Cabelas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Cabelas

Post by marlinman93 »

OK, so this one is my fault, as I didn't learn the first time. But I figured how hard could it be to buy one gun, especially when I ordered it online, and made sure it was ready to go when I got there? Well I knew I'd need to do a background check, but that's typically less than 10 minutes, and that's all it took today. But the rest took over 2 1/2 hours to sell me one gun! I started the timer on my phone when I walked into the store!
First I go to the information counter, and ask where to go for an online firearms pickup. He sends me to gun check out, where I wait another 35 minutes just to get somebody to make eye contact. Then some jackass who was standing behind me walks over to the clerk and steps up. I walked over and told the clerk he cut in front, and was 20 minutes behind me. The guy looks perturbed, but doesn't say anything. I hand the clerk my order number, and he tells me I have to go to the gun counter!

So off to the gun counter, where I have to take a number. #100, but they're already on #96, so I figure it will be quick. Then I stand around in the rows for another 40 minutes. Finally I look up and they've changed to #97! Then 5 minutes later the numbers start rolling over straight to #101. I walk up to the clerk and tell him I'm #100 and he passed me right by. He gets an attitude and tells me I wasn't quick enough, and he's taking care of these folks now. I tell him he gave me all of maybe 7-8 seconds to walk up before he passed me by!

So another 15 minute wait, and Mr Attitude finally asks what he can do for me? I give him the order # and he's back with the gun in a few minutes. Then he begins the long ordeal of him moving like a snail to do paperwork. This guy talks to every other clerk who happens to walk by, and often stops to look something over, or just shoot the breeze! So after another hour or so, he's finally complete. Then he begins to box the rifle back up in the box it came in, and it takes this clown a full 5 minutes of struggling to try and figure out how the gun fits back in!!!! I saw him turn it endways, upside down, and backwards! It even hurt me to watch someone have such a huge battle with a cardboard box! But he finally won, and I was out the door! Just 2 hours and 37 minutes later!!

Now I'm officially never going to go to Cabelas to buy a gun unless I take my lunch pail full of snacks and drinks!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cabelas

Post by claybob86 »

Sounds like a pain. What did you get for all that trouble?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang..... :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

In-cred-iboble! The fellows here at either "Prepper-Up" or "Bullseye" in Prineville do not treat a customer like that. Might be worth coming on over the hill next time you need a gun. Give a holler and we'll run out to the local shootin' spot and try her out, too.

Oh yeah, I guess there would be a little 3-hour drive involved there!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

earlmck wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm
At least he'd be moving for the 3 hours! :wink:

I hate when people waste my time, something I NEVER have enough of. It is one thing to be incompetent and do it. It is altogether another to be indifferent and/or rude while doing it. A manager doing his job would have the sales guy scrubbing urinals for a month if he or she caught him (or her) not focusing on the customer in front of them, and being inconsiderate. Then again, many managers in retail operations are there because they have a college degree... but no real skills. :evil:

Maybe this is why Cabela's got bought out by Bass Pro Shops?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

claybob86 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm Sounds like a pain. What did you get for all that trouble?
Something totally out of character for me and my gun interests! An Anderson AR-15 Optics Ready rifle. If it wasn't for the fantastic under $400 price I'd have walked out way before it went this long!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm In-cred-iboble! The fellows here at either "Prepper-Up" or "Bullseye" in Prineville do not treat a customer like that. Might be worth coming on over the hill next time you need a gun. Give a holler and we'll run out to the local shootin' spot and try her out, too.

I'd enjoy a trip to Prineville Earl! The 3 hr. drive would be a joy with the scenery along the route! And I'd be much calmer after some shooting too!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm
earlmck wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm
At least he'd be moving for the 3 hours! :wink:

I hate when people waste my time, something I NEVER have enough of. It is one thing to be incompetent and do it. It is altogether another to be indifferent and/or rude while doing it. A manager doing his job would have the sales guy scrubbing urinals for a month if he or she caught him (or her) not focusing on the customer in front of them, and being inconsiderate. Then again, many managers in retail operations are there because they have a college degree... but no real skills. :evil:

