October 2017 Leverguns Postal Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

October 2017 Leverguns Postal Match

Post by Griff »

I'm offering a little something different for October.

This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot.

You can submit either a picture or a scanned image. Must include a description or photo of your equipment & load in your submission post. See rule #7... if we don't know who you are, you can't win... October 1 - 31.

BASIC Rules: - let's keep it simple -

1. Repeating Lever-action rifle, center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal).
(a) Repeating Lever-action Rifle, center-fire Rimmed "RIFLE" cartridge. (.25 - .45 cal. with FN bullets appropriate to tube magazines. Need not be tube magazine rifle).
2. Shot in the free standing position. (unsupported)
3. Iron sights or tang sights ONLY - no fancy stuff - scopes etc.
4. Target - See below:
5. 1+ Shot(s) only
6. 50 yards (ish)
7. Image of target and with name and date written on target posted for consideration, Include description of rifle & load.
8. A maximum of 4 targets submitted for each Calendar month. (For both firearms... if submitting under pistol and rifle cartridge categories - NOT 4 each - let's not over-work the judges).
9. Your highest score counts.
10. Winner posted at the beginning of the next Calendar month.
11. Open to all members of the forum as of October 1st, 2017.

Approved target:

Scoring: CUT the rope in the fewest shots by caliber. Tie breaker decided by the cut closest to, without touching the knot!

Good luck and get out there and get shooting!!! This will be my last month playing "admin" for the match. Unless participation improves. (think: the floggings will continue until morale improves)! If you don't like the match... Don't make us do a military "volunteer", step on up and be recognized!
Noose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: October 2017 Leverguns Postal Match

Post by Merle »

HMMM, when I save it - I can't open the file..... :(
Merle from PA
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I could not get it to work either. I really like the target, thanks for running another match Griff!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I 'right-clicked' on the picture and saved it as noose.jpg in my pictures album on the hard-drive. When I went to that folder, I again right-clicked on the image and selected "print". Printed out just fine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Griff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm I 'right-clicked' on the picture and saved it as noose.jpg in my pictures album on the hard-drive. When I went to that folder, I again right-clicked on the image and selected "print". Printed out just fine.

I did the same thing, but it would not open......
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay, I added the target as an attachment. can someone try printing it off from that?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

I did get it to print both ways---I measured the rope and it's 3/4" diameter, is that the correct size? In order to get the part with the name line to print, I have to use legal size.

Thanks,

Jon.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It should be right at ½". But anyway that everyone can print it out and have come out the right size should be fine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Kind of figured it should be at 1/2" when you mentioned one shot out of the 50. The resolution on the print is better from the one in the text than the attachment, but both print at 3/4". I'm no techie, so I have no idea how to resize mine.

Thanks again Griff, I'll wait to see what size others turn out.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:06 pm Kind of figured it should be at 1/2" when you mentioned one shot out of the 50. The resolution on the print is better from the one in the text than the attachment, but both print at 3/4". I'm no techie, so I have no idea how to resize mine.

Thanks again Griff, I'll wait to see what size others turn out.
If anyone can't print it out so it turns out as a full page print, (8x10), PM me an email address and I'll send out the file I use. Meanwhile, when I get back to work and can use my regular printer, I'll experiment some more and find a good attachment that anyone can print it out from.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Did my duty [...doody?...] writing legislaturds yesterday, (when weather was nice out :evil: ) so got to play a bit today (nasty out])...

It's a good thing an innocent life wasn't at stake....! :oops:
20171015_184908_HDR-1.jpg
I put a 'regular' target behind the noose one just to see how I would do...I think the 'stress' of trying to aim for that skinny little rope helped...(from The Patriot - "...aim small, miss small...")
20171015_185209-1.jpg
Rossi 92 in 357 Mag, 24" octagonal with Lyman Globe front, Taurus tang rear. American Eagle 158 grain JSP.

The bad thing is that two previous targets were worse.....so Hangman 29 : Me 1 :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc,

I'm truly impressed. At first I thought you musta been usin' that Big Horn Armory to cut the whole rope in one shot... then realized it was a reduced target size! I like the "stick-to-it-ness" to continue till successful, and the practicality to quit while you're ahead! And yes, that "aim small, miss small" homily is truly accurate! (Pun intended). :D Under last months rules, that would have been scored as a 96! Truly impressive shooting. 8) And... well, for this month... let it suffice to say, so far, you're in 1st place! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

-
Still didn't figure out how to 'size' the rope one right, but HAD FUN anyway, which is the point. Note I didn't submit the first two 'attempts' done with the 24" rifle, as NONE of the bullets hit the rope with either of those.

I got out the 20" one (pre-safety Rossi with Williams FP 'ghost-ringed' and original factory front sight) out, and managed to get eight shots on the paper, and the last one nicked (didn't "cut") the rope. Even though only eight shots show up, it was the tenth, as two missed paper entirely.
Rossi 357 Mid-Length.jpg

Then I got out the 16" stainless Rossi with Marbles Bullseye rear and factory front. All shots on paper, at least...!
Rossi 357 Shorty.jpg
I hope more people enter targets. Maybe everyone is busy doing their fall chores.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

sadly I am out of this one - I can't see the rope from that far back.... :(
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Merle wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm sadly I am out of this one - I can't see the rope from that far back.... :(
I just aimed at the center of the paper, and figured eventually one would hit the rope; had to use binoculars to see if they hit the rope (actually, had to use 'em to even see the bullet holes at all....

ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Merle, if you are printing it in color, try black and white, it may show up better.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am Merle, if you are printing it in color, try black and white, it may show up better.
Thanks, but I already tried that.
My eyes aren't very good anymore..... :(
Merle from PA
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Late, but under the wire entry for humor's sake. Shot it last night in the wild Wyoming wind----my meter said 23mph sustained and 45mph gusts. I was happy to keep them all on paper, except one---and maybe the 21st shot counts as a cut....HA!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was going to post last nite that AJMD429 had the winning entry, but see that an 11th hour entry by ywatlzucanknurl has rendered that announcement obsolete!

Nicely done, those wadcutters make neat holes.

I appreciate the entries... but, it appears it has run its course. Sure wish I was home enough to have entered more. With no one volunteering to take on the administration, I guess we're done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!