"UN"-Cocking a Firearm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

"UN"-Cocking a Firearm

Post by Blaine »

I love hammers, but un-cocking them make me nervous. I'll unload first or put my finger in the way. You? :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: "UN"-Cocking a Firearm

Post by AJMD429 »

That's why I actually LIKE the well-done safety on Marlin leverguns (but dislike the poorly-done one on Rossi's).

Once I have un-cocked a gun a few hundred times in practice, I just use my thumb to control the hammer, plus of course 'a safe backstop'.
At first, I do sometimes 'back up' things with a finger from the other hand in front of the hammer.

I still don't like striker-fired pistols that are already 'pre-cocked'; too little control over what is going on. Crazy I know, but that's just me... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I like hammer guns much more than striker fired, but decocking an exposed hammer doesn't bother me after getting my first 1911A1 in 1970.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Paladin wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 pm I like hammer guns much more than striker fired, but decocking an exposed hammer doesn't bother me after getting my first 1911A1 in 1970.
I don't own any striker fired guns... and other than a couple of hammerless side-by-sides, and 2 Rem 700s and an 870, everything has and exposed hammer. I have had a hammer slip a time or two (in 40+ years), never when loaded... but it sure serves as reminder to keep pointed in a safe direction!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pmI love hammers, but un-cocking them makes me nervous.
Try it on a rolling block. They have rather heavy hammer springs. It's really fun when you want to see if your reloads will let the breech forward all the way. The only way to test it is to lower the hammer on the live chamber. I do wish the gun maker had put the firing pin retainer screw on top of the breech block. It's on the side and can only be removed by disassembling the action (which admittedly doesn't take too long). The hammer spur is huge, so I hook my thumb around the base of it and grip the nose of the hammer with the thumb and forefinger of the offhand while keeping the muzzle pointing in a (relatively) safe direction (I live in a city).
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I like hammer guns. Got my first one in about 1948, a Stevens single barrel 20 gauge. My second one was a Winchester 1892 rifle in 32wcf in 1953. Never had a problem with any hammer gun really.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Plainsman
Levergunner

Post by Plainsman »

Hammers are a necessity imho! I still find it weird not seeing one on my Ruger 22/45.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

On my saa, I'll ease the hammer down. Anything else my finger is between the hammer and frame. 57 years without an accident and I'm not looking forward to the 1st time.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Purchase some cheap key blanks. The wide end works well to block the hammer if your thumb should slip.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I recently acquired a unfired old USSR Toz 66 (Baikal) d/b hammer 12 gauge, the mainsprings are let's say pretty tough, uncocking the beast does require concentration... :shock: but I love it... :D
Over the years I have had more hammer guns than any other type, I much prefer them although uncocking, especially with cold wet hands does make you keep the thing pointed in a safe direction.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A touchy subject for me.

I admit it, I was trying to "un-cock" my Trapper after hunting on a particularly humid evening and...

Now... I put a digit in front of the hammer.

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I may have had some glitches when a kid just starting out, but dont recall any problems since. I started shooting single action 22s at about 11 yrs old, before Ruger came out with the transfer bar models. No idea how many tens of thousands of rds through the cheap german made single action 22, then the Single Six I got a little later. I also had an old model 357 Blackhawk by about age 13. I dont feel any hesitation handling old model single actions, lever actions or 1911s, though there isnt any good reason to lower a hammer on a loaded 1911. If you dont want it cocked and locked there shouldnt be a round in the chamber. About the only hammer gun that gives me pause if I have to lower the hammer when loaded is earlier type Smith revolvers with the odd hump shaped hammer spurs with very fine, not very sharp checkering on the hammer spur. The post-war hammers are a huge improvement. Never felt the desire to put a finger or anything in front of a hammer.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like piller's key blank idea.....

The most difficult firearm that I've ever had to un-cock was a loaded Colt DS that somebody had cut the hammer spur from (in addition to removing the front of the triggerguard, ala "Fitzgerald Special"), and serrated the hammer top so it could be grasped for cocking a SA shot.

I had cocked it for the anticipated SA shot that disappeared, but the hammer's built-in firing pin precluded the insertion of a finger in front of the hammer during un-cocking. :shock:

I ended using a small drill bit for a substitute finger, and got 'er done.

I won't ever do THAT again........... :roll:

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never had an issue with "un" cocking a firearm with a hammer. I was just taught to pay attention to what I was doing and make sure I had a handle (pun for Blaine) on the situation. I haven't had one slip yet. But just in case I do follow that little rule about where the muzzle is pointed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have only two handguns that are striker fired, three in you count my Ruger MkII and like jeepnik I've not had any OOPS when decocking a hammer fired gun, rifle or handgun. My semi-auto handguns have hammers as well as my revolvers and I don't remember cocking a 1911 hammer by hand or needing to decock one, if for some reason I need to decock my 1911 I'll drop the mag, eject the round in the chamber then snap the hammer on an empty chambe (my Ruger P90 has a decocking feature). I'm just extra conscious of a live primer/cartridge is under that hammer and I'm extra careful, with the muzzle pointed downrange. FWIW I try to never be put into that situation either...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My only "real" problem is this little S&W 317 AirLite .22. It has a little tiny hammer nub and very stiff springs. It's so bad that I only practice with it double action. Years ago it was my very first EDC and I didn't worry too much about hitting anything smaller than a paper plate at 10 feet or so. I figgered with a .22 the only option was to empty the cyl into the bad guy's chest.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've been playing with single action Colts, Rugers, and hammer leverguns for so long it's second nature to me. It's so ingrained into me that a few years ago a buddy of mine pulled a single action Ruger and was going to dispatch something he was not allowed to dispatch when I instinctually threw my hand between the hammer and the frame. -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a 'new-shooter' course I go through when I have someone who hasn't shot guns who wants to get comfortable with them.

