Remington 44 S mold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 44 S mold

Post by marlinman93 »

How's this for a cool find? A first variation Remington mold for the .44-77 SBN. It's marked "44 S" on the side, and "25" on top where the sprue plate covers the number. Not sure what "25" means, unless these were serial numbered?
Needs a new sprue plate built, but I might have a source for repros I think. It's also had a round ball cavity added at some point in it's life, but it was cheap, so no big deal. I have an early Rolling Block in this caliber, so neat to have the mold too!

I'll cast up some bullets once I get a sprue plate, and see how they shoot in my Roller!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington 44 S mold

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cool, bet Pitchy could whip one up for you! You have your choice of a bullet or small game load. Wish more molds were made that way, or have the option. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Spent a bit of time this morning and using some scrap steel, I cut out a close shape to what the sprue plate should be. Then filed, sanded, drilled the shape for the sprue plate. After a test fit I polished it up a bit, blued it, and gave it some patina to match the mold blocks.

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Looks neat, have fun what that.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

To polish it up, cast a bullet in it then drill the bullet base for a 1/8th inch drill blank. Epoxy the drill blank into the bullet and coat the bullet with super fine grinding compound. Chuck the drill blank and turning it sorta slow, polish the bullet mold. It won't open it up half a thousandths unless you really try. I've used this method to make a mold throw a slightly larger bullet and it takes a lot of polishing to get .003 inch.
I have a roller that was in11.7 x 51R but the bore slugs .461 so I opened up a 300 grain .458 mold so I can make bullets for it. I pan lube them and shoot them as cast. I don't even bother to re-size the brass, just re-prime, drop tube the powder and compress it under a card wad. Hand seat the bullet and I'm in business.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't think it needs any polishing, but only casting some bullets will tell for sure. I have several newer molds for the .44-77 Sharps, so if it wont cast a good bullet, I'll simply keep it for display purposes. Considering it's likely from around 1870, it looks pretty darn nice.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That is cool!.......old original moulds have almost the same historical significance as the rifles they were made for. One thing for sure, those babies need leather on the handles.---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm That is cool!.......old original moulds have almost the same historical significance as the rifles they were made for. One thing for sure, those babies need leather on the handles.---6
You're right about the leather needed! If I use it much I'll use gloves, but if that doesn't work I'll have a friend's wife sew me up a pair of slip on leather covers for when I cast with it. Wont leave them on and possibly cause rust pitting.