LEVERGUN WEEKEND

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

LEVERGUN WEEKEND

Post by JimT »

It's a Levergun weekend.
Picked up a Marlin .44 Magnum. An early one. No safety. Barrel is marked .44 Magnum. Wasn't set up for the .44 Specials, just Magnums. And it had feeding problems. I sent it to my friend Gary Reeder and he got it running .. feeds both Specials and Magnums now. Action is pretty slick. Going out to run several loads through it and see what it likes.

And playing with the Winchester 94 Trapper 30-30. I have a bunch of 125 gr. Spitzers that are made for the AK-47. .311" diameter. I have these loaded with both 3031 and H322. Running them around 2100 fps. I want to sight them in at 100 yards. See which powder gives me the best accuracy.

Also playing with the Speer 130 gr. FP and LeverEvolution powder. Quite interesting.

I may have something to report later on.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: LEVERGUN WEEKEND

Post by AJMD429 »

I always thought it would be interesting to load those 'AK' Spitzer bullets into 32-20 cartridges for subsonic use. I can think of lots of reasons it wouldn't be practical....but that never stopped me from spending time and money doing stupid stuff before... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That .44 sounds like the cat's meow Jim! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What, you can't load those bullets in a levergun. Why the detonation would kill half of the known world, and all of the unknown world. :roll:

Post the results of those loads.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm I always thought it would be interesting to load those 'AK' Spitzer bullets into 32-20 cartridges for subsonic use.
I shot quite a few out of my Marlin 32-20. I ran them at just under 2000 fps .. used 14.5 gr. 296 ... I shot a Great Dane that was chasing cattle. He turned on me and I shot him in the chest just under the throat. He dropped right there. He was huge thing.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm I always thought it would be interesting to load those 'AK' Spitzer bullets into 32-20 cartridges for subsonic use. I can think of lots of reasons it wouldn't be practical....but that never stopped me from spending time and money doing stupid stuff before... :lol:

I have several thousand of those and a few months ago I made a jig and sanded off the pointed nose in a belt sander and loaded them midrange...about 1400 .....then shot them out of an 1892 32-20 and got a 6" group at 50 yards where this gun will shoot cast into 1 and 1/2" at that range.....I stopped experimentation with those results.......probably needed to push them faster like Jim T did but he has a strong steel 32-20 and mine is BP from '93. The bullet is too long for the factory 1-20 twist at the slower velocities.---6

Like Jim did, I'm gonna load them in some other 30 caliber...probably the 06 and burn the barrel out in the BAR.
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I too have been impressed with LEVERevolution powder.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From what I can find out, the bullets for an AK are nominally.311 and a 32-20 is supposed to be .3215. That doesn't sound like it would be good for accuracy. Am I failing to understand something? Does the WW296/H110 cause the bullet to bump up in diameter enough to engage the rifling?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

SAAMI specs for the 32-20

Bore .305"
Groove .311"
Bullet .3125

These vary but most bullets for the 32-20's are .311" from the manufacturers. There are no accuracy issues with them.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Update on the "Levergun Weekend" posted here ... http://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic ... 1c4fac7cc9
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I understand. The 32-20, being a lead bullet originally, was measured from land to land. Now I understand how a jacketed bullet would give good accuracy with a smaller diameter bullet. I know little about the 32-20, and now know about twice as much as I did a few minutes ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A fun ...but finicky .. little cartridge.