I start with a 22 LR levergun (traditional) with an integral suppressor (ooh...scary...) and a holographic sight (non-traditional).

Then I escalate to other rifles, then handguns, and various power levels, concluding with a Redhawk 44 Mag and M1A in 308. The 'course' takes about four hours, and they love the 'empowerment' they feel going from never having shot a BB gun, to hitting a 5 gallon can at 50 yards with a 44 Mag and 308.

Anyway, I use handguns in 22 LR - a Ruger Single Six for the SA example, a Charter Pathfinder for the DA example, and a Ruger Mk-II for the semiauto example.

When I get to the Single Six, I have them de-cock the unloaded weapon several times just to show them how the mechanism works. (I actually have them handle and 'shoot' each gun unloaded first, then I fire it so they get a feel for the noise and so on, then finally, THEY fire it). Anyway, even though at my 'only-us' range, they are extremely unlikely to have to de-cock a cocked single-action, I want them to know how to do it. It is very intimidating, even with the 'transfer-bar' safeties and so on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:53 pm I have a 'new-shooter' course I go through when I have someone who hasn't shot guns who wants to get comfortable with them.

I start with a 22 LR levergun (traditional) with an integral suppressor (ooh...scary...) and a holographic sight (non-traditional).

Then I escalate to other rifles, then handguns, and various power levels, concluding with a Redhawk 44 Mag and M1A in 308. The 'course' takes about four hours, and they love the 'empowerment' they feel going from never having shot a BB gun, to hitting a 5 gallon can at 50 yards with a 44 Mag and 308.

Anyway, I use handguns in 22 LR - a Ruger Single Six for the SA example, a Charter Pathfinder for the DA example, and a Ruger Mk-II for the semiauto example.

When I get to the Single Six, I have them de-cock the unloaded weapon several times just to show them how the mechanism works. (I actually have them handle and 'shoot' each gun unloaded first, then I fire it so they get a feel for the noise and so on, then finally, THEY fire it). Anyway, even though at my 'only-us' range, they are extremely unlikely to have to de-cock a cocked single-action, I want them to know how to do it. It is very intimidating, even with the 'transfer-bar' safeties and so on.
This is not a jab at anybody, but I hope I never get "comfortable" around firearms. It's good to have that little edge of hyper-vigilance....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even being hyper vigilant is not 100% safe from accidents, but it certainly beats getting injured or injuring someone else. So far my luck is holding, and I see no point in trying to find out if I can get away with carelessness. Heck, even Mauser lost an eye due to an accident. I doubt if he was careless. Caution can keep you healthy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm I love hammers, but un-cocking them make me nervous. I'll unload first or put my finger in the way. You? :idea:
The finger thing.
Unless the hammer is driving nails.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hyper vigilance causes nervousness which causes accidents.

Being too comfortable causes complacency which causes accidents.

Just pay attention to what you are doing, and think about what you are doing and you have a much greater chance of not having an accident.

Anyway, that's what I was taught and so far it seems to be working out okay.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm
I love hammers, but put my finger in the way. You? :idea:

I've also put a finger in harm's way - usually when driving small nails/brads. ;)

:mrgreen:

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 pm Just pay attention to what you are doing, and think about what you are doing and you have a much greater chance of not having an accident.
Generally speak, it's true.

But sometimes... it happens anyway.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 am .

I like piller's key blank idea.....

The most difficult firearm that I've ever had to un-cock was a loaded Colt DS that somebody had cut the hammer spur from (in addition to removing the front of the triggerguard, ala "Fitzgerald Special"), and serrated the hammer top so it could be grasped for cocking a SA shot.

I had cocked it for the anticipated SA shot that disappeared, but the hammer's built-in firing pin precluded the insertion of a finger in front of the hammer during un-cocking. :shock:

I ended using a small drill bit for a substitute finger, and got 'er done.

I won't ever do THAT again........... :roll:

.Pete44ru, Is that Colt a Dick Special or a Cobra. My Cobra, it's in my pocket right now, has that same Tyler T and bobbed hammer but the trigger guard is intact. I've never tried to un-cock it. I bobbed the hammer when I first bought it and have never regretted it. Course it wasn't worth a grand back then.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 am
BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm
I love hammers, but put my finger in the way. You? :idea:

I've also put a finger in harm's way - usually when driving small nails/brads. ;)

:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice edit.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

When i first started shooting revolvers 25 years or so ago, an older gentleman who by his age probably crossed the Red Sea with dry feet, knew Sam Colt personally, etc taught me the safer way to decock a pistol than the shooting hand thumb method i used was to pinch the hammer between thumb and index finger of the offhand.

Ive been shooting Glocks and M16s since the 90s sp a lack of hammer doesnt bother me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 am
.Pete44ru, Is that Colt a Dick Special or a Cobra. My Cobra, it's in my pocket right now, has that same Tyler T and bobbed hammer but the trigger guard is intact. I've never tried to un-cock it. I bobbed the hammer when I first bought it and have never regretted it. Course it wasn't worth a grand back then.

It was an older model (1950's) DS - I've never owned a Cobra.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not every exposed hammer gun can be unloaded prior to lowering the hammer! Some require the hammer to be down just to open the action. So the real solution is always the same....make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction when handling it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/