Maybe this is why Cabela's got bought out by Bass Pro Shops?
I always hated wasting time, but since I retired 7 years ago, I hate it even more! I've only got so many days left in me, and sure don't want to waste any of them waiting on knuckleheads like these guys!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's a nightmare buying an antique also. Last year I had to get the gun library to bring out books to prove it was a "legal" antique. It still took almost an hour to pay.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I had one gun counter clerk look right through me for probably 15 minutes as he played with his computer, and papers. Then after 15 minutes he looked at me and said, "How are you today?" Then he turned and walked off without ever asking what I might need. Shocking, to say the least.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 pm It's a nightmare buying an antique also. Last year I had to get the gun library to bring out books to prove it was a "legal" antique. It still took almost an hour to pay.
I bought 3 antique guns the next day after you. Those took 30 minutes just to prove to the Gun Library guys they were all antiques. Then after they copied the book pages to show they were antiques, it took another 2 1/2 hours to buy them!
It just amazes me that Cabelas can continue to stay in business with so many people having similar experiences?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would have had a little chat with the store manager about a "training opportunity" (speaking his language), and fill him in, along with your good customer info.

I would opine that different Cabela's store's staffs have different levels of performance, expertise, and co-operation - by as far as the Cabela's closest to me (East Hartford, CT) goes, when I purchased my bargain-priced .303 Savage 1899H about 18mos ago, it took about 15mins for me to pay for it, fill out the Federal paperwork, and arrange shipping to my RI FFL.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 pm .

I would have had a little chat with the store manager about a "training opportunity" (speaking his language), and fill him in, along with your good customer info.
I considered that Pete, but was also concerned it might not go any farther than the store manager, as things can be swept under the carpet if a manager doesn't want it getting back to Corporate. So instead I sent a detailed message to customer service, along with my order #, so they can follow up (hopefully) and see who the person was who was the main source of this thing going at a snail's pace!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Was in Sidney Neb. a few months ago & had a bit of time to kill so stopped at Cabelas, I remembered while I was in there why
I promised myself 5 years earlier I would never go there again!!!

Brad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've bought guns from several Cabela's Gun Libraries

Had most of them shipped to my local FFL for less than the gas round-trip would have been to the closest Cabelas. They will ship to your closest store for $25 or to you FFL for the same price.

Bought a Marlin in Sidney NE and got checked out quick. It was late, bad weather, and manager was about the only one there.
The Allen TX store takes forever and a day. I have to want a gun real bad to buy it there.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A gun library employee told me that 7 people have to inspect and sign off on the 4473 before you can take it out of the store. Corporate Attorneys.....
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sometimes the stars don't line up in ones favor. Seems like that as soon as aggravating things start, they don't end until the next day. Be glad your vehicle was not stolen or damaged when you got out to the parking lot or maybe a speeding ticket on the way home....when your aggravated, you don't seem to pay attention to what you should be paying attention to...and that's when the cop has the radar gun...just waiting for you. :D

Ahhh..chalk it off dude ....you forgot more about guns than the entire Cabelas staff will ever know....collectively. Pay close attention to what they have for sale...they will eventually mess up and you will buy that 3k gun for 5 c-notes. I've personally have seen that happen a half dozen times at the Hamburg, Pa. Cabelas---6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Six make it 7 times! A couple years ago I walked in to the used gun racks and found an octagon 1892 in 32-20 for $399 ok. Says I. SOLD. COUPLE HOURS to do the paperwork but whatever at that price.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I probably would have told Mr. Attitude that he could stick it where the sun don't shine, that is, once he pulled his head out of there. As someone said, I'm retired, I only have so much time left and I am not spending it waiting for some salesperson.

Yeah, sometimes you can find a diamond at Cabelas but get charged for a piece of coal.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 pm Six make it 7 times! A couple years ago I walked in to the used gun racks and found an octagon 1892 in 32-20 for $399 ok. Says I. SOLD. COUPLE HOURS to do the paperwork but whatever at that price.
Tom,
I too, bought an 1892 in 32-20 but it was $300. Second year production (1893) rifle with a mint bore and 95% blue. On the other hand, the year was 1974. :D --6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm A gun library employee told me that 7 people have to inspect and sign off on the 4473 before you can take it out of the store. Corporate Attorneys.....
Gun library guys are just as ignorant of their rules. Only one guy looked over the 4473 and approved it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm Sometimes the stars don't line up in ones favor. Seems like that as soon as aggravating things start, they don't end until the next day. Be glad your vehicle was not stolen or damaged when you got out to the parking lot or maybe a speeding ticket on the way home....when your aggravated, you don't seem to pay attention to what you should be paying attention to...and that's when the cop has the radar gun...just waiting for you. :D

