Inaccurate guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Inaccurate guns

Post by AJMD429 »

Guns are inaccurate if they don't have free-floated barrels, or if they don't have precision bedding, or specially-lapped bolt-lugs, and if the barrel isn't cryogenically treated it is usually not going to be very accurate.

All that aside, if you don't use a Leupold or other high-grade optic, the gun's quality doesn't matter anyway.

You can see all that from this video - https://youtu.be/iHGisgq0RQc
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Inaccurate guns

Post by Merle »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 am Guns are inaccurate if they don't have free-floated barrels, or if they don't have precision bedding, or specially-lapped bolt-lugs, and if the barrel isn't cryogenically treated it is usually not going to be very accurate.

All that aside, if you don't use a Leupold or other high-grade optic, the gun's quality doesn't matter anyway.

You can see all that from this video - https://youtu.be/iHGisgq0RQc

HMMM, maybe the Swiss did all that BEFORE surplussing that rifle? :lol:
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. I think it is cool when a firearm just 'looks' like a generic old junker milsurp, but underneath the hood is awesome. Those K-31's are a prime example, and seem to outshoot the new whiz-bang guns costing three times as much, and are as good as the $500 ones that people buy and specially bed and modify.

What I don't really understand though is exactly how a "diopter" sight is different than a regular "aperture" sight. They don't look any different than a regular Williams FP or Lyman Target sight...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The sight; You center the front sight in the rear sight aperture. The front sight is also an aperture. The target is centered in the aperture. A thin ring of light appears evenly around the target making it very easy to notice any shift. One strives to keep the ring of light even.

The shooter IMO needs to work on his bench technique particularly in keeping the fore stock in the same place on the rest. He needs a firmer rear bag because squeezing his sand bag for elevation control leaves variations in density of the bag hence POI changes. Things will much more repeatable with a Rabbit eared firm leather bag. The K31 is another whole subject itself.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Message revised in light of watching the right video....
Last edited by Carlsen Highway on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm Forgive me for being a downer, but having watched that video only the other day, and I was sort of unimpressed. I mean, shooting 150 shots at the target and hitting it three times and one of those a richochet, doesn't sound like a successful outing, nor does it sound like a world record.

I reckon I could shoot at that plate 150 times with my .303 and hit it at least once as well. I mean what he did there is exactly what I would expect to happen if anybody went out there with an old rifle, a truck load of ammo, and got walked in by three spotters. That's what would happen if I had of showed up with my .30/30. Perhaps I am deluded. But, well, you know. You cant just shoot at it a million times and then if you bounce one off the ground into it, then claim you've set a world record in shooting.
Well that is what a spotter is for, isn't it? Considering it was his first exposure to the gun, and milsurp shooting, I'd say he listened to his spotter and made the proper adjustments to get hits. Maybe you're not impressed, but I thought he did a good job under the circumstances. You may do better with your .303, but let's see how you do with an unfamiliar gun the first outing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The sight; You center the front sight in the rear sight aperture.
That doesn't sound right....Merely looking thru the rear aperture centers the front sight. :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A Merit adjustable is a "diopter" sight. And when Hunting I wouldn't use anything else on my .357 92.
That said, Simo "Simuna" Häyhä used a Mosin Nagant with neolithic optics to become the "White Death"... so...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 pm
Carlsen Highway wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:53 pm Forgive me for being a downer, but having watched that video only the other day, and I was sort of unimpressed. I mean, shooting 150 shots at the target and hitting it three times and one of those a richochet, doesn't sound like a successful outing, nor does it sound like a world record.

I reckon I could shoot at that plate 150 times with my .303 and hit it at least once as well. I mean what he did there is exactly what I would expect to happen if anybody went out there with an old rifle, a truck load of ammo, and got walked in by three spotters. That's what would happen if I had of showed up with my .30/30. Perhaps I am deluded. But, well, you know. You cant just shoot at it a million times and then if you bounce one off the ground into it, then claim you've set a world record in shooting.
Well that is what a spotter is for, isn't it? Considering it was his first exposure to the gun, and milsurp shooting, I'd say he listened to his spotter and made the proper adjustments to get hits. Maybe you're not impressed, but I thought he did a good job under the circumstances. You may do better with your .303, but let's see how you do with an unfamiliar gun the first outing.
Marlinman - it wasn't the same video! When I wrote that above I was at work where I cant access Youtube in the link. But I had just watched a video the night before at home that sounded just like what you guys where talking about, with the same swiss rifle....but I just looked now and its the Iraqveteren channel. I know that guy. And its not the same video at all that I was talking about.
Sometimes I am like a cat and think everyones thinking the same thing I am.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain