri, we have looked a lot down there
and it looks like it has a lot to offer for the money, cheap taxes & power, with lots of national forest & water
http://www.bakerealty.com

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ollogger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm looks like a nice place but a bit out of my price range, check out west plains Missouri, we have looked a lot down there
and it looks like it has a lot to offer for the money, cheap taxes & power, with lots of national forest & water

Brad
Would you say that's better than WY? :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Hopefully everything works well for you.
BIG MOVE!!!!!! Talk about a fresh start!
A guy I worked with gave me a good piece of advise....... "Aways move to something, never away from something."
To me it has helped smooth things out.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm
ollogger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm looks like a nice place but a bit out of my price range, check out west plains Missouri, we have looked a lot down there

Brad
No I wont say that today but the first time the wind kicks up to 80 mph for the season, I will be looking at real estate in Mo. again

Brad
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Sorry you have to leave It! I like the canal out back a lot nicer place than my great grandmother's there in Palolo Valley. In the southern mainland that canal would be full of snakes and gators. Things not in Hawaii. I think if you did move you may find some adventure and some freedoms that's hard to come by on the islands. Not to sure you will find manapuas in bama!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ollogger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Brad
No I wont say that today but the first time the wind kicks up to 80 mph for the season, I will be looking at real estate in Mo. again

Brad
I'm from the midwest, and was stationed a couple times at Ft Leavenworth (not the prison :lol: :lol: ) I loved going down to Bolivar and the Lake Pom de Terre...Some of the best squill hunting anywhere. I'd give up deer hunts for a good squill season in a heartbeat.
I also remember 100 degrees and 100% humidity, ice blizzards and tornados, too... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mahalo one and all for your input and insight. My kid sis who has lived in SW Florida has been trying to get me to move there for a couple years now. Canal front property there is less than a quarter the cost of one here but... still about $150,000 more than I can afford. Ever since Irma passed right over her home her tone has changed a bit, and she is considering relocating to "Johjah". She gets the same 14% of home sale proceeds as me, and she's lookin' to put money down a place on Georgia, and rent out her duplex in Cape Coral that income helping to pay the Georgia mortage. I'd love access to the ocean via canal or river or ocean front but don't think that'll happen on $100,000. I'd be happy with a stream or lake too if full of Crappie and/or Yellow Perch. LOVE canoeing and fishing. Land bordering a national forest would be nice with small game hunting available like bunnies and squills. Just thinkin' out loud. I have a couple years to convince my wife. I almost had her convinced in advance but Irma scared her too. Again, thanks for all the input, keep them coming, I'm open to suggestions.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

ollogger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Brad

Brad
I hear ya on the wind but that humidity in MO would kill me long before WY blows me away. I pass through there a lot going back and forth to the east and when I stop in MO in the summer, I feel like I got a two ton hot wet blanket dropped on me, to the point I can't even breath. MO is very pretty country and the real estate prices are great but I grew up in eastern river bottom country and swore I would never live somewhere that I start to sweat right out of a shower. Of course for Ji, that may feel normal. Never been to HI so don't know how humid it gets.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Hawai'i is terribly humid with all the moisture from the sea surrounding it, and the subtropical heat. The house I grew up in had for the roof boards a by-product of sugar cane production a 3.5" thick cane fiber board called "canec" which does a great job insulating the roof from solar heat. This combined with jalousie windows and trade winds kept the humidity borderline bearable. My new home has combed cedar boards for the roof neighboring structures block the trade winds so even with a fan all it does is circulated the hot humid air. I loved living on Maui because where I lived in Kula was about 3500' in elevation so I could return from a hot humid 91 degree Lahaina where my office was located to 50 degree Kula. I also had apples, peaches, and avocados, wild asparagus, chayote squash, and radish growing wild in this cool rich environment. I had great year round deer hunting just 5 minutes away. I also had my pet pig Lucille. I wish I could have stayed there but family obligations brought me back to Kailua, Oahu. Now prices are so high there I could never afford to move back. I hear SW Florida very humid in the summer so AC a must. How's the politics and weather around Puget Sound, WA.? Homes along the St. Johns river in NE Florida look nice but don't know the area as far as crime, racism, etc. I know I'm asking allot but is there anywhere where I can buy a riverfront or lakefront home for under $100,000 that's not TOO far in the boonies? I LOVE the boonies but wife doesn't so a compromise not bad maybe and hour at most from a small town? I like to dream.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How's the politics and weather around Puget Sound, WA.
The most miserable thing for me around Tacoma/Seattle/Olympia is the traffic on and around I-5. Just horrible. It's hard to go anyplace without a slowdown or jam.
The weather is good for me. Not too hot maybe 75-80 average in summer, not too cold winter days are usually about 40 daytime, frosty at night. We get about 40" rain a year but spread out so it always seems cloudy. I think it's beautiful. Puget Sound is right there, pacific ocean beaches 90 minutes away. The Cascade Mountains right at hand.
BUT, the living is expensive. Taxes are high. It's not near as liberal as Hawaii, but it's getting worse, not better.
I live about 20 miles south of Tacoma in a really nice Old fanny burp community in a paid off double wide so it's not too expensive, but if you were to try and buy a stick house, or land for a place 100,000 would not go very far and you wouldn't like it if you could find one that cheap. You could probably rent a decent house for 1500 a month
If I didn't have a daughter here in town and acceptable VA facilities I would move in a heartbeat. If I wanted to move and stay in Washington, I'd go east of the mountains or out from the I-5 area 30 or 40 miles. Heck, if the politics and expense don't bother you, you'd probably love it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think we all become accustomed to where we grew up. I love it here in Pa....but.....you have to be away from any major city. We have no natural catastrophes other than remnants of hurricanes which are about equal to a hard rain.