Ahhh..chalk it off dude ....you forgot more about guns than the entire Cabelas staff will ever know....collectively. Pay close attention to what they have for sale...they will eventually mess up and you will buy that 3k gun for 5 c-notes. I've personally have seen that happen a half dozen times at the Hamburg, Pa. Cabelas---6
Been there and done that Sixgun. My only other trip to Cabelas was to buy three old Marlin leverguns that were all priced much too low. Didn't want to keep any of them, but being antiques they were very easy to resell. The gun library had them priced low enough I doubled my money on all 3 and likely those who bought them from me could still make some money too! But that was still a PITA too!
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I bought my Browning 1886 SRC online from a Cabela's gun library (Minnesota)...anyhow..at first everything went well...my FFL got them rigged-up with his FFL copy and shipping info...I had paid up front online...the Cabela's gun library personnel acknowledged everything in order and would get it shipped-out quick. Yeh right!

Quick to sell...but slow to ship...like took them almost three weeks to box it up and get it in the truck to Oklahoma. I asked my receiving FFL about it and he said that's the way they had treated him on a firearm he had purchased from a Cabela's.

I wasn't too impressed with that particular Cabela's online firearms sales/service. However I do think that part of that stores issue was that the gun library manager had gone on vacation shortly after I bought the Browning...because nobody would answer the phone there after I bought the gun. As soon as the manager showed back and I actually talked to him again...suddenly my Browning 1886 shipped-out. It was like nobody knew how to pack and ship anything...or answer the phone...or anything without somebody telling them to...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got a survey from Cabelas, but NOT for their gun transactions. It was a survey about their Cabelas credit card. I started it in hopes I could give them a piece of my mind, but quickly realized it was never going to get to the actual transaction I had.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Email I got from Customer Service today:

Good afternoon Vall,

Thank you for your email and taking the time to write to us.

Quality is a very valued component of the experience we want to provide for all of our customers. I am very sorry to hear of the disappointing experience at our Tualitin retail store.

I want you to know I am forwarding your comments verbatim to the appropriate department at Cabela's headquarters, for further review and opportunities for improvement.

We take all comments from our customers seriously, and sincerely appreciate your feedback. We know we gain valuable information from our customers experience improves because of them.

Please let me know if we can assist you in any other way, and it would be our pleasure to do so.

Thank you for being a most valued CLUB member, and I do hope you have a legendary weekend.

Sincerely,
Jill J.
Customer Service

I chuckled when I saw she spelled the name of the store wrong. It's Tualatin, not Tualitin.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I have been to the Hamburg store several times and it's the only one I have visited. It's over 2.5 hours away and I have made several purchases there and possibly would have bought more if I had been received in a more professional manner. I've gotten short answers when asking where an item might be or of they might have it in stock. I remember one time asking an employee if they had an item in the department we were in and showing him the sales flyer. His answer was "we don't always carry everything" before turning and walking off. I also had a lot of trouble getting waited on at the gun counter before attracting the attention of an unapologetic and somewhat disinterested clerk. I did get the blackpowder revolver I came for but left with a less than satisfactory experience. I believe the store should offer better training and the Human Resources dept. should do a better job of screening potential employees. I started work at 11 in a country store/gas station to earn money for Boy Scout camp and worked there for over 10 years through high school and college. I have also been a service manager for a couple of dealerships, a shop foreman and a vocational teacher so I do know a little about dealing with the public. I don't ask for a lot but I do expect the same interest, courtesy and respect I have always tried to show the public.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've stopped in Cabela's from WA to PA... 3 in TX, several others in other states, and quite obviously, Sidney, NE. And the difference between my first visit to Sidney in 1969 and my last, in 2017 is like night & day! I have only bought one gun in a Cabela's... and that was an 1851 Colt 2nd Gen. After haggling the price south of the $400 asking price, I got my receipt and left. The Gun Library guy kept referring to it as a Uberti... truly clueless. (Yes, I know the difference, While Uberti made all the parts for the Colt 2nd Gens, they never assembled any and sold them under their name... the left over parts were sold to ASM and they assembled and sold them... with appropriate export markings).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got another survey request from Cabelas! This time asking me about how my latest firearms purchase went! Most questions are rated excellent, to terrible. But there was a comment section with a limit of 900 or so characters. I briefly told them about the transaction, and finished by saying, "900 characters is not enough to truly describe how bad the firearms section's customer service and checkout are!"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:29 pm Got another survey request from Cabelas! This time asking me about how my latest firearms purchase went!...
Good on you, Marlinman. I am sure that there are some good employees and stores within that chain somewhere else. You might just effect a change.

