Scout scope Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Scout scope Question

Post by fordwannabe »

As most of you are probably aware ( and tired of hearing about) I am having a takedown Marlin 1895 built. I am putting a scout scope with QD rings on it. I thought I had a Leuppld intermediate eye relief scope all lined up for it. Well when the scope showed up it is an Extended eye relief. Does anybody know if this will be ok in a scout scope setup. The scope and the gun have not been together yet, so I don't know. Help. Thanks in advance. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scout scope Question

Post by jeepnik »

Depends on what the eye relief range is, and just how far forward you are willing to mount it. I'd do a down and dirty attachment and see what you can do with regards to eye relief. If you find out it works you can put the effort into doing it right.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like my Leupold Scout Scope...I now have it on my Ruger GS Scout Rifle. It was originally on the 1895GS Guide Gun...
Here's a Duplex Reticle Hint: Sight it in dead on at 100, then shoot a group using the intersection of the heavy plex to the bottom. Measure the distance between the two groups and plug it into a program to see where the lower plex is dead on. Opens up lots of possibilities for a rainbow trajectory of the 45-70.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Tom,

I've tried the pistol (extended) eye relief before on a .35 Rem/ 336. It works but not as well as a true scout ( intermediate) E. R.
When mounted the pistol scope is like looking through a regular rifle scope when it's mounted too far forward and you don't get a clear sight picture. I ended up changing it out for a regular scout scope so it would be consistent with my others. I have Leupold, Vortex and Burris optics on my scout rifles and have been happy with all three but I do like the Leupold the best.

Can't wait to see yours all put together!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I use 2 of them, both Leupold. One on a M1A Socom, another on a Ruger GS. They work very well for me. Easy to get a sight picture and accurate.

I would recommend a scout scope, the eye relief places it into view better.

Don
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

EER scopes don't have a set eye relief, they have eye relief "windows" - some short, some long.

The "windows" are usually either 9"-17" or 11"-21" - within those parameters a sight picture can be had.(go online to check a prospective scope's tech specs)

I had an assistant (wifey-poo) actually measure (in inches) the distance from my sighting eye to the rear lens of a scope I had hanging around (held temporarily in place with duct tape) - while I held the rifle/scope combo in the shooting position.

Due to my personal ergonomics, I bought & successful used a 2x28 Weaver pistol (EER) scope with a 9"-17" eye relief window.

YMMV, depending upon individual arm length, neck length, and face/cheek fullness/thinness.

If one's personal eye distance is very near or outside the particular scope's eye relief window, then either a partial or a black sight picture will result.

If I were to mount a EER scope on a takedown rifle, I would obtain or make a mount base that adapts to the rear barrel sight dovetail, to ensure that the middle of the subject EER scope's eye relief window would end up at my particular eye distance.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
Leupold 2.5x......I shot a 21 x 40 over the weekend using a 1908 produced 1894 30-30 with cast bullets from 200-500 meters.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks all. Glad it was a successful trip.Jack. one ofnthese days I am going to make that trip with you.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.