My Levergun Weekend did not work out.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

My Levergun Weekend did not work out.

Post by JimT »

Family situation came up and I needed to be there. I ran out to the range this morning and fired a few shots. Not enough to tell anything yet. My best groups were with the Speer 130 gr. JFP. That doesn't mean anything yet because I only shot 3 groups with each.

I ran some through the chronograph. Both the 125 gr. and the 130 gr. were loaded with 32 gr. H322.

125 gr. AK47 bullet - averaged 2398 fps
130 gr. Speer JFP - averaged 2370 fps

The 125 gr. bullets are seated so the base of the bullet is approximately at the same depth as the Speer 130 gr. bullet. The 125's are too long to work through the action unless you trim the lead tip off.

More to be done.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Levergun Weekend did not work out.

Post by earlmck »

Just for grins I looked at your load in QuickLoad, Jim. QL predicted your 130 gr. Speer velocity very closely (2395 vs 2370) at 38k psi (SAAMI max = 42k). QL predicts 33 grains would hit just under max SAAMI pressure and give 2470 fps.

LVR powder flat works miracles (as far a velocity is concerned) in the 30/30 with 170 grain bullets, achieving a velocity with the 170 about the same as you are getting with the Speer 130 and gave me my best accuracy with that bullet. But LVR is probably too slow to do anything miraculous with the 130 grain bullet. A few years ago I bought a jug of Alliant's "Varmint" because of its advertised good results with 30/30. It was not even close to the LVR powder with my 170 grain bullets but I would bet it would be close to the "miracle" powder with the 130 grain bullet if a feller wanted to experiment that direction. The Alliant powder guide shows 36.7 grains of it getting to 2582 fps, though they are using a 24" bbl.

I'm not faulting your H322 load and velocity a bit -- that would be a pleasant load to shoot and do the job nicely on a deer. My 170 grain load is not bad in the old 7 1/2# Marlin with rubber pad but is downright "ouchy" in the 5 1/2# Winny carbine. But it would be my choice if I went after an elk with the 30.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I did not mention that I am shooting a Model 94 Trapper. I am getting those velocities from the short barrel.
I have a target here from a guy who is experimenting with LVR and the 130 gr. Speer. He is getting over 2800 fps and the target has 3 shots, all touching, at 150 yards. From a Marlin 30-30. There is a special loading technique involved. I am gonna try it as soon as I am able.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

So if I put in a 16" bbl rather than a 20" old Quickload doesn't look so good at predicting your velocities. QL thinks you give up 30 fps per inch of bbl, so instead of being 25 fps optimistic it is 100 fps shy. Which might mean it is underestimating your pressures also -- could be 32 grains of H322 is right there at max.

And maybe LVR powder does still work its miracles with a 130 grain bullet? I didn't even finish my LVR investigation with 150 grain bullets let alone anything lighter; got side-tracked onto some other project. Too many guns and not enough time around this place: I'll be interested in your report Jim.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

According to Speer the pressures are safe. 32 gr. H322 with the Speer 130 gr. bullet is midway between the light load and the maximum load in their loading manual.
Quickload is neat. Pressure guns are really neat!
:D

EDIT: oops ... checked the Speer Manual again ... 32 gr. is 1 grain under max ... not "midway" .....
Last edited by JimT on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, eager to hear how the LVR loads work in your 16-inch barrel. I have high hopes for it in my Marlin in .25-35 Tomcat. Once I get settled in New Mexico, there is a handy public range not far from my new digs. Oh, boy, a place to shoot again!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill ... Mic McPherson is really high on it in the 30-30. I have talked with him about it last month and gotten data from him that I want to try. It will be some time before I get to it but I will post my results when I do.