cutting rebound leg off of Win 94AE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

cutting rebound leg off of Win 94AE

Post by remshooter »

have a 1984 Win -94 AE without any kind of saftey , it has a six pound trigger want to lighten it,and it has missfired on one CCI primer reload ,but has fired everything else ,may just be that lot of Obama era primers ,have orderd extra hammer struts and hammer springs, will cut a few coils from spring to lighten trigger pull ,and I assume the lower 2 legs are the ones i need to cut off (Am I right?) half off to save some of the rebound or all the way off and get rid of it all , ,have done this to a Marlin mod-39 .22 lever action ,no problem ,but it not a centerfire Win ,any one do this without any problems ,and any suggestions before I start?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: cutting rebound leg off of Win 94AE

Post by Pete44ru »

remshooter wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 pm
I assume the lower 2 legs are the ones i need to cut off (Am I right?) half off to save some of the rebound or all the way off and get rid of it all

You're half right......... just shorten the lower leg a little bit at a time, until you obtain reliable strikes (pop primed-only cases to test) and still retain the safety feature.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
On the three we have we cut that lower leg all the way off. You can go the little bit at a time route. But one day you just may get that one primer that refuses to fire at the worst possible moment.... an up close shot at a yote you worked near 20 minute to call in.
Since cutting the rebound legs completely off never ever another failed to fire primer. Been shooting lever rifles over 50 years and never had one go off accidently. Always keep the muzzle pointed in that safe direction and finger off the trigger. No one gets hurt and your primers will always go pop.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Look into Wolff spring, I'm not sure if they make springs for Win or Marlin but worth a few minutes on the web.
6 lbs is a bit much but it's a hunting/working gun. Instead of cutting coils I'd take it down and remove any burrs that might be on the internals, then reassemble and try it. DO NOT go after the sear/hammer surfaces with a stone unless you know you can keep the angles correct!
If you are still not happy with trigger pull try to burnish the sear/hammer faces.
Hold the rifle up-indicular top facing away, cock the hammer and place the hammer in a solid surface (bench top, counter whatever), then pull the trigger while applying down pressure. This technique doesn't remove pull weight but boy does it smooooth out the faces! Repeat a few times and try the pull.
Then after you notice a difference, take it down again, clean the internals , lube & reassemble and go shooting!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!