Took a step backward... :)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Took a step backward... :)

Post by 1894c »

Hi -- I've been a Glock fanboy forever, well almost forever. I've been carrying and shooting Glock autos since 1996. But I decided to take a step backward and traded a couple of my Glocks and picked up a CZ P-07 in 9mm (polymer frame) and have a CZ 2075 RAMI BD (aluminum frame) on the way. Both Pistols are DA/SA with a decocker (see attached hammer). I went this way because I wanted to do something different and I wanted to have an auto with an exposed hammer. No offense to Glock or other striker fired pistols but I wanted something slightly safer.

About five years ago I was on patrol with the LE Agency that I serve and we were going through some heavy brush and bushes looking for an individual who was contemplating suicide. As I was going through this really thick stuff I felt a branch slap me hard in the leg. Actually, the brach ripped through my uniform pants and lodged itself in my right front pocket of my uniform pants and pressed real hard against an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and right into the trigger guard of my Glock 26. I immediately stopped and cleared the branch and realized that if I had pushed on the G-26 might have gone bang.

Since this incident I no longer use Uncle Mike's pocket holsters and have been somewhat leary of Glock's safe-action design. So last week I bought something different (the P-07 is the size of a Glock 19 and the RAMI is the size of a Glock 26, kind-of, both guns are 3-4 ozs heavier than their Glock counterparts)...taking the CZ P-07 to the range on Friday. I apologize for the long post... :)
watermark_1.php.jpg
IMG_0455.JPG
ee9bda650510f9dc5f96d8b9876370fa.jpeg
RAMI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Took a step backward... :)

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is not a perfect firearm. Some are really good. I have a Glock, but I dont carry it enough for it to have shown me any trouble. As far as safety goes, we all know that your guns safeties are going to fail sometime since they are mechanical. Anything mechanical is subject to failure. It may not happen in your lifetime, or it may happen today. We don't know.

I hope you like your CZ pistols. I like everything from CZ that I have used.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm with you on exposed-hammers, plus a definitive safety is not a bad idea, IF it is a fast, intuitive, reliable design like the 1911 (instead of one of those push-forward ones on the slide :roll: ).

That's why I like my Taurus PT-92; same durable, reliable, battle-proven design as Beretta, yet with 1911-style safety. Grab-thumb-pull-bang and HITTING target with that gun is no slower in my hands than when I shoot a Glock, or a condition-one 1911. Maybe with a slicked-up holster after quick-draw training I'd have an edge with the Glock, but I figure the chance of a dozen milliseconds making a life-and-death difference versus the chance of an accidental discharge causing harm is way in favor of the latter being more likely under nearly all circumstances. Situational awareness and lots of practice are going to help me more than saving the milliseconds needed to thumb a safety down or a longer trigger pull.

IF I were in such circumstance that I felt the odds were the other way around, I'd either:

a) have the gun (any of them) in-hand to begin with,
b) have my 40-round AR pistol instead, or a shotgun, or
c) stay away from there.

Glocks ARE nice guns, but I like Browning's designs best.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Locally we had one LEO shoot and kill one of their own, while playing quick draw in the locker room. They were just changing over to the Glock and another shoot himself in the leg while holstering his Glock at a gun safety meeting to boot! Red faced for sure. Once there is any object that depresses that little safety lever in the trigger guard you are live.

The Browning designed safety system was and is still the best. Everybody else tries to rig something that may start out better or cheaper in their opinion but in the end the 1911 has stood the test of time and continues to for the foreseeable future.
Pierre
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've carried Glocks for work and off duty. Never really a fan of the trigger dingus "safety". made me feel like I was carrying a 1911 Cocked and Unlocked. (Think about it... the 1911 is not supposed to fire if something inadvertently trips the trigger because of the Grip safety... yet how many people would feel comfortable carrying a 1911 with the thumb safety off?)

I also like hammers, and every CZ I've owned has been a positive experience except for the rusting issue.

Now I've got a sole striker gun again, the Taurus PT111 G2, and so far, it seems to be a great little pistol... once I got rid of the trigger dingus to rely on the thumb safety.

