Another Miroku for me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Another Miroku for me

Post by HawkCreek »

First the good stuff (pictures)

Still has the sleeve for the box!
20170929_213322.jpg
SRC's are a personal weakness of mine...
20170929_213256.jpg
That's right it's a .30-40!
20170929_212840.jpg
So this came up for auction and I just had to have it. I got a Miroku 1895 SRC in .30-06 a few years ago and fell in love. I've been wanting another in .30-40 for quite some time so I jumped at this one when it showed up. Looks brand new in box to me, almost a shame to shoot it but it will be a user not a safe queen. Now I'll have to order another Pattern 21 sight from Buffalo Arms. I reckon I should order some brass from Grafs also since I only have two boxes of Remington 180 grain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Another Miroku for me

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow, great find :mrgreen: congratulations :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!! The '95, especially the SRC will always be my favorite Winchester.

Bet one is going to be really fun to shoot!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I bought one of those 95 mirokus when they fist came out and love it.I also have a Browning 86 carbine as well ,great guns
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have never owned a 95. That said, the one I would love to have is a SRC in 30-40.
Good score!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Great choice !

Once upon a time, I had a new .30-06 Miroku 1895, but foolishly sold it so I could buy a new 1895 in .405 Winchester...........

Big mistake !

As nice (and as accurate) as the .405 was, given where & what I usually hunt, it really had no use for me, outside of target shooting.

I'm still kicking myself for not just throwing a bolt peepsight on the .30-06, like I later did on the .405 (on which I mounted an XS peep on the flat rear half of the bolt top).

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The 95 carbines in 303 british were very popular here in Canada. I wish Winchester would make another run of the 95 srcs in 303 I would buy one in a heart beat
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I bought one in 270 about 17 years ago after watching it keep coming up for auction on Gunbroker for several months. It is a tack driver and pleasant to shoot after I installed a recoil pad and peep sight. I have always liked the quality of the Miroku guns so much so I bought a 1886 lightweight and a 1892 short rifle in 44 magnum. I had to make a different butt stock for the 1892 to do away with that crescent butt plate which was murder on my shoulder.

I looked at the 30-06 carbine when it came out but never bought one congratulation on your purchase.

Mike
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s a pic of mine

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Good choice! As Whelen wrote 100 years ago: "I regard the .30-40 cartridge as the most useful and all around successful cartridge ever made for the American sportsman."
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Thanks everyone, I am excited bout this one. My 30-06 has shown a lot of accuracy potential and hopefully this new 30-40 will be just as good.

I really like that picture Barbossa, hopefully I'll be able to take one like that in the next few years.

I'm a bit of a Whelen fan but I've never read that quote before, thanks KWK. If parts were easier to come by I'd like to rework a barrel band like a deluxe with the sling stud and attach a Whelen sling to one of my 95's.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! I'd love to have a '95 and to me .30-40 seems to be the classic round for that platform. The range officer at our local range recently bought a Krag and has been looking for ammo for a while.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I have one of the Browning rifles in 30-40. I wish I had one of the carbines also. My rifle is very accurate and the 30-40 is terrific as a cast bullet cartridge. That long neck holds a cast very well. I haven't shot mine in a while but your post got my juices flowing again and I will have to remedy that. I'm sort of a Miroku nut too; an early B-92, an 1873, two 86s (rifle and LW), two 95s (30-40 and 405), two B-71s (rifle and carbine).
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

HawkCreek wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pmI'm a bit of a Whelen fan but I've never read that quote before, thanks KWK.
You can find it here, in The American Rifle, which was published during WW-I. His praise is all the more impressive when you consider the 6.5 Mannlicher, 7 Mauser, .30-06, and other higher intensity cartridges already existed. (This may speak more of the bullets then available, though.) The quote caught my eye when looking for old loads for the .30 Krag for use in my rolling block. It's an easy cartridge to load. Hornady's 220 RN over 4895 works quite nicely in my rifle, a load found in Lyman's current handbook. Were my rifle as strong as yours, I'd try some of the 220/3031 loads found in older references.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

KWK wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:15 pm
HawkCreek wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pmI'm a bit of a Whelen fan but I've never read that quote before, thanks KWK.
You can find it here, in The American Rifle, which was published during WW-I. His praise is all the more impressive when you consider the 6.5 Mannlicher, 7 Mauser, .30-06, and other higher intensity cartridges already existed. (This may speak more of the bullets then available, though.) The quote caught my eye when looking for old loads for the .30 Krag for use in my rolling block. It's an easy cartridge to load. Hornady's 220 RN over 4895 works quite nicely in my rifle, a load found in Lyman's current handbook. Were my rifle as strong as yours, I'd try some of the 220/3031 loads found in older references.
I dont have any of the old manuals yet but I've had my eye out for some locally. I do plan on using 220 grain bullets, I have a good supply of Hornady, Nosler and Woodleigh offerings just to see if it prefers one more than the others. The Noslers just dont look "right" with their more pointed semi-spitzer design but if they shoot better I'll use them. I'm hoping the Woodleighs do decent as I'd like to load some of their solids just to test out the reputation of penetration (they sure are pricey though). I wont hot rod it though as I have a .30-06 after all.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

HawkCreek wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:19 pmI don't have any of the old manuals yet but I've had my eye out for some locally.
Scans of Lyman 38 and Sharpe's book can be found on the web. Lyman's is the only modern load book with pressure tested data I know of.

I use the Hornady 220 RN. At the original 2000 fps, the recoil is modest.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Niiiice
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Finally got the .30-06 and the .30-40 to settle down long enough to get a picture of the two of them together. Nicer wood on the 30-40 but I need to work with it as the action is a little bit stiffer, not bad just newer I think. Hopefully in a few weeks I can get them out shooting.

20171006_132658.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.