new Henry!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

new Henry!

Post by Merle »

Greetings,

Got my new .357 mag yesterday and took it to the range today.
It is an 16.5" blue model - I had wanted a 20", but they were out of stock and I didn't want to wait, so....
Now I'm glad I got the 16.5", as it somehow just "looks right" to me.
(OOPPSS on me, I thought it was 18") :oops:
I'm pretty pleased with it - action is pretty smooth, for brand new.
I knew they were heavy, but this was a hair more than I expected - sure eliminates the minute recoil of a 158 gr mag load!
Between the weight and the recoil pad, I barely noticed the round going off - more of a "poof" than a "bang".
My only minor complaint is that I have to work the lever vigorously to get the case out of the action - no gentle levering here.
I was also pleased with the wood to metal fit, although the tube surface could have been smoother - all in all - I'm happy.
Now I have to consider upgrading the sights, as the buckhorn isn't all that friendly to my old eyes.
I'm leaning toward a receiver sight, but don't see any D&T holes for one, so that looks like a gunsmith job.
Any advice here?

Once I get used to the odd shaped lever & the different style of loading the local coyotes better look out!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Merle on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: new Henry!

Post by AJMD429 »

If the receiver top is drilled and tapped for scope mounts like the Marlins are, perhaps the Williams Foolproof ones for the 1894/336 would fit.

I think my 1894 wears a '336' sight out on the front pair of scope holes and it is perfect...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm If the receiver top is drilled and tapped for scope mounts like the Marlins are, perhaps the Williams Foolproof ones for the 1894/336 would fit.

I think my 1894 wears a '336' sight out on the front pair of scope holes and it is perfect...!

HMMM, it is drilled & tapped, so I'll look into those.
Thanks! :)
Merle from PA
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Skinner makes some beautiful sights for all of the Henry rifles. http://skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

765x53 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 pm Skinner makes some beautiful sights for all of the Henry rifles. http://skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

Looks good -- thanks. :)
Merle from PA
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool congratulations. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.