New TV help, please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

New TV help, please

Post by jnyork »

Our old TV is dated 1998 and the wife wants one of the new flat 54" models that hang on the wall or whatever, I know absolutely nothing about them and a study of Amazon leaves me stunned and befuddled.

What the hell is a "smart " TV and why do I need one? Am I smart enough for a smart TV? :D . I know some folks seem to have their computer hooked up to one somehow, what does that do for me?

Help a geezer out here, guys. :roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: New TV help, please

Post by Blaine »

I, too, am considering one.
I'm sure they go far beyond what I want to do.
I don't have and don't want a cable box, but I stream movies over the internet. So, a Smart TV will pick up the wifi so I can watch my NetFlix and other streamed shows in my living room in a comfortable recliner instead of my computer desk and poopy chair.
From what I've read, like I said, they do so much more than that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The term "smart TV" has come to denote any TV that can be connected to the internet to access streaming media services and that can run entertainment apps, such as on-demand video-rental services, internet music stations and web browsers.

Various apps, like for a smart phone, can be downloaded on the TV, so it can act like a smartphone, offering a number of "internet connected services" that normal televisions can't offer.
It has the equivalent of a computer built into it (w/o email or word processing), giving you a greater number of services.
These televisions offer apps, media streaming, web browsing, games and, perhaps most importantly, Internet Protocol Television (IPTV).
IPTV is a specific type of internet video standard, but is now also used as shorthand for any video streamed via the internet to your TV. It can take the form of short clips or continuous "live" channels.

A growing number of models now also include voice recognition tools, like Alexa, for switching channels and searching for programs.

Voice control and the integration of smart home features mean that TV manufacturers will be working to integrate their sets to interact with things like lights, door locks, thermostats, and other sensors.

Smart TV's use either a wired Ethernet connection or built-in Wi-Fi to connect to a home network for internet access.

Most models today have built-in Wi-Fi, but check that it does before you buy.
For streaming movies, some sets support the latest and fastest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard.(a Wi-Fi router that supports 802.11ac will be needed)

If you plan on cutting the cord, a faster Wi-Fi hookup will help.

Is a smart TV needed ? - probably not, especially if one doesn't pursue those features.

Is a smart TV wanted ? - that's a personal decision.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well that's answered a few questions I too wanted to know.... :P
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know someone that bought a BIG tv, like 70", he decided that he was going to do the hook up himself. But now he has 4 remotes, tv,sound,cable box and dvd. Biggest problem is the tv has a mind of its own! Changes channels by itself- for no reason!
He finally got someone that knew what they were doing to do the set up again and all seems ok now.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 am I know someone that bought a BIG tv, like 70", he decided that he was going to do the hook up himself. But now he has 4 remotes, tv,sound,cable box and dvd. Biggest problem is the tv has a mind of its own! Changes channels by itself- for no reason!
He finally got someone that knew what they were doing to do the set up again and all seems ok now.
The Geeks and Nerds that design entertainment systems and the remote controls should be flogged and soaked in salt water. :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

remember to put black tape over the camera..... yes, really.

don't know what to do about the microphone, yes someone is probably listening . . .

there is a newer way to spy on us that has to do with high sound frequencies above our hearing level. don't know how to filter that either.