50 years ago in PA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

50 years ago in PA

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad bought this old place in North West PA the summer before I was born. We were up last weekend to do a little cleaning up and get the place ready for winter. I'm hoping to make one more trip before it gets too cold but I never know with the business I'm in.

Got in a little hiking and lots of shooting. Just a few of the highlights. :D

I put a Burris scope on my Stoner 7.62x39 and got it sighted in. This was the first target w/ some Tula 124 gr. SPs. I'm betting I can cut that group in half with some trigger work. The second target was right on with some PPU round nose soft points. They both ran perfectly. I think I might take this one hog hunting next time out.

Here's that 94 in 44-40 that isn't supposed to shoot from what I've heard. I was having a hard time seeing the sights that morning. Sun was just right.

Savage MKII, 22LR with some Browning HPs. That's ten rounds all together. The two outside shots were my fault.

Just picked up this 1895 Nagant Target for cheap. The rear sight was stuck and didn't want to force it. I soaked it in Hoppe's and it's working now. I'll have to get out again. Funky old revolvers but they're fun.

Replaced an East German Makarov, forgot to save the target but I was having a heck of a time seeing that tiny little front sight!

This one's for Sixgun. Shot this with the ammo made from the brass and dies I bought from your haul! The load data on the box was just right! :D Grandpa's Model 70 in 250 Savage.
First two shots are on the left with the following three into 1/4" center to center. We only have 50 yds by the cabin. Neither one of us felt like hauling this stuff up to the top of the hill.

Had a great weekend hanging out with the Old Dude before the Snow Birds head south again.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 50 years ago in PA

Post by AJMD429 »

"....good times; real good times...." 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

That has to be a joy to be able to drive up into that beautiful area having that fine place to enjoy. Thank you for those photos !
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hell, I'd be happy to have an ugly stretch of hilly desert scrub to call my own, put a beat-up 1970s single-wide on and shoot on whenever... never mind a piece of land that can grow plants and edible critters...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey bro......that be coo...!!!!....(Ebonics) :D

Yea, my legacy will be "the guy that provided deadly components".....

Nothing like time spent in the woods with people you care about.....that leads to......

Oct. 6..7..8...Ridgway Pa......the most famous gunclub in the United States....the Ridgway Gunclub.......

We are going to play with leverguns out to 1000 yards.....yea..other guns too....the BAR will be there, along with M-1 Garands, full auto M-4's, single action Colts, flattop Rugers........

Just got off the phone with Jack Kort........the party will begin Friday morning on the 6th and will sadly subside on the evening of the 8th. The 200, 300, 385, and 500 meter match ..at silhouettes (full size) is on Saturday with pistol caliber and small bore on Sunday......not NRA so no books are needed...it's all PLAY......even leverguns with scopes...any caliber

Stop by if you get a chance....no need to be a member ...I'm not.....
Model A Uzi’s
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sorry. Wish I could, but both my Transporter and atmospheric craft are undergoing critical maintenance and won't be available until 1/1/2300... Or so the techs tell me.

Sadly, too, the gold/platinum/plutonium bars (standard outworld non-credit currency) I have available to trade are not well accepted here, and tend to encourage local tribal leaders to send "A Teams" to dispose of it.

But if you have some sort of air/molecular transport available, I'm there.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Jack! I'll see what I can do about getting back up there. :D

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 am Thanks Jack! I'll see what I can do about getting back up there. :D

jb 8)
OK Jason.....enough of promises......I DEMAND you and I get together . :D

For real buddy, I'd like to meet you and do some trigger time. It's boring around here with an influx of BMW's and liberal thoughts taking over.....I thought I was going to be attacked by the libs last election with all of my Trump posters.

Somehow I gotta get that Old Ironsights guy ...(yea, OK, Blaine too)' who lives out in Wyoming to hook up with me too. :D

Ain't many of us left....I feel for the next generation.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 pm
2ndovc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 am Thanks Jack! I'll see what I can do about getting back up there. :D

jb 8)

For real buddy, I'd like to meet you and do some trigger time. It's boring around here with an influx of BMW's and liberal thoughts taking over.....I thought I was going to be attacked by the libs last election with all of my Trump posters.

Somehow I gotta get that Old Ironsights guy ...(yea, OK, Blaine too)' who lives out in Wyoming to hook up with me too. :D

Well, it would take... planning... but my Sister (the ex DC National Opera Costume Design Dept Mgr.) is a Pennsic Maven, so a trip out there around that time would get me a twofer. My Niece will be 17 and Nephew... 13? Haven't seen them since the Nephew was in arms...

