Old 22 rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Old 22 rifles

Post by gcs »

My father had an old 22 single shot 22, like 40's vintage, can't remember who made it but it could have been Winchester. That gun was very accurate and we all learned on it, Have no idea were it went.
I have a Marlin auto 22 thats a pain to load one at a time, and thats how I usually use it for dispatching coons and whatnot.The Marlin also refuses to fire about every 4 rounds, It's been taken apart, cleaned, etc but same thing, I doubt it's the ammo, the stuff I'm using is 60's vintage Rem target rounds that go bang for everybody else, but I digress, lol
So anyone have a recommendation on an old single shot 22 of any manufacturer that you recommend? There were jillions made and I suspect not too expensive, which would work for me, :)
Thanks.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old 22 rifles

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest a new ($175) Chiappa Little Badger break-open: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... Rifle+Brea

FWIW, I've had excellent results with my new .22MAg/.410 Chiappa Double Badger folding combination gun (also available with a LR rifle barrel and/or a 20ga shot bbl) these past 2 years.

Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

I have a little bolt action single shot Voere (German made) that is a pleasure to carry and shoot. They're a scaled down Mauser action.
Toz also made quality bolt action single shot 22.lr rifles.
More meplat, more better.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's so many good ones out there it would be difficult to narrow it down to just one.

Not a single shot but a used Savage MKII can be had for around $100 or so. We have four of them in different versions, from a $130 Walmart special to a much more expensive heavy barrel target model. My favorite a the short barreled MK-FV ( i think). They're all real tack drivers and work perfectly. My favorite single shot is an old Martini worked over by WW Greener. That one has accounted for a pile of rabbits and other critters, worth it if you want to spend a couple hundred.

Pete,

Where did you get the sling/ stock cover? That's really sharp!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Pete, that double badger is a neat rig, hows the accuracy?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Since you said old single shot, I would suggest looking for a Stevens crackshot. It's a falling block so it will be easy to load and fire with LR, L, S, CB, shot, etc. they were made up into this century so there should be some reliable ones on the used market
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I received the sling as a gift, but IDK who made it.

Here's a 25yd target I posted awhile back, in which I was comparing the POI of the (.22WRM) rifle barrel with 4 ought buckshot from the .410 barrel (for close range Red Fox/Coyotes).

A target gun it's not, but IMO is accurate enough at the close ranges Fox/'Yote's come into my predator calling. (I call them in fairly close, but not tight, cover)

This gun's POI is slightly higher (4"-6") than the POA, but holding a tad under at these close ranges is N.P. - and I get a better sighting view of the targeted animal.

I actually prefer this Chiappa to the myriad Savage/Stevens Model 24's I've owned/hunted over the past 40-odd years.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:01 pm There's so many good ones out there it would be difficult to narrow it down to just one
Could not have been said better....Semi autos do work best with hi-vel ammo...try that......in dozens of .22's I've owned or shot have been functional with CCI mini mags along with accuracy.

Just look at online catalogs and buy what suits your fancy.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I learned to shoot with my Grandfathers Model 33 Remington single shot.
Due to family complications, I was not able to Aquire that rifle when Grandad passed away.
HOWEVER, I now own two Remington Model 33's and really enjoy shooting them.
Another interesting thing about the 33 is just how similar it is in so many ways to the Australian made Lithgow Model 1.
Lots of nostalgia there.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Pop Watts wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 am I learned to shoot with my Grandfathers Model 33 Remington single shot.
Due to family complications, I was not able to Aquire that rifle when Grandad passed away.
HOWEVER, I now own two Remington Model 33's and really enjoy shooting them.
Another interesting thing about the 33 is just how similar it is in so many ways to the Australian made Lithgow Model 1.
Lots of nostalgia there.

I still have my grandpa's old Remington 33. Still shoots as accurately as any of my modern .22's.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have my grandpa's Stevens Marksman .. single shot .22 break open. He bought it in the early 1900's and used it all his life on the farm to slaughter hogs, cows and dispatch feral dogs, shoot groundhogs etc. After his death I got it from my grandma. I have left it to my first grandson.

The gun has a Pope-rifled barrel and is very accurate. Using .22 shorts I have shot pigeons at 50 to 70 yards off the barn roof.

This action is pretty strong. I had a very beat up one that I rebarreled with a Mossberg barrel and rechambered to .22 Magnum. My daughter used it to kill Javelina.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The classic old single shot: Winchester 67. Find them at your local gunshow for around 200 bucks in good shape.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Single shot .22 rifles were made by the millions. Today, rifles that originally sold for as little as $5.00 are seen as highly collectable and bring big bux. Bolt action single shots made by a dozen or more various makers can still be found reasonable priced and are usually great shooters if their bores are not rotted out. Visit your local dealers and Ask. They often have a couple collecting dust in the back room due to limited display space.
I found a like new little Remington single shot at a flea market. It was in a hand tooled scabbard and he wanted big money for the pair. I talked him into selling me just the rifle for $40.00. He thought The scabbard was worth twice what the rifle was and I got a great little rifle cheap.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What I can't figure out is why no one reintroduces something like the Winchester 67. Perhaps manufacturing costs. I have mine that I received on my 10th birthday. What's interesting is apparently these were discontinued that year. Since it has no serial number I doubt it could be dated.

But, a simple single shot .22 lr rifle sized for an adult as mine is (apparently I did grow into it :D ) and is as accurate as mine is would appeal to quite a few I think. I've take critters up to the size of our desert coyotes with it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you want one that looks and functions like the old ones, but is much newer; take a look at the newer Savage built Stevens Model 30 Favorite. It's a pretty exacting copy of the old, but cheaper, and can be found new or like new easily. Here's one on GB in .22 Mag:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712717023

Another dandy is the Stevens 66 in .22lR:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/708740795
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got my grandfather's old Ranger M34 (Sears) single shot bolt. Every now and then I see one at a gun show for $40 to $60.

