This 94 has me a little stumped.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

This 94 has me a little stumped.

Post by 2ndovc »

Had a table at the Maumee Valley Gun Collectors show in Toledo today. Did some trading and had a good day with the Old Dude before he heads back to Fl. I picked up a couple of goodies but this one has me a little perplexed. Post '64 Model 94 in .44-40, 20" barrel with some very nice walnut on it. It looks almost perfect and if it's been fired it wasn't more than a few times. S# 4.46 mil puts it about 1975 but it's not listed in the blue books that I have. My Maddis (sp) Winchester book is on loan and can't get to it. There's a near exact duplicate on Gunbroker that shows that one was made in Cananda and imported back to the states but mine doesn't have an import mark. Found some mentions of some similar rifles in AUS but no good info.

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow morning. I'm curious about how unusual this carbine is. If it is at all, but I've ever seen one before.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: This 94 has me a little stumped.

Post by Malamute »

I dont know if they were made IN Canada, but had read or heard they made some 94s made in 44-40 for Canadian sales. Same with some of the commemoratives, some were for Canadian sales only, and some were in 44-40 caliber.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, I believe that Malamute is correct. And some were sold here in the States. I've known a couple of guys that have had them.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ok, so I lifted this off the GB auction that I mentioned. Was this an advertising/ import thing?
The barrel is stamped Made in New Haven Conn. on mine and the one on GB. Just interesting I guess.

My SN# is about 4000 higher.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There was a short time that Winchester had a plant in Canada... I believe that all they did was assemble them. I can't recall off the top of my head exactly when that was, or where I read that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

May be off base here, but could it have been made and originally sold in Canada then brought in by the owner when they immigrated to the US. Wouldn't be any import marks that way.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, the barrel, and possibly other parts, were made in New Haven, then shipped to Canada for assembly, which was likely simpler than shipping fully-assemble firearms there.

Plenty of other "Canadian" Winchester 94's were made/sold in the US - mostly commemoratives (I had one such - a .32 Special Canadian RR Centennial)

Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Heaps of them here in Australia. Only see them in standard configuration not in XTR models.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All new to me. I'd love to have one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 am All new to me. I'd love to have one.
If you had one, you'd probably wish it was an 1892. Both I knew, did! :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, you are probably right. I had one of the 94 trappers in .45 Colt and had issues with the lifter. With heavy handloads it sure was a close-range hammer though.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

When I bought my bad bored M1892 carbine..the guy I got it from threw in a nos Winchester M94 .44-40 barrel(in the white..front sight base too). Has all the normal Winchester model and caliber stamps. Supposedly these barrels will screw right on a M1892 and he had bought one intending to re-barrel the rotten bored carbine.

I remember Numerich Arms selling these .44-40 barrels some years back...Just sayin' I own a Winchester Model 94 .44-40 barrel so it doesn't shock me to see M94 rifles in .44-40 chambering. I can say that I've never seen an M94 in .44-40 besides the above pics....have seen them in .44 mag tho
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

The Canadian plant for Winchester (Western) a division of Olin Corp. was in Cobourg Ontario. Opened in 1970 and closed down in 1979.