It's worth looking into.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 pm

jb 8)

Dang Six

I have to get up there too before too much time passes ------ I haven't posted much since my vacation to the Whittington Center a few months ago -- been down and out with personal stuff, - but i'd love to get my M-14 (err- M1A - it doesn't know its not an M14 :lol: ) out and about again -- and now I added a little brother - a SOCOM edition that I have yet to fire . Hurricane Harvey and Irma derailed all of my fall and early winter good time plans --- but heck, those guns and ammo don't just jump in the truck themselves, -- money has to be earned at some point in time

Jason -- beautiful family spot you have ! Thanks for sharing the pics --- I'm not sure I would go for a Nagant, but I have a secret (now not so secret) hankering for a Webley re-chambered in 45 ACP --- that would be a lot of fun
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Streetstar...and OI........it's no small excursion to make.....I feel the same way when something big is happening out your way....I'd love to go see what you boys are up to but distance= money, time, and worry about the Jeepload of iron while on the road.

This Ridgway gig is a 250 mile trip for me and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it...I don't like traveling much more that a hundred miles from home...it why my 2005 Rubicon just turned over 40,000 miles.

Griff probably drives more in a month than I do in 5 years.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a "Big Ole Time", buddy! I doubt I'd survive a few days like that. It would be cool to get a bunch of us together.
I hear you on the travelin' thing. I would never leave the state if it wasnt for the wife's relatives. I'm antsy the whole time we are gone. I was more relaxed around your place than "over the bridge", though!
If you ever do get the travelin bug, roll on up here.......and bring that Jeep! It needs some trail time! :D

Nice camp, Jason.
My dad and I built one in the hills. There was nothing for miles in any direction. We enjoyed it for 20 years till we got caught up in one of those communist windmill projects. We held their feet to the fire and made out. Went from the camp and 40 acres too 200 acres with a trout stream. Losing the camp stings, lots if memories. I know when my old dad is gone is when it will really bother me, though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Something similar happened to us as well. The land that surrounds our cabin and others along our road were going to be forced into a sale to a large investment company for logging, oil, etc. but the camp owners got together and worked out a deal.

Jack,
I'm hoping to make it up to Ridgeway but it's not looking too good. Kid #2 is getting married that week and I'm being told I have to be there. :shock:
With any luck he'll come to his senses and call the whole thing off!

jb 8)

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:46 pm...
This Ridgway gig is a 250 mile trip for me and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it...I don't like traveling much more that a hundred miles from home...it why my 2005 Rubicon just turned over 40,000 miles...
Phsaw. My 2001 Outback is at 155K now. I have to drive 120+ mi to get to a Sportsman's Warehouse, and 310+ to SLC or 350+ to get to DIA to catch a bird...

Keeps the rabble away donchano... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmm....as we used to say in the sixties...bummer. .....I hear ya OI and Jason....(why is he getting married?...smoking some bad stuff?)

I'm having issues myself...the wife told the dogs that I'm leaving and they have been howling for 2 days.

And JAY.....this place is in Northern Pa and might be closer to travel than when you went to "over the bridge". I figure you can go north, pick up Pitchy, and then cruise on over to Ridgway. (Hey, for real, it might be five hours for you...the same as it is for me)

Come on Jay......we will slam down some cold ones and make some lead deposits!-----6. There's only about 12-15 guys and we camp out in the clubhouse. There's a T-bar right down the road.....(not really)
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha that'd be a hoot and a half ole buddy! This year is pretty tight but I'd love to take you up on that! Pitchy could start ridin in that direction. When we meet I will throw his old Shovelhead in the back of the truck and we will meet you. You'll have to give him a ride home cause I'm gonna haul his sweet ride home with me! :D
And hey, we got T- bars up here too......but the T stands for teeth. Something we don't get to see a lot of in these parts. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 am ...but the T stands for teeth. Something we don't get to see a lot of in these parts. :D
Oh man...that was good! (I do prefer the girls without teeth...less pain :D )
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 am ...but the T stands for teeth. Something we don't get to see a lot of in these parts. :D
Oh man...that was good! (I do prefer the girls without teeth...less pain :D )
I always knew you were pretty smart, Six. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm "....good times; real good times...." 8)

Exactly what I was thinking! :D