You can do a lot of searching to save 20 or 40 bucks, though. One of the Savage MK II rifles mentioned above would be easier to find. Removable magazine fed, but eats shorts, longs, OR, CB caps, rat shot. . . And you can mount a scope or red dot if you need to.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Check the local pawnshops as well. Many in my area list on Armslist, that can help narrow the search. Any of the bolt action repeaters, box or tube fed, can also be easily loaded single shot. Probably why the single shots went away. Cost almost as much to build as the repeaters. I paid $30 for my Remington 511X new in around 1966. The 510 single shot version was only $4 less. I also have one of the new continuation of production Stevens Crackshots. Very nice finish and wood for I think about $150 in the late '80s. The trigger was pretty rough and needed some cleaning up but it was pretty easy to fix.

Post by Pete44ru »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm What I can't figure out is why no one reintroduces something like the Winchester 67. Perhaps manufacturing costs. .

Adult-sized single-shot.22's are still available - I bought two, one for each new Grandson.

A Boy Scout commemorative T/C HotShot, and a Stevens Model 71 Favorite.

I almost bought, but passed on, a Savage Rascal for them.................

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have one one the later Steven's Favorites in .22 Mag. It sure is a quick handling little rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the Varner Steven favorite replicas and I would say that they are great little guns
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

An old Winchester 67 is hard to beat for general 'round the place pest gun. The Stevens Favorite was the first rifle I ever hunted with, but they tend to be priced quite high. The newer production modern ones just don't have the same feel to them as the old ones. Remington made a 500 series singleshot, don't recall the exact model but they were a sweet old rifle as well.

Rich Hoch gave me an old cut down 67 with a scope on it. The safety is missing to accommodate the scope. It won't group worth beans - but is first shot accurate out to any reasonable distance. Way back when it was put to good purpose to teach the kids proper shooting with a scope, and also to put down the occasional muskrat, prairie dog, etc. Even with the cut down stock it works fine, just snuggle it into my collar bone instead of the shoulder pocket. Anyway, the 67 has become by far my favorite old singleshot 22, in the original long barrel, the youth model or the Rich Hoch cut down kid gun.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

When I was young(a long time ago!) I had a Winchester 67.What I could do with that rifle when I had good eyes was absolutely amazing.Great rifle and they are available from time to time.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

765x53 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 am Don't forget Henry. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/
You know, I was going to buy one of those when my girls were learning age. Couldn't find one anywhere and didn't want to order one sight unseen.
I ended up getting them a Crickett rifle. It was surprisingly accurate with it's peep sight. I even used it to shoot some MT prairie dogs. But, the extractor kept falling off. I was lucky to find it each time. Crickett tried to make it right by sending UPS to pick up the gun, but UPS kept coming while I was at work. They should have sent me a return label and let me send it to them, but they tried at least.

The girls quickly outgrew that rifle anyway and I got them a Savage MK II which served them well. I still have it as neither of them live in an area where they can use it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I had thought about the Cricket but read a few too many stories regarding the quality so I went with the CZ 452 Scout. It's a good size for a 10 - 12 year old but the bolt is a bit stiff. Quality is good but they transitioned to a newer design with the 455 models. I figured they were cost cutting so I wanted a 452 before they vanished.

I learned on my father's Remington 511 but I needed a short stock for her so that was out. That 511 is still one of my favorite rifles. Having used it extensively as a kid, I can shoulder it and bring it on target like no other gun I possess today.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have a very old bolt action single shot that belonged to my grandfather, it was made for
sears. Very cheap, still shoots well, I used it to kill so many birds only God would know how
many. Blue Jays were in our orchards by the score, they had a bounty on them, took the
tails to boys scouts, got 25 cents for them. They were into the filbert orchards I think.
Anyway I killed many of them with that old single shot, it shot very straight, still does to
this day, it's a treasure of mine. We never cleaned it every, I must have shot it several
thousand times. When my grandpa got old he gave it to me, I will give it to someone in
my family. I have already given my Grandpa Johnson's Marlin 32 SP to a younger family
member, two generations below me. So fun.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

For fun, a savage-stevens favorite. For scoped rifle accuracy, a Remington Model 510.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

ANY 22 rifle is the perfect 22 if ya ask me! I have about a dozen or more, Rugers, Remington's, Savage Stevens, 1Winchester, etc, nothing more fun then playing with a 22! Find something you like and get to testing ammo to find what works best.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My favorite 22 L.R.single shot....Winchester low wall, special order 28" barrel with set trigger and original 36" Stevens scope....letters to 1909.... minute of beer can out to 150...easily.----6

Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Amazing rifle. Perhaps a tad nose heavy ... but I would still love to shoot something like that. A set trigger on a 22, plus that uber long scope ... high tech at the time.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm Image
Is that a brass .410 shell I see...?

Been looking for some so long I forget what my project with them was... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Doc, I read somewhere (prolly on the Internet) that 444 Marlin brass makes good 410 shells. Been meaning to try it, but bought a MEC Reloader for 2-1/2 and 3" shells. Had to buy brand new..everyone wanted new price for their old ones..glad I did at the price of new ammo!!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Les Staley wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm Doc, I read somewhere (prolly on the Internet) that 444 Marlin brass makes good 410 shells. Been meaning to try it, but bought a MEC Reloader for 2-1/2 and 3" shells. Had to buy brand new..everyone wanted new price for their old ones..glad I did at the price of new ammo!!
Brass .410 shells? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/MagTec ... o/3924165/