Tang peep on 73 or 92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Tang peep on 73 or 92?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had a number of these over the years, but never mounted one on a Winchester 73 or 92 clone. Do they get in the way? I ask because I happened to glimpse a Hickock45 Youtube on the Winchester 73 and he wasn't even wrapping his thumb around the wrist of the rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Tang peep on 73 or 92?

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:45 amI have had a number of these over the years, but never mounted one on a Winchester 73 or 92 clone. Do they get in the way? I ask because I happened to glimpse a Hickock45 Youtube on the Winchester 73 and he wasn't even wrapping his thumb around the wrist of the rifle.
I don't have a tang peep on any of my '73s or '92, but do have one on my 1885 in 45 Colt. And don't wrap my thumb over the upper tang on any of them. Recoil is not enough to need that tiny bit of control... I have a tang peep on two of my favorite .30-30 mdl 94 Winchesters, and don't wrap my thumb over the top on either of them! Again, recoil is not sufficient enough to warrant it. I can get enough grip just laying my thumb alongside it to disturb the sight picture! :o :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Yes, they get in the way. But, no, they don't affect anything. You get used to it quickly and find the thumb-wrap is not at all necessary.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have one on a 53 (.32-20), which is a 92 action.
I hate it.
Very accurate, but just can't get used to it.
Probably going to take it off and replace it with a receiver sight.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Lyman #2 tang sight that Old Savage sold me (years ago - Thanks, Fred !) was for a Model 92, but I put it on a TE .375 BB94.

I could easily wrap my thumb over it's base, because the sight body/hinge was placed near the very front of a 2-1/2"-3" long base - which left most of the wrist of the stock open for grasping.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've had a new marble's on dad's old m92 25/20 for a couple of years now. I like it, especially since I had about quit even trying to shoot the rifle with the original open sights. I hadn't noticed the sight giving me any crimp in my grip style, so I got it out and took a picture pretending to grip it the way I would shoot it (if I were going to shoot left handed anyway; I could grip the rifle left-handed but couldn't work the camera left handed!)

Just doesn't seem to be any big problem.
m92grip9403.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have had a Marbles tang sight on a 1951 94 Winchester 30wcf since 1958 and it has not made any problems carrying it or shooting with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Get in the way? Well, they don't get in my way. Aside from the Winchester '95's, all my leverguns wear a Marbles tang sight:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, you are so fortunate to have your dad's old 92. Shasta, that's a heck of a lineup of tang-sighted lever guns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Marbles tang sights on my 73, 92, 1886, pump 22, Remington Roller, I'm probably leaving something out. I don't wrap my thumb over on nearly any rifle as it is slower, especially if you're levering in follow up shots. We do that a lot in cowboy action.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Any sight other than a tang sight on a 73 is like putting ghetto wheels on a Lamborghini. It's all I use on any lever gun except Model 71's and 1895's.......but I have done that on 95's...long story.

I run my thumb along the tang....been doing it so long it's second nature for me.

As for clones, well, don't know if they are d&t 'ed.....that's like putting a suit on a monkey----6
Model A Uzi’s