Horses?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Horses?

Post by mikld »

OK, I admit, I'm a city boy (So. Central L.A.) and know nothing about horses other than they are big. I am asking this question here because I figger there are some horsemen here and I don't dare ask it on any other forum;

I see a lot of Cowboy TV shows and movies and I see a stage coach or wagon being pulled by 2, 4, or 6 horses. I know the stage coaches are made of wood and may be heavy, but how does one determine how many horses are needed to pull a stage coach or wagon? :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Horses?

Post by jeepnik »

Distance, weight, but mostly terrain. Flat terrain you can have fewer horses. When it becomes steep you need more to pull the wagon up. Not uncommon for passengers to get out and walk up some grades. Some passengers have been known to push at times.

Amazing what one can learn watching PBS. Oh and having a cousin that knows all things horse related.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This stagecoach is pulled by 850 horses........................ :mrgreen:

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Draft animals are a science and skill and art unto itself...literally horse, mule or oxen power. You can ride a draft animal...but it's hard to pull a riding horse.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The various horse breeds have a lot to do with how many are used. Riding horses such as thoroughbreds are not bred for pulling power. Quarter horses(no I do not know what the other 3/4th is) are not great for the long distance runs or the pulling power, but they are able to turn on a dime and give you change while working long hours on little food. Appaloosa are bred to pull the teepee when broken down into a travois, and hunt long distances, and carry the warrior into battle as an instrument of war. Sort of the SUV of horses. Draft horses were bred to pull heavy loads, and often used to carry a knight into battle like a tank. Many breeds of horses, and many purposes. Morgan horses were a smaller horse for pulling a plow rather than a huge wagon, but they excelled at being used in teams for pulling stagecoaches.
You know if someone can truly ride if they can saddle and bridle their own horse.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 pm Distance, weight, but mostly terrain. Flat terrain you can have fewer horses. When it becomes steep you need more to pull the wagon up. Not uncommon for passengers to get out and walk up some grades. Some passengers have been known to push at times.

Amazing what one can learn watching PBS. Oh and having a cousin that knows all things horse related.
Link will give you view in the stages from Deadwood to across Wyo.
http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/stagelines.html
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Stevie wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:32 pm You can ride a draft animal...but it's hard to pull a riding horse.
Pulling any horse must be tough unless you're really strong! :D