Upgraded Kahr K9 "NYPD Trigger" to "Elite" Status

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Upgraded Kahr K9 "NYPD Trigger" to "Elite" Status

Post by Old No7 »

Well, the folks who said the trigger pin was a "nasty bugger" to get out were right... :shock:

For those not aware, the older Kahr K9 came with a 1/8" longer "NYPD Trigger" pull (thanks to the powers that be at you-know-where) whereas all the polymer models and the later K9s have the better (shorter) trigger pull, aka the "Elite Trigger" system.

Luckily, by switching to a larger ballpeen hammer and also clamping the K9's frame to my bench block and the edge of the workbench (to avoid any "bounce effect", and also so I could hold the punch better), I successfully got that pin out -- and back in -- to upgrade my K9's trigger. While I had the K9 all apart, I replaced the striker spring with a 5# one from Wolff, as I'd already cleaned out the striker channel a week ago (when it turns out a retailer had sent me the wrong spring).

The dashed box on this image shows the 3 parts that I replaced to eliminate the 1/8" longer throw of the NYPD trigger-- the trigger itself, the spring and the spacer. I couldn't really see (by eye) any differences in the last 2 parts, but oh well; I think in total the upgrade only cost $25 or so -- AND a few choice words too! Sometimes all it takes is some extra "verbal lubrication" $&%@#* !! And I am sure I would have used much "more" if I'd scratched the K9's frame, but luckily I didn't... :wink:

K9 NYPD Repl Parts.jpg

Now, not only is the K9's trigger equal to that of my son-in-law's PM9 (which I had sold to him years ago when marriage to my daughter seemed imminent) or my own P9 Covert -- I think it's even better!

I will say this though, getting the new spacer and spring correctly positioned in the hollow back of the Elite Trigger -- while trying to start the original and VERY TIGHT pin in from the left side, while holding a slightly undersized pin in from the right side -- sure did take a few attempts to accomplish (and yes, some "verbal lubrication" was used here too...)

All in all, I am really happy with the outcome of this upgrade... Kahr's Elite Triggers rock!!! :!:

I wish all my double-action revolvers were as good... My S&Ws have all been polished and tweaked, but none are as nice in DA as this Kahr K9.

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Re: Upgraded Kahr K9 "NYPD Trigger" to "Elite" Status

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Verbal Lubrication". I like it. Little did I know there was a technical term for a technique I've been using for decades!!! :D :lol: :wink: