Any ideas about shooting glasses?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
terreythompson
Levergunner

Any ideas about shooting glasses?

Post by terreythompson »

I'm a bit new to the shooting range experience. I've been out a few times with my Glock 19 and I was surprised to see people wearing protective gear. I think it's because I grew up around hunting rifles and me and my father would go out with our rifle and a bagged lunch and that was that. We didn't wear ear plugs or anything, we just went shooting.

Now that I'm getting older, I'm a lot more concerned about protecting myself and others, so I decided I'd look into getting some proper shooting gear. Now that I've got an Armalite AR and I plan on spending more time at the range, I'm looking to get some electronic ear muffs and shooting glasses.

I read this article that lists some recommendations (https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-shooting- ... rotection/) but I was hoping to gather some more information before settling on a pair. Anybody here have personal preferences when it comes to these? I was also wondering if any companies make ones that can be outfitted with prescription lenses of some sort. My eyesight's not what it used to be and I hate wearing contacts. Whenever I go to the range in my prescription glasses I think of A Christmas Story and “You'll shoot your eye out.” Any thoughts?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any ideas about shooting glasses?

Post by jeepnik »

For hearing protection I use noise canceling electronic muffs. They attenuate the noise yet allow, in some models, amplified hearing. The electronic muffs are great for the range, and I've found that, other than sometimes being hot and a bit sweaty, can amplify sound in the field.

For eye protection I need prescription lenses. I have a pair of Wiley X frames that are fitted with prescription safety lenses.

I pretty much ruined my hearing when I was young and stupid. The eyes, other than getting old have faired much better, and I intend to protect both.

One thing I've heard folks complain about is the cost of good ear protection and eye protection. Then they'll pick up a $3000 custom pistol and blast away.
Heck, you can always buy another pistol, not so with eyes and ears.

Oh, and what range were you on that allowed you there without eye and ear protection? Or did them lend you some, most do.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use my prescription safety glasses... and the molded ear plugs for hearing protection. When at a public range, it seems to be over populated with the loudenboomer types and I wear muffs over my ears, as well as the plugs. That way, their auditory testosterone compensation doesn't hurt my ears, and I don't have to bother with their questions about my rifles...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Simply go to your eye doctor and get a set of prescription safety glasses. Tell him what you need and he'll get 'em for you.

I got a pair of electronic ear muffs to try and got rid of them after one range session, my ears were ringing badly , took 3 or 4 days to go away. I just use regular ear muffs, along with plugs when things get too intense.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've tried several over the past 30 years, and the 'Howard Leight' (whoever the heck he is) ones I like by far the best in terms of clarity, comfort, and battery life.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18056 ... -nrr-22-db

The only hearing protection I like better is suppressors, but alas, our 'authorities' penalize us and make us pay a $200 fine for each one we dare to own. :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1 on the Howard Leight
I have a pair of Wiley X but they are a combat level pair and I protect them for PelosiHTF. Im going to get a pair of Smiths prescription soon.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

For my eyes I use a pair of safety glasses with my prescription worked in and I have a set of the Howard leight electronic ears.....and two suppressors. Hehe
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

For the last 20 plus years, I have been wearing Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses when shooting. When my Rx changes, I just send the frames and lenses to Decot, who grinds and installs the new lenses. Turn around time runs about 10-15 business days.

http://www.sportglasses.com/Default.asp
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have electronic earmuffs, and like them, but only when shooting handguns or spotting for someone. I can't stand them when shooting rifles as they interfere with my hold. Guess my friends are right, there's something wrong with my head. :?
I use EAR plugs for rifles. I get a good deal on them at work. :wink:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I still have my AF flight line ear plugs, the ones in the little bottle ya hung on your belt loop, no wonder my ears ring.
I sometimes use them or those forming things or sometimes just stick a couple 44 cases in my ears, tried 45-70 cases but makes me look like Frankenstein. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh.......we need a pic of that, bud!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Years ago I won a pair of Bolle Vigilante sun glasses at a cowboy shoot. They have wrap-around, interchangeable lenses in several colors and there is an insert available that clips in for prescription lenses. I've since bought replacements a couple of times and simply love them. I especially like the shape of the wrap-around lenses which give good protection from about any angle. An important thing in SASS matches as you sometimes take a few shot pellets from bounce back.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am I still have my AF flight line ear plugs, the ones in the little bottle ya hung on your belt loop, no wonder my ears ring.
I sometimes use them or those forming things or sometimes just stick a couple 44 cases in my ears, tried 45-70 cases but makes me look like Frankenstein. :lol:
I had forgotten all about those things, havent seen a set in about 45 years or so. :lol: I dont think they ever did much good except to keep guys from filing for disability from deafness. I remember seeing artillerymen trying to use cigarette filters.

Post pix of you using the 45-70 cases, cant wait to see them!!! :wink:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

It's pretty much personal choice; style, color, fit, etc. but any real safety glasses will do fine. I worked as a HD mechanic and was required to wear safety glasses so I got Rx safety glasses from my Optometrist. Ihe company I worked supplied safety glasses (from Grainger) and they also worked (I kept an extra pair in my shooting bag for loaners). I never liked ear muffs when shooting rifles and I found ear plugs, the ones with the "valve" worked quite well for me and worked for my .44 handguns too (although some loads and some short barrel guns I could have used a bit more protection, but none gave me "ringing ears"). Early ignorance with guns and working around heavy equipment have taken a toll on my hearing, but it's not really bad.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Air Force rifleman nut case. :lol:

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Now THATS priceless!

Frankenpitchy!

Just in time for Halloween, too. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm Now THATS priceless!
Frankenpitchy!
Jay,
What the hell is that wrench thingy hanging on the wall?--6
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm
OldWin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm Now THATS priceless!
Frankenpitchy!
Jay,
What the hell is that wrench thingy hanging on the wall?--6
That`s a helping hand wrench, now answer my pm. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A helping hand? Id say Pitchy need one less than most of us. He is one capable dude.
What I need is a helping brain wrench! :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 pm I've tried several over the past 30 years, and the 'Howard Leight' (whoever the heck he is) ones I like by far the best in terms of clarity, comfort, and battery life.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18056 ... -nrr-22-db

The only hearing protection I like better is suppressors, but alas, our 'authorities' penalize us and make us pay a $200 fine for each one we dare to own. :evil:
+1
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

When you purchase ear protection the most important thing to look for is how much they attenuate (decrease) noise. Muff type for pistols should at least attenuate 30 db. In fact for pistols ear plugs and muff types are probably the best. I worked as an aircraft mechanic starting in the late 60"s around the "screamers" of the day, 707 and Bac111 etc. I wore the company supplied muffs religiously but they only attenuated 25 db and those aircraft were in the 140-150 db range and as a result my hearing today is toast. When in doubt overprotect your hearing.