I don't think it will ever be my EDC, but it's a pretty decent semi-deep cover gun, especially with the intagral laser (a whopping $99).

Oh, and I really like the lines on that RAMI...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

I only carry my G19 in kydex holsters that completely surround the trigger guard, And always watch for obstructions when holstering.
I really like well made leather gear and then I just carry a revolver, right now I only have single actions.
I need to remedy that situation.

I like the looks of that CZ.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

I've been carrying a Glock for over 31 years when my first was issued to me by the P.D. to replace our S&W Model 10's. It was presented to us as a flat revolver. When you think about it most of us carried revolvers for decades never concerning ourselves that they didn't have external safety's. I've never had an issue with mine and know hundreds of officers that haven't had any negligent discharges. The issue described in the post with the branch tearing at his pants and his backup in the pocket I would describe as an anomaly and not likely to be repeated. I'm a firm believer in carry what you feel comfortable with whatever that may be. I'll stick with my Glock 19. I still look at it as pure and simply a tool because they sure aren't designed for the aesthetics. Winchester lever guns, well there's a great tool that is unmatched in the aesthetics department. 1873, 1892, 1894 and 1895, beautiful workhorses.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

shiloh505 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:20 am I've been carrying a Glock for over 31 years when my first was issued to me by the P.D. to replace our S&W Model 10's. It was presented to us as a flat revolver. When you think about it most of us carried revolvers for decades never concerning ourselves that they didn't have external safety's. I've never had an issue with mine and know hundreds of officers that haven't had any negligent discharges. The issue described in the post with the branch tearing at his pants and his backup in the pocket I would describe as an anomaly and not likely to be repeated. I'm a firm believer in carry what you feel comfortable with whatever that may be. I'll stick with my Glock 19. I still look at it as pure and simply a tool because they sure aren't designed for the aesthetics. Winchester lever guns, well there's a great tool that is unmatched in the aesthetics department. 1873, 1892, 1894 and 1895, beautiful workhorses.
Thing is, I've yet to meet a DA revolver that would go Bang as easily as a Glock - even with a "NY Trigger".

Now, if your Admin was comparing a Glock to a SA/DA revolver at Full Cock (as SOP)... :shock:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Honestly, I never really understood the Glock trigger as a 'safety' feature.

The Savage (and now others) rifle triggers that are similarly set up are designed totally differently internally, and make really nice target triggers, but the idea that a central portion of the trigger 'has to be pulled back' as a safety makes no sense to me, since there wouldn't be very many situations where the rest of the trigger got pulled on, but somehow not the middle-part... :roll: I guess a branch just long enough to hit the edge of the trigger, maybe, or a curious toddler who just wants to pull the edge of the trigger.

Having said that, I do like the Glock design, but I'm betting that type design has more accidental discharges than revolvers or exposed-hammer semi autos, or the longer-trigger-pull 'double action only' ones.

As many have said - the proper HOLSTER is key. I wouldn't carry my 1911 in 'condition one' unless the holster helped keep the thumb-safety 'up', and the holster retention-strap went under the hammer.

Too many striker-fired guns like the Glock are carried in generic holsters that don't protect the trigger.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I'm really big on "Backwards." The only handguns I feel really safe with are DA revolvers, a J-frame Smith 651 .22WRM for a trail gun and a Ruger GP-100 "Match Champion" .357 for anything that really night NEED to be kilt.

(That "Jeep" really is a champion. Unfortunately winning a match requires a champion behind the sights....I'm a little short of that).
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 pm Honestly, I never really understood the Glock trigger as a 'safety' feature.
Ask Ruger why they added it to theirs....

It's an inertia safety. A heavy trigger can travel enough on impact (floor, whatever) to fire the gun. The middle portion is light weight and at a slightly different rotation angle. Not likely that the gun could be jarred from such an angle as to make both portions of the trigger rotate and fire.

On the Savages it's purpose is similar if slightly different. The middle portion allows the trigger to be set light, but a jar cannot set it off without the center being depressed 1st. The 5.5 pound connector is light enough on a Glock. I'll never see a need for me to change it out for a lesser one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle