Digital auto charge scales and powder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Digital auto charge scales and powder?

Post by Stevie »

For the last couple years I've just been using a small inexpensive digital scale to weigh powder charges for my reloading. I was using a couple old balance beam powder scales that suddenly went hay-wire and scared me!

Anyhow...I bought myself a Hornady Loc and Load auto charge powder handling scale a couple weeks ago. Once I understood how it works and how to set it up properly as far as speed etc...have used it for loading .45-70 with 3031 successfully. This a big step up in my reloading regime!

I know my new Hornady auto charge says not to use it for black powder...I can deal with that. For the loads I do make I measure by volume anyhow(like you're supposed to). But what powders do work well with an auto charge scale?

Will Trail Boss run through such a scale successfully?

The 3031 long-stranded powder caused me some problems at first with constant over charges...until I managed to read and understand the Hornady destructions to get the thing set to where it would go to 'trickle' early enough in the 'spew powder cycle' to avoid the constant over-charge issue. I have some more .45-70/400gr jacketed/imr 4198 loads to produce..and I figure it will work ok with 4198 as it's similar to 3031. However I have been using Trail Boss for my .44-40 loads with satisfaction...and wonder just how well that big flaky light stuff will work.

What powders work best through an auto charge scale? Any tips and tricks beyond what the Hornady auto charge destruction sheet states for effective and proper use of auto charge systems??

Thanx...Stevie.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Digital auto charge scales and powder?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I don't use a scale like you asked about but it seems to me that any of the "ball" powders would work extremely well, H110, 231, Ball C, etc. etc.

For ffg in 44-40 I use the Dillon powder measure with a piece of exhaust pipe for a powder hopper. Had my friend who owns a muffler shop expand one end to the exact diameter needed to fit right in where the plexiglass one had been. Large calibers that need to be drop tubed I throw on my Lyman 450 with the brass hopper and drop tube attached.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Have never really researched the deal...but I suppose it's the plastic hopper and static charge that precludes the use of black powder in hopper equipped powder measures huh?

About the only cartridges I load with black powder would be .577/.450 Martini Henry and I have turned a batch or two of .45-70 gov. I really have not progressed far into BP cartridge loading.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I use the Hornady regularly so I should be able to answer your question. But nope, I only use it for the powders that don't meter well such as the "dots" and big sticks (and long sticks like your 3031 there). All the balls and Alliant's nice little sticks such as the ReLoader series I meter because it is faster and they all throw very close. Even Trail Boss meters well enough I haven't felt the need to try it in the Hornady auto scale. But I'd bet it will do quite well -- good chance you can even go back to the standard "trickle-start" timing with it.

But since you have now figured out how to change the speed and trickle-start settings I'm sure you'll be able to adjust for any powder you want to use, though I occasionally have an "over" no matter how slow I set the thing because the nastiest powders tend to drop in "glumps" that can throw you past the sweet spot by a tenth. This old kid at that point might go ahead and accept the "over" anyway, maybe scrape a couple granules out, because +/- a tenth is plenty good enough for my purposes.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have used a pact electronic scale dispenser combo for years. Other than black, I use it for all powders.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Thanx for the reassurances and advice....The auto charge scale to me is like cell phone to a cave man!

I'll give the Trail Boss a try...for some reason I had it in my head that stuff might not work too well. Probably since Trail Boss didn't flow well through my trickler for whatever reason.

I noticed my new Hornady auto charger didn't come with a DVD??...But maybe it's old stock or something.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Stevie wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:35 pm Thanx for the reassurances and advice....The auto charge scale to me is like cell phone to a cave man!

I'll give the Trail Boss a try...for some reason I had it in my head that stuff might not work too well. Probably since Trail Boss didn't flow well through my trickler for whatever reason.

I noticed my new Hornady auto charger didn't come with a DVD??...But maybe it's old stock or something.
If you have problems with Trail Boss, use the soda straw trick - cut off a piece and insert into the discharge spout to slow down the trickle.