Second Moose in 2 years

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Second Moose in 2 years

Post by daisygordoninc »

Went to Windy Mountain Outfitters in BC, East of 100 Mile House again, I posted my last years moose.
I will try to post a pic of this year's moose I got on the 3rd of October. Chris Condie again guided us
on a 7 day hunt, I actually got him on the last day of the hunt. Used my Marlin 338 Express again, and
again 1 shot through the heart at about 125 yards. He dropped after walking away from me in about
20 yards, just after he was out of sight. Young bull, probably 2 1/2 years old, very even small rack, will
look good over my window in my home office. He was big for that age, well filled out, lots of eating,
don't know the weight yet, had to leave him there for processing. I walked up the side of a clear cut
about 500 yards up and came up over a flat, heard several cows calling, and suddenly three bulls one
to my left, one in front of me, and one to my right grunting in answer to them, all quite close. I saw
one large antlered bull walk into timber ahead of me about 100 yards and then turned to see the bull
on my right looking straight at me through some Aspen trees, I could see an antler on one side enough
to know for sure it was a bull. I could not get to a rest, I was wide open in grass so I had to take the
shot free standing. I was "blessed" with a heart shot and he did not get away. So fun.
IMG_0032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Second Moose in 2 years

Post by Blaine »

That's wonderful. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's cool...!

I'm betting a moose has LOTS of meat....is it more like bear, or elk, or what (taste-wise)...?

(...of course everyone knows you can only kill a moose with a 45-70, or a 300 Win Mag. 7mm Rem Mags nowhere near enough punch; as for any levergun cartridge below 45 caliber, no way.... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Last year I brought home 727 lbs of meat, (no bone). Anxious to get the weight on this one. Many people who have eaten
several types of wild game prefer moose over all. It is pretty fat free, and not strong at all. We love it. Fun to give it away
to friends and family.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CONGRATS!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Moose meat is hands down my favorite. I would turn down a $100 Kansas city steak house, steak for a chunk o moose meat. Hmmm.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Congratulations on another great hunt.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Moose be good eatin. Nice one, by the way.
Worst part of moose is dealing with em once the smoke clears. Its a job and a half.

Oh, and Doc, you missed one......
The Winchester 71 was MADE for moose. That's what I use for em. It's a regular Thor's hammer. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very healthy looking bull! Congratulations!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome!!, I have your Last years pic's on the fridge in the Man room Great Hunts. :D don't tell remlin about this as they have no clue what the .338 is capable of . Thanks for the post.Jim
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've only had moose a handfull of times , but each time it was quite tastey .

I've had a bit more Elk and Sika . And I have to say my preference is for Elk/Sika although the moose ranks a very very close second .

Congrats on two in a row !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I really did try to get my Winchester 71 ready for this hunt for moose, I agree it would be the
perfect moose gun. I could not get it sighted in where I wanted it in the short time I set aside
to work with it. Not sure, I think probably this winter I need to develop another load for it.
I love that gun. The 338 Marlin Express has sure performed well however, and probably reaches
just a little further. I feel comfortable out to 300 yards with the 338 Express, probably not
much beyond 225 with the Winchester 71.