Taxes are great....like I said, AWAY from any major city where 90% of the inhabitants have their hands out.

Traffic is still bearable.

$100,000 will buy a decent small house on a couple of acres .....upstate....say, above Harrisburg in the central, western part of the state to all the way north.....the further you go north, the cheaper it becomes. It's pretty much redneck territory. There's an old saying about Pennsylvania..."We have Philadelphia on the right, Pittsburgh on the left, and Alabama in between". There's little work in the redneck areas so it's a good place to retire.----6
Model A Uzi’s
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I live outside of Birmingham and though the cost of living(thankfully)is not too bad here it is not a place I would choose to live if I could control that.South of Birmingham near Hoover and even further south is better but the traffic is awful!If I could choose a place in Alabama to live it would be in the Coastal Plain where there is a lot of wide open area,good fishing,good hunting and you are not too far from the Gulf Coast.Hope you find something you can afford and that you can enjoy.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kansas has some deer and squirrel hunting. Lots of lakes you can camp on the shoreline and fish from. Texas has quite a lot of public land with hellacious hunting pressure. If you want a chance to see game in Texas, you will have to get a lease. Colorado is getting expensive enough that Hollywood stars are being priced out.

Good luck with wherever you choose. That .357 carbine you had back when you were visiting Hondo would be plenty for most of Texas and all of Kansas. Those big Kansas/Missouri white tail deer still go down to a .357 Magnum.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Look around Guntersville Lake. Really pretty, lots of water. Not too far from Birmingham, Huntsville, and Chattanooga.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 am Welcome to the heart of dixie !…..

with that $100,000 you can buy your own sportsman's paradise or a nice home in town but I personally would stay away from birmingham……

feel free to p.m. me if i can be of any assistance…. i may be slow responding as i infrequently log-in
+10
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The old homestead sold yesterday for 1.1m, my dad paid $33,000 for it in 1966. I'll get 14% of whatever is left after all outstanding balances and expenses are paid. I think it may be less than what I thought. Maybe just a small property in a small town in the south with low cost of living and mild winters will do. Maybe a place with less chance of tornadoes. My retirement check including social security will be $1400.00 a month. With a fully paid off home I think me, my wife, and my disabled son could live off that... I think. May need to get a part time job to help supplement the retirement check. The little village of Kailua I grew up in has become a yuppy suburb of LA. The last native Hawaiian family on my old street sold their home and they all moved to Las Vegas last month. I grew up with them, me and them the last blue collars on my street but now no more left. Here they call Las Vegas the 8th Hawaiian island as so many Hawaiians have moved to retire there not being able to afford retirement in their own home towns. But LV not for me. If I can't have the ocean I'll compromise with and easily accessible body of freshwater nearby with good fishing, and canoeing possibilities. Am I kidding myself?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Happy to hear your place sold. I know it's a tough thing to do. As it turns out I'll be putting my mom's place up for sale in a few months. Fortunately it's not the home we grew up in. That place was similar to your situation. A great place on the water that my dad had bought in the early '70s and had appreciated astronomically. The place she recently had was a good, solid four bedroom ranch about a mile from Lake Erie. It's worth about $120k or so with a small mortgage on it. Fortunately it's just my sister and I so there aren't too many decisions that have to be dealt with a large number if siblings involved. I feel very lucky about that after seeing what my wife went through dealing with a couple of her sisters and their husbands over pennies. Pathetic. That woman had nothing.

Anyway,
Good luck with your decision, it has to be a heavy thing to process. I love the Great Lakes but if you're not up for the cold it can be brutal! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't under-estimate the value of good internet. With a landline and good internet, there are lots of legit job opportunities for extra money. Customer service and booking hotel rooms for a start.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Thank you one and all for the great feedback and suggestions. I personally LOVE the cold and change of seasons. Though raised in Hawai'i both parents were from very cold regions of their perspective countries Dad from New England, and Mom from the mountains of Ashio, Tochigi, Japan so I think I am genetically inclined to the cold. I LOVED living in the mountains of central Idaho. I used to wear shorts and tee shirt, and rubber slippers in the snow there. The locals there called me the "crazy Hawaiian". My wife on the other had cannot handle cold very well at all. Even wearing insulated boots she got frostbite in her toes though mild enough that she didn't lose any. I was looking at properties in Maine and was very impressed at the values available there but in reality I know my wife would not last one winter there and be miserable. Maui-like weather with winters into the low 40s high 30s probably her limit. I'm curious to see what I finally get after all the taxes, balance of mortgage, and realtor and escrow expenses paid off. This ordeal brought of the worst in some of my siblings permanently damaging my relationship with 3 of my 4 sisters. I can't believe how much people can change when large (to them) amounts of money gets in the picture. The sale of this property is an end of an era for my family. I can only look forward and hope for the best. Thanks again for all your support guys, you're the best! :D
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If I may, check out east Tennessee. Rare, v. rare for tornados, maybe bad thunderstorms if remnants of a hurricane makes it that far inland.

Winters will still get cold (but not Maine-cold!) and sometimes frost and flurries, but they go away quick.

Stay out of Nashville, Knoxville or Asheville, but the big cities are there if you want what in 'em
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do hope you find a place to settle. My Father and his family had issues over their Mother's estate, so I have seen something like what you are dealing with. You have my sympathy.
Let us all know where you and your wife decide to settle. The chance of you being close to at least one member on here is rather likely.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost