"Hickok" (the 2017 western) -- Thumbs DOWN...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Hickok" (the 2017 western) -- Thumbs DOWN...

Post by Old No7 »

I'm not sure what others will think, but........

DO NOT BUY OR RENT THIS WESTERN.

Don't waste your time or your money.

It's poorly written, over-acted by wanna-be actors, is too predictable, has very little action, and it's also difficult to witness "tough guys" like Bruce Dern or Kris Kristofferson relegated to playing stilted "old man" bit parts.

With the scenery, sets, costumes (although some were "too clean" and not dirty or dusty), and especially the subject matter-- Wild Bill Hickok!! -- it should have had the potential to be a great western...

But it did not deliver..............................

The only highlights were a couple of pretty girls and some fancy gun spinning done by the lead actor, although I wasn't impressed with his canned dialog (blame the writers for that) or his performance otherwise (for which we can blame him).

There's an hour and a half of my life I can't get back.......................... :roll:

Hickok???

I'd rather have had the hiccups for 90 minutes...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Hickok" (the 2017 western) -- Thumbs DOWN...

Post by GunnyMack »

First off, I didn't even know they were making this movie- let alone it was released!
Secondly I have been saying for years that not one single original idea for a movie has come from Hollywood for a long time.

I can't remember the last time I spent my hard earned at a theater!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I am always scouring amazon and Netflix for some of these low budget westerns. Sometimes they surprise me and are decent and sometimes (more often than not) they are horrible.

I had a hard time getting on board with this one. Trace Atkins is not a good actor which sucks because he does lots of westerns lately. Its hard to imagine him (who looks kinda like Wild Bill) as Poe and short haired Luke Hemsworth as Hickok.

I'll bet though that I can top the do not with the new Billy The Kid movie. I have seen kids make better movies for youtube than this film. I literally did not get past the opening scene.

I really do give these movies a shot. Westerns being my favorite style of movie.........I really try to watch the new ones. They are very hit and miss and I am not being over critical of them. I can usually watch even a shotty one if they at least make an attempt at a good plot and have decent guns and half decent actors.

I have long wanted someone to make a real John Wesley Hardin movie and there is a group that is trying to do just that but have been having trouble with funding I believe. I follow them on facebook but so far its just been a pipe dream.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2908444/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

The thing that stuck with me was that he gave himself that nickname "Wild Bill". The men that knew him actually called him "Duck Bill" because of his nose, or "Shanghai Bill" because he was as short as a chinaman. I bet that wasn't in the picture.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for the warning Darryl!