Bear Spray versus Firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Bear Spray versus Firearms

Post by jkbrea »

Interesting read. I carried bear spray and a .44 along with my rifle last year elk hunting in Wyoming. A pair of local hunters I ran into preferred firearms and scoffed at bear spray. There may be a difference between an aggressive bear and a "normal" encounter.
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/bear-s ... auled/amp/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear Spray versus Firearms

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The best way to guarantee you will not have a bear encounter- BUY a bear tag!
Murphy's law says if something can go wrong it WILL go wrong
No tag in your pocket you will be swarmed with bears, tag with your name on it there won't be a bear within 50 miles of you!

Bear spray is effective but you need to be familiar with how to use it.

Here where I live we have a lot of bears. You can tell what day of the week it is by all the tossed garbage cans.
I have had bears leave nose prints on the glass doors on back porch. They have chewed the siding trying to get to the bird feeder. Many times I have had to re rig my feeders to out smart the bears.
image.jpeg
this is outside my kitchen window. When I see them here I sneak open a window and toss a pack of firecrackers at them . I've got no issue with bears BUT they do not need to feel comfortable around man!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Four things about using bear spray I have gathered from accounts and watching a video where it was used on a Grizzly:

1. Two hikers here in Canada were badly mauled by a Grizzly. While the bear was working over one of them, the other one emptied their entire can of bear spray into the bears face. Didn't make a difference, but the hiker doing the spray then got worked over as well.
2. The main thing bear spray will do, if you are accurate, is to cause the bear's eyes to clamp shut so it cannot see. If it is charging you, it may continue its charge given how close it will be by the time you are able to hose it in the face, but it may not be able to see. You need to step aside to let the bear charge by; don't just stand there and let it pile into you. If it runs into you, chances are it will be good and mad and even if it can't see, it may still give you an A-1 work-over.
3. Bear spray works better on Blacks than on Grizzlies. On average, Black attacks are due to them seeing you as food, not because it has gotten into a rage (always exceptions of course). If the 'food' hoses them with bear spray, a Black is much more likely to go find something else to eat that does not cause so much burning in the eyes and nostrils. Grizzlies are more likely to attack because they see you as a threat that needs to be dealt with. In this state, a Grizzly is more likely to work you over a bit even if it can't see much due to eyes full of bear spray. (always exceptions)
4. Don't use bear spray to hose down your camp site in the hope that it will deter bears. The smell, wafting on the wind actually attracts them.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

This is all good to know. I have never knowingly been in bear country. I do understand that they are predators and capable of killing and eating a human. Winnie the pooh and Paddington are just stories and detached from reality. I have no desire to become bear food.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is good because when they eat you they sit on you and eat your guts, as if you were a salmon. your screams will be heard for miles.

this is from actual killer bear "incidents".

in Alaska, bear attacks are poo-pooed by ADF&G because they don't want to discourage MREs, er, tourists from augmenting the bears' diet.

piller wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am This is all good to know. I have never knowingly been in bear country. I do understand that they are predators and capable of killing and eating a human. Winnie the pooh and Paddington are just stories and detached from reality. I have no desire to become bear food.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have no idea why anyone who might have the rare remote possibility of getting attacked by a bear would chance their survival with a can of spray. I hear people say, "I'll just play dead" or "I'll climb a tree". Carry a heavy calibered gun and shoot the s-o-b. Worry about the law later. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Over on Marlin Owners a few years ago one of the members posted about a Grizzly attack in Alaska. He was out scouting for an upcoming hunt , in the mountains with a Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 loaded with 525grn pile drivers......He heard the Bear, which was around 50yds in the brush, dropped his pack, brought the rifle up and when He fired the Bear slid to a stop at His feet. The right load at the time. He said it took the bear less than three seconds to close the yardage. bear spray and He would have been lunch.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Look at this from the bears perspective.
Papa bear says to mama bear,
"hey look darlin' that ones carrying pepper spray, I like a bit of pepper garnish on my meat, it helps take away the stench from when it fills its shorts at the sight of me."
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bob, what you DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE BEAR SAY IS

"Lord, thank for the meal you prepared for us."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

then on the other hand, the subject line, taken subjectively and literally is that bear spray has absolutely no chance against a firearm.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

This past June a pair of female geologists were working near the Pogo mine in the Delta Junction area. There are conflicting news reports, but it seems that one of them was attacked, the other deployed the bear spray. The bear left, then came back and mauled one of the women to death. I wouldn't bet my life on it. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/bea ... -1.4174919
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bears are predators. That was simply more proof that humans can be on the menu. I would not want to be unarmed in bear territory.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AKRay......excellent reason to not trust liberal administrators and go with common sense. Like two legged predators, some things need the sixgun slug.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When my son was in Alaska, he tried a bunch of different guns, spray was never a consideration. While he never had to shoot, he did make some observations. The biggest problem is time. By the time you see it, and perceive enough threat to justify shooting, it's gonna be touchy.
He figured handguns were useless for big bears. Too hard to hit with and if it's in the holster, its too late.
The only real rifle option is a Guide Gun with a big loop.
The bolts are too slow for a follow up with big gloves and many of the magnums only hold 3.
He ultimately carried an old 870 Police ( Kodiak PD was inscribed on it) with a mag extension stuffed with slugs. These guns take a beating and he never had to worry about broken or misaligned sights. It shouldered quickly and was easy to manipulate with heavy clothing. Practice was cheap with bird shot. He put countless rounds through it and it was a constant companion.
He still has it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I recall seeing a picture of Tommy Moe, the retired pro downhill skier, guiding a fishing trip in Alaska. He was standing in hip deep water, casting for salmon with a short-barrelled pistol-grip Remington 870 on a sling under his arm. He called it his "bear swatter".
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

Bear spray is better than nothing, but I trust in God and a .45.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm I have no idea why anyone who might have the rare remote possibility of getting attacked by a bear would chance their survival with a can of spray. I hear people say, "I'll just play dead" or "I'll climb a tree". Carry a heavy calibered gun and shoot the s-o-b. Worry about the law later. -----6
What you said. I don't know how to use bear spray. I do know how to use a rifle, pistol or shotgun. I would rather pay a fine than a doctor or funeral bill.
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

If you will carry an 870 while hunting in addition to your hunting rifle you will be very busy dropping one and getting the other into operation. As for spray how about this: I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6