Besides, sometimes you get free stuff after complaining!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TL,DR most of the other posts, but here is my less than a penny...

Two things come to mind:

#1: The insane level of regulatory BS that a particular Store may be subjected to because of whatever gripes the State/Fed bureaucrats.

#2: An overly "sales focused" Store Manager who realizes that the longer he delays a Transfer, up to a statistical limit, that he can, the longer the Mark... er... "Customer" has to browse the overpriced stuff he could get delivered to his door for less.

IMO... never, ever, take an Online 4473 purchase to a Corporate store. Find a local guy and give him some help in keeping his FFL live.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I've had the same experience when I ordered in a gun from Cabelas. I waited WAY longer than was necessary. As I recall it was pushing 2 hours. Every time I see a gun in there I like, I go look for it at several other stores in my area.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Perhaps the new owners will improve the customer service.
I realize that not everybody can do this, but I go on weekday mornings when people are working, and sane retirees are still drinking their coffee....Cabela's on a Sat or Sun afternoon will see the gun case displays two deep in customers. Bigger crowds than the free fried chicken stand in Harlem...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You want good service at the Hamburg Cabelas, go on a Tuesday when it's snowing. The staff were running to help me and the 11 other people in the store.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just an update to this story. I just got home from annual deer hunting and got a call last night from a lady at Cabelas main headquarters. She was wanting to hear the story of my Cabelas gun purchase firsthand, and had read both my email, and survey response. She was very apologetic, and very nice about listening to what transpired. I told her there was likely never going to be another Cabelas gun purchase ever made by me, regardless of how good the price or gun was, but I did appreciate the call. We discussed what went wrong, and she listened to my suggestions on how Cabelas could improve their customer service, and do a better job of interacting with customers.
After she told me that headquarters would be talking to the store manager, and making sure the store got it's act together, I asked if someone would contact me in the future and let me know what changes had been set in place to avoid the many errors made previously. She said she would, and offered to send me a Cabelas gift certificate to compensate for my trouble, and assistance in letting them know about the issue at this store. I told her I'd likely never return to this store for any purchase, but she said it could be used online, and understood my affliction for the Tualatin store. Never asked her the amount of the gift certificate, as I felt it would be tacky to do so. We'll see how badly they feel about this incident once the gift certificate arrives here.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, this is not the first time I have heard of a Cabela's firearms transaction making even the DMV look good. Very first time I ever set foot in a Cabela's was at the HQ store in Sidney, Nebraska. I felt like I was in St. Peter's Basilica, but the help there was unhelpful as any I have experienced in retail. Glad they tried to follow through with you, though. It is a hopeful sign that someone, somewhere in their corporate structure "sabe's the business."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You're right Bill! Cabelas has more staff than any store I've ever seen, and it's still nearly impossible to get help! They need to take the lead that some retail, and grocery stores have done, and make sure that a customer can stop any employee and that employee will either help, or walk them to the right person for help! I can go in a Safeway store and ask about anything from any employee, and that employee will stay with you until they get you to someone who helps you.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

If I was ever feeling deprived because there is no Cabela's on this side of the mountain I no longer am! I remain grateful for the two small but friendly gun stores we have in this town and the nearby larger but still friendly ones we have in the area.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Every Cabela's I've ever been to has shown bad service at the gun counter.

E.V.E.R.Y. S.I.N.G.L.E. O.N.E.

I'd be curious to discover what the qualifications for working at that gun counter might be, because none of the store personnel I've encountered there seems to give a dry flip.

That would lead me to believe that there is a corporate policy at play. Complaints only serve to let then know that it's working.

It's like they're generally in the business of selling guns, but what they're doing between sales is antagonizing customers to see it they can disqualify a sale because the customer is rattled.

Stephen Paddock was probably just an average and enthusiastic firearms collector who stopped by a Cabela's gun counter on his way home.

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Vall,

I think your feedback caused some changes. I was in the Tualatin store today with a friend that wanted to use the current $20 off coupon. The guy at the optics counter did everything, but ask him if he needed his butt wiped. A smile, helpful, explained function & features, and even walked him over to where the other items he was interested in were stocked. Stuff must have hit the fan.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:39 pm Vall,

I think your feedback caused some changes. I was in the Tualatin store today with a friend that wanted to use the current $20 off coupon. The guy at the optics counter did everything, but ask him if he needed his butt wiped. A smile, helpful, explained function & features, and even walked him over to where the other items he was interested in were stocked. Stuff must have hit the fan.
If by chance they did change, and my complaint had something to do with that change, I'd be thrilled! I wont give them a chance to irritate me again!

I was relating my story to Pat, who runs the door at our OAC gun shows, and boy did he give me an earful! Seems he went there not long ago to purchase a 1911 style pistol, and things went extremely bad for him also! He asked to look at the gun, and then told them he'd take it. He had just gotten a Cabelas Club credit card, so had another $25 off gift card to reduce the price. The guy at the counter asked Pat if he knew anyone in McMinnville, Or., and he said "No."
Then the guy begins to interrogate him, and tell him it's a Federal crime to purchase a gun for someone else! Pat asked what this was all about, and they told him someone had just tried to purchase that same gun and failed the background check! He asked the salesman what that had to do with him, and why he'd think he would commit a crime for anyone? The salesman continued to do the 4473, but also continued to harp on the previous sale, and possibility he was somehow involved.
After paying for the gun, he stopped at the Cabelas Club counter and asked if they had any scissors. When they told him they didn't, he held up his new credit card and told them it was going in the shredder when he got home. He wasn't a bit surprised at my tale of what happened when I was there to buy the rifle.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Woo hoo! Found out how bad cabelas felt about this event! They sent a whopping $30 gift certificate as an apology! Heck, I get flyers for 10% off often, so I guess they aren't that upset. I wont go to that store to use the gift certificate, as I'll spend it online and then cut up my cabelas credit card, and cancel it.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bridger158 »

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads ... ost6027612

Speaking of the Hamburg store, I just found this thread on a another forum I frequent.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

After having a Cabelas visa for nearly 20 years We took a ride two weeks ago to the nearest one, used up the points and cancelled it. nothing much there interests Me much anymore and the know it ALL EXPERTS in the gun library convinced Me not to shop there any longer.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Was at the Cabelas in the Northern part of Denver and found an old Marlin bolt action tube fed 22. In pretty good shape. Took it into the Gun Library to askefor a bore light. Guy right away cut off the zip tie and got me a bore light. Looked good and I had been looking for a tube fed bolt gun, so off we went. Got on the computer and got that done, went to the counter and after a few minutes wait, paid my background check fee. The worst part was the 25 min wait for the check. Luckily I had a book to read in the truck, so didn't mind waiting. They called on my cell and told me the check was done, come get the gun. Another 5 min. and I paid for the gun (they tried to charge me twice for the background check though) and was walking out the door with my purchase.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Having read almost every post above (with the limited time available to me), I have two words for all of you:
Sportsman's Warehouse

In several cities within 21 states, so far

Index on:
Service (overall)
Selection
Logical Displays
Reloading Components (including lots of powder, more than anywhere else in Fresno or surrounding cities)
Ammo at fair prices
Knowledgeable Answers
Speed of Checkout
Veteran's Discount
Courtesy

Two items as an example:
22LR Aguila 40 gr Interceptor Copper Plated RN $7.59/50 (tax incl, with Vet Discount) $0.158 ea 5-10-2017
9mm Luger (practice) CCI 115gr. Blazer (Brass case) FMJ $14.00/50 (tax incl with Vet Discount) $0.27 ea 6-1-2017
Bulk ammo cheaper, also with Vet Discount and a "Thank you for serving" each time you check out.

...at least for the one in Fresno, CA
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've kept my Cabela's Visa. Superior customer service. When I get enough points, I'll go and get the grey wool socks that I like, or some ammo. The rest of the regular priced stuff is too expensive.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've had very good experiences at Sportsmans Warehouse. But the one in Lewisville, TX closed down for some reason. So the only one I ever go to is the one is Sioux Falls.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since Cabela's and Bass Pro are going to keep their brands separate, I wonder if the competition will lower prices? Or, will they use it to keep them high? :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm I've kept my Cabela's Visa. Superior customer service. ..
Oh. So YOU'RE the one that they treat well. I figured that there had to be someone.